Celtics Youngsters! lol

hobbibox

The Purrfectionist!
Real Name
Cal
eBay User
Hobbibox
EDIT : This should have been in General or Discussions SORRY!!!

What i've noticed over the last few years is the stupid prices people pay for average players from the celtics, in 04-05 all the hype was Tony Allen and Big Al Jeff and their card prices were crazy , then the new batch of youngsters come along i.e Green Gomes ect and last years players get bumped from the starting line-up and everyone goes crazy for the new batch...then in the upcoming draft they will get a few more rookies and the trend will continue.......this is why I stay away from celts rookies ( and lakers to a smaller extent bynum/wafer ) feel free to bag me or just give your thoughts. The best rookie the celts had they gave to the Wolves ..Marcus Banks this is why the celts are goin nowhere fast.

My team WAS no better the mavs did it for years giving away integeral parts of our team, only in the last 2 years have the mavs learned that a champoin team will always beat a team of champions.

Shoes said:
What i've noticed over the last few years is the stupid prices people pay for average players from the celtics, in 04-05 all the hype was Tony Allen and Big Al Jeff and their card prices were crazy , then the new batch of youngsters come along i.e Green Gomes ect and last years players get bumped from the starting line-up and everyone goes crazy for the new batch...then in the upcoming draft they will get a few more rookies and the trend will continue.......this is why I stay away from celts rookies ( and lakers to a smaller extent bynum/wafer ) feel free to bag me or just give your thoughts. The best rookie the celts had they gave to the Wolves ..Marcus Banks this is why the celts are goin nowhere fast.

My team WAS no better the mavs did it for years giving away integeral parts of our team, only in the last 2 years have the mavs learned that a champoin team will always beat a team of champions.

I kind of agree. There is something about Rookies from Boston which people like, and this isn't a generalization, it's true that all collectors seem to like Boston rookies.

Big Al and Tony Allen have a while to go to really show themselves, I think Delonte West has really proved himself already and he still can become a better player.

Perkins, Big Al, Tony Allen, Gerald Green & Ryan Gomes all have a LOT of stuff to do if they want to prove themselves.

Agreed... and look at the players listed they are all playing very similar roles in the team, I know they also got perkins (bigman) but god dammit Boston 7 similar players/roles cant fill 3 spots on the floor. Its rediculous :(

Marcus who? lol!
I didn't see any of him when he was with the Celts, so I wouldn't know how good he was/is. I don't think he's the best pick out of the lot though, by a long shot. I also don't think if they still had him, they would be better of on for and against.
Seems to be true on the Celts rookies though! It seems Boston always get the guys with potential, even low in the draft list (e.g. Gomes). Also, why was Green left until pick 18 if he's being likened to T-Mac? Or did this info come after the draft?
Anyway, it is good to have players there to back-up for injuries, lol.
Gome's and Green's prices were going off just recently, however, have cooled dramatically, especially Gomes.

i remember watching the draft on ESPN and with each pick after about #5 i kept saying to the missus this will be Green...but he kept sliding...same with Granger he was expected to go a lot higher

Firstly thats just rubbish.

The reason the Celts rookies sell so well is a collector name Secote and the fact the Celtics are the most highly collected team in the hobby period. Thats the main reason. Teams like the Lakers, Celts and NY etc always sell well. Thats the hobby and the way it is.

Also Marcus Banks was a shoot first PG and was rubbish apart from that. Never the next PG and few steps down from West now.

The team that went to the ECF's was never going to make the next step and shored up with overpriced vets. Not to mention idiot owners and Obie who didn't know an offense if it hit him on the head. Dick Harter was the real brains of the defense too before you give Obie the credit.

Thats one of the most uninformed views on the Celts I've read. Sorry mate but its true. Rather than a team that was going to get worse with no cap space and room to improve we still have our all star, young talent and cap space to go with our first round picks. Whats not to like?

I'll bag you shoes as I can see you based your opinion on some quick observations rather than facts. ;)

Well its too true ;-)

There is a lot more to the hobby especially in the US compared to the smaller market of eBay we see. Older collectors prefer to deal in cash at shops and shows etc. I deal with collectors like that all the time. The Celts have a huge following and easily the biggest. Market value is dictated by supply and demand. Hence the high prices ;-) Pretty simple

As far as the team. Banks the best rookie??? Watching a game or two helps at times ;-)

whatever mate watch next year when they draft 2 more hypebunnies and dump 2 from last year to other teams it happens every year :) good to see I yanked a few chains though...that was the intention of the post.

Well a second round player like Gomes, a starting PG like West and a talent like Green late in the draft. To go with Big Perk and the future Jefferson holds. All it proved is you don't watch Celts games or believe eveything written in the media, the same one that hypes guys like Ben Gordon etc.

Anyone that has followed the last 10 years at least will know the last three drafts of the Celts have been the best in years. Ainge has drafted well. Save the troll posts for threads you know the facts in or have a point of view you can back up etc. Us green folk know our stuff and are usually a bit more pasionate about our team.

chadjaja® said:
Well a second round player like Gomes, a starting PG like West and a talent like Green late in the draft. To go with Big Perk and the future Jefferson holds. All it proved is you don't watch Celts games or believe eveything written in the media, the same one that hypes guys like Ben Gordon etc.

Anyone that has followed the last 10 years at least will know the last three drafts of the Celts have been the best in years. Ainge has drafted well. Save the troll posts for threads you know the facts in or have a point of view you can back up etc. Us green folk know our stuff and are usually a bit more pasionate about our team.

speaking of Perk and Jefferson. They have so much potential, imagine when they've fully become great players. You have a textbook old school PF in Jefferson who is much more offensively-efficient than Amare Stoudemire and he's a monster shot-blocker and rebounder too. And you have Perkins, the scrappy defensive monster.

Gomes is awesome.

Big Al had a pretty ordinary year but had a lot of injury problems mainly due to his not wanting to tape his ankles. He is certainly a great prosect especially with his amount of low post moves.

Perkins has come on leaps and bounds and will not be a 20/15 guy but will give us 15/12 easily not to mention being a future leader and enforcer. You can't say enough about his work ethic. Stats don't always tell the whole story.

chadjaja® said:
Big Al had a pretty ordinary year but had a lot of injury problems mainly due to his not wanting to tape his ankles. He is certainly a great prosect especially with his amount of low post moves.

Perkins has come on leaps and bounds and will not be a 20/15 guy but will give us 15/12 easily not to mention being a future leader and enforcer. You can't say enough about his work ethic. Stats don't always tell the whole story.

I agree. He's got the attitude of a Brian Grant ( to all you critics he had a few dominant seasons of 14 and 9 ) but he's got far more ability.

Let's not diss Al Jefferson! He was one of my favourite guys picked in the draft and he has plenty of potential. Sure, he had an ordinary season, 7.2 pg, 5.1 rpg and 0.78 bpg in 18.0 minutes isn't what I was expecting. But if he works hard he will be a Jermaine O'Neal type player, maybe even better and judging on JO's stats in his first few years, Big Al looks to be a step in front. He has all the tools. Good body strength, good quickness, long arms, great timing, great awareness and he's a mature guy. He shoots a great percentage as well and unlike other HS guys, he's not just DUNK DUNK DUNK! (Dorell Wright & Gerald Green have yet to prove themselves)

Ryan Gomes is out of this world. I followed him during his senior season at Providence and quickly became a huge fan. I was dissapointed at him going in the 50's in the draft, but many players have gone far back. He's very undersized but he's such a great prospect. He's a true professional ex-college player who has a polished game as demonstrated by his 7.6 ppg on 48% from the field and a very good 75% from the stripe as a rookie. He's played so well of late, 7.6 ppg, 4.9 rpg as a 50th about pick in the draft. I'd take that any day.

while I do like the looks of the celtics young blokes, I dont think the stats paint a large enough picture (do they ever?)

you can spout numbers all night, but the fact is these numbers didnt reflect in W's...

next draft they might be better off moving in to get themselves an experienced vet who could glue this team together, a shane battier if you will! LOL

"Perkins has come on leaps and bounds and will not be a 20/15 guy "

lol no shit! When is the last time someone averaged that? Maybe Sir Charles?

Back
Top Bottom