A question to nrl collectors

freeballs

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Craig
my father played first grade for the Dragons, played in a Grand Final, which they lost, and afterwards swapped jerseys with his opposite number. He wore that jersey everywhere to training, painting the house etc. Its in REALLY bad shape, but I was wondering if it would be worth contacting Select and wondering if it would be any good for a Swatch card? The material is still fine, just torn in many holes. just old, and I still have the Bunny rabbit plastic piece from the front of the jersey. It was the last time Souths were premiers. I still think it would be ok for cutting into pieces for jersey cards.

Thanks anyone who can give me an answer, i dont want to email Select and sound like a drongo!

Not really sure how to answer this one............from my POV, I reckon the Jersey cards are great, am still working towards getting the 2003 Darren Lockyer card.........If I was at Select, I would consider the player (reputation), career, profile in the game and other such things..........to be honest it would not hurt to ask, what's the worst they can say but no thank you........i say email them............now a side issue, what year was the grand final and who was ur dad?

I think it depends on the player involved....unless it was one of the games greats, I couldnt see them using to be honest. Personally, I would rather keep a piece like that within the family and cherish as something you could hand down to other family members, or contact the club involved (or the NRL) as im sure they would love to display an item like you have.

Cheers
Matt

the jersey belonged to:
RON COOTE -
This player won Man Of The MAtch for the Grand Final 1971, played for Australia 23 times, captained Australia, won the TCN9 PLayer of the Year 1970, The Harry Sunderland Medal 1970.

He actually started the Men Of League Foundation, after bumping into my relative Doug McRitchie in hospital, with cancer. (My great uncle had his ear bitten off by a player back in the day.)

Hey well if its Ron Coote its certainly one of the greats.

It would hurt asking select about it but personally, I would be keeping that piece of RL history in my family.

Cheers
Matt

I have my dads shoulder pads from the Grand Final, and a couple of his old playing jerseys, although they have been ruined by about 200 sigs of past players from the Dragons. I also have his old Wests jersey, untouched. I was given a tracksuit a little while ago, that was worn by the trainer for the Dragons in the 1985 Grand Final! LOL!
I also have the match ball from what I thought was Trent Barretts final game for the Dragons, feel like throwing that at his head! Bring on Round 2 at Kograh Oval next year!

hey freeballs,

What a jersey to have !!!!

I would keep it and tuck it away like others have suggested.

Any prizes for guessing who your dad is then (TW) ?

Cheers
Ross

Slightly off topic but does anyone know why select only ever did the game worn jersey cards once? It's a great idea and works so well in other sports I would love to see it done again.

Back
Top Bottom