2019 TLA Elite - Official Thread

There are only a couple of them (8 or 10) aren't they? Bit like the Women in League redemption card from years back.....so many of them its more an advertisement for the game that really meant to have any huge value.

So what you are saying is that the Spotlight cards at 1 in 12 are also an over supplied card worth the same as a WNRL card ???

What the heck is happening with Elite......how is it that jersey signature booklets, which I happen to think are the best thing since sliced bread and numbered to 40, are not selling for the crazy price of 249. WNRL cards as above going for 50 cents, speed machine sets failing to sell for next to nothing.

Is it a confidence thing in the cards, collation or just greed on the part of the collector who only chase what they want then dump the rest for whatever they can get.

I have done 14 boxes in this release and for the Elite series next year I am planning on 3 cases.

Thoughts.

What the heck is happening with Elite......how is it that jersey signature booklets, which I happen to think are the best thing since sliced bread and numbered to 40, are not selling for the crazy price of 249. WNRL cards as above going for 50 cents, speed machine sets failing to sell for next to nothing.

Is it a confidence thing in the cards, collation or just greed on the part of the collector who only chase what they want then dump the rest for whatever they can get.

I have done 14 boxes in this release and for the Elite series next year I am planning on 3 cases.

Thoughts.

All those factors and more Dave.

There seems to be plenty of newer collectors who take a fancy, bust like mad and after 4 weeks are bored so they dump at ridiculous prices. Once those low prices have been set, I feel there is an expectation from buyers that the same card should be readily available at that price.

What the heck is happening with Elite......how is it that jersey signature booklets, which I happen to think are the best thing since sliced bread and numbered to 40, are not selling for the crazy price of 249. WNRL cards as above going for 50 cents, speed machine sets failing to sell for next to nothing....

The number of cases produced has increased over last year - yet again - meaning there is even more product.

Master Set collectors have been pretty much knocked out of collecting, meaning there are way fewer collectors looking for something and competing for certain cards to drive prices up.

There are some Team Set collectors who cannot or will not chase higher end inserts.

Some specific teams simply do not appear to have more than a couple of serious collectors so the lack of demand for those teams drives prices down in general. eg, I think there are 2 or 3 Panthers Black Diamonds on eBay at already low prices. Conversely, some teams have more than 5 serious collectors so those team's prices will always be a bit higher.

The prices of cards at the END of a previous year's release seem to be the starting price for the beginning of the next year's release, especially for non-numbered inserts.

Basically supply has gradually increased while demand has seriously decreased.

My opinion, you will not "make your money back" on a case this year unless you hit a 1 of 1 jersey card or a Golden Ticket and most non-numbered inserts are about as valuable as base cards!

All those factors and more Dave.

There seems to be plenty of newer collectors who take a fancy, bust like mad and after 4 weeks are bored so they dump at ridiculous prices. Once those low prices have been set, I feel there is an expectation from buyers that the same card should be readily available at that price.

This has been happening for 4-5 years now.

Buy and bust hard...get credit card bill...dump to market.

I feel for the dealers.

Beautiful cards though. I busted a NSW Captain and now am chasing the set. The commons are mint.

The number of cases produced has increased over last year - yet again - meaning there is even more product.

Master Set collectors have been pretty much knocked out of collecting, meaning there are way fewer collectors looking for something and competing for certain cards to drive prices up.

There are some Team Set collectors who cannot or will not chase higher end inserts.

Some specific teams simply do not appear to have more than a couple of serious collectors so the lack of demand for those teams drives prices down in general. eg, I think there are 2 or 3 Panthers Black Diamonds on eBay at already low prices. Conversely, some teams have more than 5 serious collectors so those team's prices will always be a bit higher.

The prices of cards at the END of a previous year's release seem to be the starting price for the beginning of the next year's release, especially for non-numbered inserts.

Basically supply has gradually increased while demand has seriously decreased.

My opinion, you will not "make your money back" on a case this year unless you hit a 1 of 1 jersey card or a Golden Ticket and most non-numbered inserts are about as valuable as base cards!

One of the issues is that statement 'You won't make your money back'.....does it have to be about that?

I think Mike sums it up the main reason for the decline IMO:

Master Set collectors have been pretty much knocked out of collecting, meaning there are way fewer collectors looking for something and competing for certain cards to drive prices up. (Reasons Sets too big, too frequent and too expensive + small element of 1/1s. This drives lower demand and the sheer volume of low end inserts means subsets like WNRL and Speed Machine level inserts will always end up as cardboard give aways)

There are some Team Set collectors who cannot or will not chase higher end inserts. (I chase them but with patience some are just too expensive and therefore hard to justify the immediate up front spend at time of release while prices are hot with other spends in life taking priority)

Some specific teams simply do not appear to have more than a couple of serious collectors so the lack of demand for those teams drives prices down in general. eg, I think there are 2 or 3 Panthers Black Diamonds on eBay at already low prices. Conversely, some teams have more than 5 serious collectors so those team's prices will always be a bit higher. ( Unfortunately for me the Dragons supporters are idiots and will happily over pay market value, I'll buy all your Tariq Sims booklet cards at $249.....)

I think we also loose a lot of come and go collectors who aren't rusted on who think they can make money out the hobby, whilst those of us individual long term collectors accept our loses and the value for us comes from the love of the hobby.

I think it is a great release and looking forward to Brendan's annual review and subsequent member feedback.

Cheers
Ross

Group breaks definitely bring the values down a little. More people get their teams cards straight off the bat plus random team draws will lead to more People dumping cards they dont need of an unwanted team.

Plus there is being more stock busted in general to have more available for sale.

Team breaks probably took off in a frenzy around 2014/2015 as I remember razzes being the ‘in’ thing in 2014 and being very profitable for those doing it. Then the breaks really stepped up after that

Group breaks definitely bring the values down a little. More people get their teams cards straight off the bat plus random team draws will lead to more People dumping cards they dont need of an unwanted team.

Plus there is being more stock busted in general to have more available for sale.

Team breaks probably took off in a frenzy around 2014/2015 as I remember razzes being the ‘in’ thing in 2014 and being very profitable for those doing it. Then the breaks really stepped up after that

Mmmm maybe this holds some weight as well. As I suppose you could assume the people taking up the 16 team spots would alternatively be buying 16 boxes if the team break case split (10 boxes) wasn't around. However not sure this explains the price drop as much as the mass buy up and dump on Ebay from a lot of resellers.

I still think it is the change away from Master set collecting to Team or PC collecting. I for one, like many, was a Master set collectors in the Select days as it was very feasible to achieve. TLA made this impossible.

Remember how much, sort after and overpriced the 2003 XL John Scandalis POY card was because of Master sets collectors.

Cheers

About 3 to 4 years ago i would pay most asking prices for auto,s.Now due to my financial situation i have to be patient and wait for the right price to come along before i buy certain cards.I think esp/tla have made huge progress with their releases,and hope they continue to do so.As one member said earlier,he thinks the booklet auto is the best release so far.I think it was the Marvel set,whatever comes out in the future,im sure we will still be supporting the hobby.And supporting each other in our collecting goals.

I haven’t purchased a single pack of Elite. I love busting the product but the endless cost has gotten to me in the end and id prefer to pump my spare cash elsewhere,mainly fuel for
The V8 😂 with rego and insurance costing roughly $2400 all up the busting of cards becomes a luxury i cant afford as does paying decent costs for secondary cards people are
Willing to sell for almost nothing

I think Mike sums it up the main reason for the decline IMO:

Master Set collectors have been pretty much knocked out of collecting, meaning there are way fewer collectors looking for something and competing for certain cards to drive prices up. (Reasons Sets too big, too frequent and too expensive + small element of 1/1s. This drives lower demand and the sheer volume of low end inserts means subsets like WNRL and Speed Machine level inserts will always end up as cardboard give aways)

There are some Team Set collectors who cannot or will not chase higher end inserts. (I chase them but with patience some are just too expensive and therefore hard to justify the immediate up front spend at time of release while prices are hot with other spends in life taking priority)

Some specific teams simply do not appear to have more than a couple of serious collectors so the lack of demand for those teams drives prices down in general. eg, I think there are 2 or 3 Panthers Black Diamonds on eBay at already low prices. Conversely, some teams have more than 5 serious collectors so those team's prices will always be a bit higher. ( Unfortunately for me the Dragons supporters are idiots and will happily over pay market value, I'll buy all your Tariq Sims booklet cards at $249.....)

I think we also loose a lot of come and go collectors who aren't rusted on who think they can make money out the hobby, whilst those of us individual long term collectors accept our loses and the value for us comes from the love of the hobby.

I think it is a great release and looking forward to Brendan's annual review and subsequent member feedback.

Cheers
Ross

Was on the cards this weekend but a few things have popped up. Maybe next weekend.

Mmmm maybe this holds some weight as well. As I suppose you could assume the people taking up the 16 team spots would alternatively be buying 16 boxes if the team break case split (10 boxes) wasn't around. However not sure this explains the price drop as much as the mass buy up and dump on Ebay from a lot of resellers.

I still think it is the change away from Master set collecting to Team or PC collecting. I for one, like many, was a Master set collectors in the Select days as it was very feasible to achieve. TLA made this impossible.

Remember how much, sort after and overpriced the 2003 XL John Scandalis POY card was because of Master sets collectors.

Cheers
I remember the Skandallis card being considered rarer from 2003. Was ever a reason given.? Was it because of a production error?

Sadley this years elite inserts have bottomed out beyond belief.I just seen 8 dragons inserts go for 4.25.
2 speed machines
1 custodian
1captains card
4 WNRL
There were a lot more different teams go for around the same amount from the same seller.This in one way is good for the small collector,but not so good for the dealers who hope to recoup some money back for the outlay they put out.

Sadley this years elite inserts have bottomed out beyond belief.I just seen 8 dragons inserts go for 4.25.
2 speed machines
1 custodian
1captains card
4 WNRL
There were a lot more different teams go for around the same amount from the same seller.This in one way is good for the small collector,but not so good for the dealers who hope to recoup some money back for the outlay they put out.

A full set of speed machine just went for $17 on eBay including postage. About 0.50 a card or you could buy two packs and try and get 1 speed machine

Back
Top Bottom