2014 EPL Off-season/Transfer thread

Weve taken chambers by the looks of things, which i dont mind but for 16 mil is just stupid when we have jenkinson sitting there aswell and there so similar
Word is Jenkinson is to be loaned out.

Lovren liverpool done deal! Interesting who else from southhampton do they want
Really starting to feel sorry for them. They've been decimated by departures! Pretty sure no one has come in yet. Relegation favourites anyone?!

They signed a gun replacement for lallana in tadic, i consider that an upgrade even though hes un proven in the epl i think he will kill it but yeah they have been decimated otherwise

Shaw lovren lalanna lambert chambers

Far out there isnt much left hahah

Lol tottenham double swoop for rodriguez and schneiderlin

There is literally going to be nothing left

Tadic and pelle will be thinking wtf have we gotten ourselves into here

chambers @ 16mill is ridiculous. he'll be a handy player to have im sure, but the price tag is just too much. english players seem to always go for twice as much as they should...
@noodles34: not sure who's considered number 1 at spurs now with the vorm arrival? bit of an overkill to bring in another top rated GK. one of them is bound to get p!ssed off once they figure out who's getting the starts...much like the chelsea situation.
the saints will announce later this week that theyre leaving the EPL to play 5 a side futsal...

Van Gaal: I've Inherited a Broken Squad.

making excuses already? saying moyes was given a champion squad and his is broken is pretty weak. its the same squad just with a couple of moyes' additions.

Last edited:
chambers @ 16mill is ridiculous. he'll be a handy player to have im sure, but the price tag is just too much. english players seem to always go for twice as much as they should...]

It is pricey but I did read a theory somewhere that he may be utilised as the def mid we've been looking for. So in that sense perhaps a cheap option? Not sure I believe it anyway when there's talk of Jenkinson being loaned out.

@noodles34: not sure who's considered number 1 at spurs now with the vorm arrival? bit of an overkill to bring in another top rated GK. one of them is bound to get p!ssed off once they figure out who's getting the starts...much like the chelsea situation.]

Spot on with the Chelsea reference. Had seen a while back a rumour about Lloris looking to move on. Perhaps there's something there.

[the saints will announce later this week that theyre leaving the EPL to play 5 a side futsal...]

LOL!!

Vidal verbally agrees with Man U?

Reus's name been thrown around at Anfield and OT, I'm guessing these are still rumours.

Origi signs with Liverpool, loand back to Lille, Agger to Barcelona? and anyone know why Remy didn't pass his medical? Seems like cold feet by Liverpool, if this is the case, they shouldn't have wasted the players time in the first place. Maybe a bigger name player is in the mix now?

and anyone know why Remy didn't pass his medical? Seems like cold feet by Liverpool, if this is the case, they shouldn't have wasted the players time in the first place. Maybe a bigger name player is in the mix now?
There must be someone else. Harry reckons Remy had already had a medical with QPR, Newcastle and the French national team in recent times claiming "he's a fit lad".

lampard to city. done. loan. wenger brings up an interesting point about having sister/farm teams hold on to players in an attempt to bypass FFP. not saying thats what happened here, but it opens the door for future transactions.
lukaku back to everton. for good this time. 28mill.
more vidal nonsense aswell. feels the same as a couple of seasons ago with all the sneijder talk. i think itll end the same with vidal staying in italy.

Van Gaal: I've Inherited a Broken Squad.

making excuses already? saying moyes was given a champion squad and his is broken is pretty weak. its the same squad just with a couple of moyes' additions.

The context of the quote was about broken spirit and too many of the same player type especially midfielders, and it's true.

It's not an excuse but a fact. Blind freddy could see they needed a playmaking midfielder, yet they add Mata and what's his name again, the big dud with huge hair. lol. But their biggest mistake was signing Moyes. Incredible they would even consider him for such a big position. They all wanted him to be Fergie II, and much like Jordan 2.0, it fails dismally. Sorry Harold Miner and Co.

They will bounce back but I doubt they'll win the league (unless Rooney and Van Persie carry them all the way)

Last edited:
The context of the quote was about broken spirit and too many of the same player type especially midfielders, and it's true.

It's not an excuse but a fact. Blind freddy could see they needed a playmaking midfielder, yet they add Mata and what's his name again, the big dud with huge hair. lol. But their biggest mistake was signing Moyes. Incredible they would even consider him for such a big position. They all wanted him to be Fergie II, and much like Jordan 2.0, it fails dismally. Sorry Harold Miner and Co.

They will bounce back but I doubt they'll win the league (unless Rooney and Van Persie carry them all the way)

yeah, i get that. but i still feel hes laying groundwork for failure. passing the buck. even if its just onto his broken players.
strange that the first thing LVG done was to bring in another player that can fill the spot he already had numerous players capable of playing...
agreed moyes was never the right man for the job tho.
and mata is a play-making mid? wont mention mop-top.
RVP and rooney could have their best seasons to date and i still doubt theyd win the league. struggle for top 4 at best i think is a pretty fair prediction...

Last edited:
yeah, i get that. but i still feel hes laying groundwork for failure. passing the buck. even if its just onto his broken players.
strange that the first thing LVG done was to bring in another player that can fill the spot he already had numerous players capable of playing...
agreed moyes was never the right man for the job tho.
and mata is a play-making mid? wont mention mop-top.
RVP and rooney could have their best seasons to date and i still doubt theyd win the league. struggle for top 4 at best i think is a pretty fair prediction...

Mata is an attacking mid, Herrera is a central midfielder and should carp all over what's there at present.

For me, he's looking at the squad, and making a judgement call. When you're used to managing clubs like Barcelona and teams like the Netherlands, it must be a bit shit to arrive at Glory, Glory Man Utd and have to look at the previously assembled dross (with a few exceptions) on a daily basis. :lol:

You're an Arsenal fan? Is Bellerin a chance to play 1st team?

Mata is an attacking mid, Herrera is a central midfielder and should carp all over what's there at present.

For me, he's looking at the squad, and making a judgement call. When you're used to managing clubs like Barcelona and teams like the Netherlands, it must be a bit s*** to arrive at Glory, Glory Man Utd and have to look at the previously assembled dross (with a few exceptions) on a daily basis. :lol:

You're an Arsenal fan? Is Bellerin a chance to play 1st team?

attacking mids can be play-makers? mata has proven himself as one i think. and i only mention herrera because he was on the list of 'similar' players that van gaal mentioned. but yeah, LVG will prove his worth if he can get united back to title contenders anytime soon.
not exactly an arsenal fan, but i dont mind watching them play. bellerin will get very limited time in league matches this season id say. apparently he had an alright pre-season, but i doubt thats enough to put him as 2nd string. debuchy will obviously be first choice with chambers as back up. hard to say tho since we dont know which of them will be injured for most of the season yet.
just my opinion of course...

Mata provides no defensive cover, can't head or tackle. His natural position is AMC. He is a front third player, he is not a central midfielder. My use of playmaker may have caused this confusion.

Everything i read about Bellerin is positive. I'm just looking for a cheap defensive option for my fantasy team.

Last edited:
Mata provides no defensive cover, can't head or tackle. His natural position is AMC. He is a front third player, he is not a central midfielder. My use of playmaker may have caused this confusion.

Everything i read about Bellerin is positive. I'm just looking for a cheap defensive option for my fantasy team.

yes, i think the word play-maker threw me off a little. a play-maker doesnt need to be great at heading, tackling or providing cover...in my opinion anyway.
i wouldnt use bellerin in a fantasy squad. youd just be throwing your money away for zero points every week. i think de laet (leicester) could be an alright cheap option.
which fantasy game do you play? fpl im assuming? im still trying to get peeps on here to get into the yahoo one. its by far the most accurate (i.e. regarding points given for actions accomplished).

a blow for man united. howard webb retires.
howard-webb.jpg

im just kidding of course. i personally never thought he was all that bias towards them...

yes, i think the word play-maker threw me off a little. a play-maker doesnt need to be great at heading, tackling or providing cover...in my opinion anyway.
i wouldnt use bellerin in a fantasy squad. youd just be throwing your money away for zero points every week. i think de laet (leicester) could be an alright cheap option.
which fantasy game do you play? fpl im assuming? im still trying to get peeps on here to get into the yahoo one. its by far the most accurate (i.e. regarding points given for actions accomplished).

I used to play yahoo, and pretty much every other comp but I really don't have the time to invest in these comps. I'm obligated to play one fpl league, and that's about it for me.

As for De Laet, Leicester play Everton, Chelsea and Arsenal in their 1st 3 games, so I won't be touching him.

I used to play yahoo, and pretty much every other comp but I really don't have the time to invest in these comps. I'm obligated to play one fpl league, and that's about it for me.

As for De Laet, Leicester play Everton, Chelsea and Arsenal in their 1st 3 games, so I won't be touching him.

yeah, yahoo does take a lot longer to organise. ive narrowed my leagues to yahoo and the fpl, but i dont really pay much attention to fpl because yahoo takes up to much time.
leicester do have tough fixtures, but de laet should (should being the operative word) get 90mins each game. he'll lose out on CS but should get quite a few successful tackles/clearances/blocks and at 4units you cant really complain. hes in my first draft anyway...
trippier @5 is also a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom