2013/14 Ashes non Official thread !!

Taking a bit of a risk playing Harris aren't they? Odds on him breaking down?? He looks rather dishevelled and a bit second-hand as well....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013/content/story/661583.html

Excellent piece by respected cricket writer Brydon Coverdale on the way technology has made the life of an umpire extremely difficult. A lot of commentators are experts after the event, and I particularly liked these two lines:

"Of course, Hill has made mistakes. He is human. Every umpire in this series has erred. Every umpire in every series throughout history has probably erred. Dickie Bird erred. David Shepherd erred. Tony Crafter erred. But commentators did not forensically dissect every aspect of a decision. That's out, they said. Not, that's out unless he hit it, and let's see if he did, and unless it pitched outside leg, and let's see if it did, and unless it was sliding down leg, and let's see if it was."

"But technology creates unrealistic expectations. Mistakes are unjustly magnified, wrongly made to appear proof of complete incompetence. How could an umpire get that wrong? That decision that we've just seen six times in slow-motion from four angles and with the help of technology? What a buffoon!"

Lyon had the chance to review but didn't, so it's his bad it was given out. A batsman's gotta know where his stumps are.......
You're right, Matty, on the expectations on the umpires with all the technology available for the post-decision forensics; I'm reading a book by Malcolm Knox on the 1948 Invincibles, and a number of players mention being not given out for snicks, stumpings and run outs - they got away with decisions that in all probability wouldn't have created any discussion if they'd kept mum. What happened on the field tended to stay there, until they came around to writing their memoirs.
Cameras couldn't see with the detail they have now, and no snicko....
DRS worked well on the Chris Rogers dismissal; defy anyone to make a call on that from the umps end in real time. The glove deflected the ball ever so slightly, difficult to see even in slo-mo, and the Hot Spot came good for the fielding side. Not good from an Aussie perspective, but a credit to the DRS working as it should.
Watson injured again....(yawn).......

Be stuffed.......I am reading the SAME book hahaha. I was naive to think that it was only the Australian team on the cruise to England....there were 573 passengers!

I just think that the DRS in its current form should be abolished. Allow the the third umpire to rule on "line" decisions like run outs and stumpings and also low catches when referred by the controlling umpires - I also don't mind the occasional checking for no-balls.

Hot-spot is unreliable as it uses a fixed camera (as has always been the case) and as for Hawkeye.........there is just no way that it can predict that the ball is clipping the outer-half of the top of leg bail and have that judgement used to confirm or deny an out or not out.

I also unreservedly apologise to Ian Bell.......it seems you CAN bat after all!

That's four hundreds in his last five Tests against Australia and 20 in total. When you look at the records of Cook, Bell and Pietersen it is a mirror-image of players in the top six that we used to field.

Lyon had the chance to review but didn't, so it's his bad it was given out. A batsman's gotta know where his stumps are.......
You're right, Matty, on the expectations on the umpires with all the technology available for the post-decision forensics; I'm reading a book by Malcolm Knox on the 1948 Invincibles, and a number of players mention being not given out for snicks, stumpings and run outs - they got away with decisions that in all probability wouldn't have created any discussion if they'd kept mum. What happened on the field tended to stay there, until they came around to writing their memoirs.
Cameras couldn't see with the detail they have now, and no snicko....
DRS worked well on the Chris Rogers dismissal; defy anyone to make a call on that from the umps end in real time. The glove deflected the ball ever so slightly, difficult to see even in slo-mo, and the Hot Spot came good for the fielding side. Not good from an Aussie perspective, but a credit to the DRS working as it should.
Watson injured again....(yawn).......

Sorry, i forgot that the umpire in the middle has no responsibility to make the right decision. Just have a stab in the dark and if the batsmen decides not to review (might need to save it for later, might not have a review left, might not trust the horrible DRS system and want to waste a review) then it's his fault for being out!

We can't have it both ways.

We either rely on the umpires, the DRS or a combination of both......which in this series has resulted in complete and utter farce.

Professional sport is trying its hardest to remove the human element from every f**king thing imaginable when it comes to officiating but these sporting bodies forget that without the human element, there is no point even playing the bloody game!

The irony is that we constantly have it rammed down our throats that apparently we live in the "modern professional" era of sport - yet can anyone remember a time where MORE confusion has existed in relation to making an umpiring decision? All because of stupid bloody TV gimmickry which is based mostly on guess work!

Going for a lie down now! :)

We can't have it both ways.

We either rely on the umpires, the DRS or a combination of both......which in this series has resulted in complete and utter farce.

Professional sport is trying its hardest to remove the human element from every f**king thing imaginable when it comes to officiating but these sporting bodies forget that without the human element, there is no point even playing the bloody game!

The irony is that we constantly have it rammed down our throats that apparently we live in the "modern professional" era of sport - yet can anyone remember a time where MORE confusion has existed in relation to making an umpiring decision? All because of stupid bloody TV gimmickry which is based mostly on guess work!

Going for a lie down now! :)

Completely agree with you there Matt. It's just getting ridiculous...

M.S Dhoni is the only test captain not to have DRS whilst his team is playing a series, maybe he is on to something.

Cricket is a traditionalist sport, lets stick with the umpires decision. At the same time we need high caliber umpires so these decisions aren't howlers.

I reckon the umpiring has gone downhill since the neutral umpire system was brought in. Also, if a pommie ump was in charge, there'd be no way they would have left the field the other day for 'bad light' Any English umpire would have seen the clouds were soon to clear: common sense would have prevailed, and they would have stayed on.
By not allowing Aus/Eng umpires in their own games is telling them they can't be trusted...........come on!!

299 to win.

I'd love to say that we are a chance, but I don't think we'll get within a bull's roar of that. If England bowl well it might be all over by stumps tonight.

Lost our way with the half-volley, bouncer routine after the double strike from Harris early.

Back
Top Bottom