2013/14 Ashes non Official thread !!

aussiecricketer

Silly mid on....
Real Name
Damian
Greetings fellow collectors, visitors, cricket lovers, OCT and Mafia members.

With the cricket forums being so quiet of late ( I am as guilty as the next ), thought I would put my hand up to generate the 2013/14 Ashes non Official thread !! Being that we are celebrating an away and home series in the one calendar year, we should all have lots to chat about !!

Lets ensure we all keep the chit chat alive in here as we discuss and celebrate our beloved game.

Aussies Ashes squad Michael Clarke (capt), Brad Haddin (vice-capt, wk), David Warner, Ed Cowan, Phillip Hughes, Shane Watson, Usman Khawaja, Chris Rogers, Matthew Wade (wk), James Faulkner, Ryan Harris, Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird.

Pommie Ashes squad - TBA

in ENGLAND

First Test 10th - 14th July 2013, Trent Bridge

Second Test 18th - 22nd July 2013, Lord's

Third Test 1st - 5th August 2013, Old Trafford

Fourth Test 9th - 13th August 2013, Riverside Ground

Fifth Test 21st - 25th August 2013, The Oval

in AUSTRALIA

First Test 21st - 25th November 2013, Brisbane

Second Test 5th - 9th December 2013, Adelaide

Third Test 13th - 17th December 2013, Perth

Fourth Test 26th - 30th December 2013, Melbourne

Fifth Test 3rd - 7th January 2014, Sydney

So there you have it, the dates have been mentioned, the Aussie squad has been named.... now jump in here and give it your 5 cents worth people.... and that includes you my old mate Alex !!

Love to hear everyone's thoughts on the make up of the teams, who you think will star, who you think will fail, who you think will get dropped, who you think might be a late inclusion, who you think Man of the Series will be, who you think will be the highest run scorer, who you think will be leading wicket taker etc etc etc.... there is so much to talk about !

I wont start with any banter just yet, nor my views and thoughts, I will leave it for things to warm up.

In celebration of cricket, I will be offering a prize or prizes during the Ashes campaign. Make sure you check back here regularly for your chance to win !!

Keep smiling and happy collecting
Damian :thumbsup:

Good job Damian!

I would think that the away series will be probably 3-0 to England. I cannot think of any area in which the Australian team holds the upper hand and think we will have far too many 150-200 scores to try and defend.

If the weather is fine (rain-wise) it could end up 4-0 or 5-0, which is my pragmatic view. England are sharp, hungry, professional, acclimatised to the red-ball conditions and would probably win an eleven man v eleven man battle by a margin of maybe 8-3 when you lined up records and form.

I think any hope we have rests with Rogers, Cowan, Clarke and even Haddin batting for long periods and grinding out a 250-300 score which would give Siddle, Starc and Bird something to defend.

There is an "iffy" element to England's batting, with Compton out of form, Bell inconsistent and both Root and Bairstow still young. If we can get Cook early, it might make things interesting.

After all these ramblings, my predictions for the first leg is:

Series: England 3 Australia 0
Most Runs: England - Jonathan Trott Australia - Chris Rogers
Most wickets: England - James Anderson Australia - Jackson Bird

great thread mate
England 3-1
for England trott to get the most runs and jimmy jimmy jimmy jimmy Anderson the most wickets
for Australia Clarke the most runs and Siddle the most wickets

pity Cummins is injured. the conditions should suit Bird the most out of all the Australian bowlers. if he gets he's length right he will take wickets but the big concern for Australia is getting runs on the board consistently. cant rely on Clarke all the time. Smith has been added to the squad. test 1 my Australian line up is Warner and Watson to open Cowan 3, Clarke 4, Khawaga 5, Wade 6, Siddle 7, Pattinson 8, Lyon 9 and Bird 10. Harris to carry the drinks

Compton made 160 odd for his county squad not long ago so he'll get the nod. KP hit an unbeaten 177 recently. Root looks a very good player and Prior is pretty much a batsman. England will be Cook and Compton to open, Trott 3, KP 4, Bell 5, Prior 6, Broad 7, Swann 8, Anderson 9, Finn 10. this is pretty much guaranteed. Root to carry the drinks

not long to go. im counting down the days. hopefully England have a good summer so there's plenty of play.

You could scarcely believe it possible, as Mr Benaud would say! Can't tell me that this isn't a player-driven Witch Hunt. I just don't care any more, the parts of the sport that aren't corrupt or money-driven are micro-managed and agenda-driven.

International cricket can get f**ked as far as I am concerned.

I couldn't care less about the ICC Champions Trophy, test cricket is the real cricket! Bring on the Ashes, our fast bowlers are more than capable but our batting......

We need someone other than Clarke to bat 'tough' and value their wicket. I don't care if the innings looks ugly but it is time for the Top order to stand up nd I think Boof Lehmann can instill ths kind of attitude as he has done in QLD

Oh wow. Australian cricket is a shemozzle! :eek:

We'll be doing well to get a win in the away series. Anyway to predictions -

Series Result: 4-1 to England
Most wickets: Anderson and Harris
Most runs: Cook and Clarke

Hard to pick the teams of both countries for 1st Test, will depend on weather, ground conditions, etc.

And finally, if we're down (say) 3-1 leading into the last Test, I hope they give Ashton Agar a go. I reckon he'll be a great player once he's a bit older and matured. :thumbsup:

I think we have the bowlers in siddle,patterson,bird and harris to get 20 wickets but can we score enough runs to give them something to bowl to,I think rogers and cowan should open the batting and grind out a parthnership,we need a good start to give us every chance of a 350-400 score which is what we need to give our bowlers something to bowl at,i really think englands batting could be a bit shaky if put under pressure.I think we will know a lot more after the first couple of days of the first test match.
GO AUSSIES STICK IT UP THE POMS!!!

My questions are these? Ok, india was a disaster, but it was a dustbowl, nothing like england, honestly would have loved a trundle on those spinning wickets myself.(that wasnt a question i know)

so we change the team?. Im not a ed cowan fan, but he is exactly what we need. As weak as our batting is, i think we need to stick with a team....pr0bably like this

Cowan
Warner.......
Hughes
Khawaja
Watson
Clarke
Haddin/that other fella(he could bat!) either one is fine by me.
Starc
Pattinson(if fit)
Krejza(sorry but always think he should have been given a fair go!)nobody spins it more
Bird

If you want swap Siddle or Marsh or cutting in. And rogers, lyon or harris. Might need a few extra batsmen would be handy.

Couple of wildcards there!!!

Let the poms be cocky. Australia will always be a cricket force

Phil Hughes cannot play a moving ball, if we are going to experiment chuck Rogers in at the top. Harris is a risk but if fit us our best bowler and will clean up. I think Siddle has to have a spot also; he doesn't move the ball alit but can bowl long spells on a good line and length and build pressure. For me Haddin over Wade anyday, better keeper and batsmen and the june if 'tough' cricketer we need to turn things around!

Back
Top Bottom