2013/14 Ashes non Official thread !!

Can't believe the Aussies won.
I turned over after Couter-Nile went out to watch Stosur lose again.
Just assumed we lost until a guy at work today said that "England really can't win", which I replied "they won last night didn't they?"
Can't believe I missed it!:mad:
Go Aussies!!!:wave:

The Test squad has been announced for the tour of South Africa:

Michael Clarke(c), Brad Haddin (vc), Jackson Bird, Alex Doolan, James Faulkner, Ryan Harris, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Lyon, Shaun Marsh, James Pattinson, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Steve Smith, David Warner, Shane Watson.

The interesting ones are Bailey out and Marsh in......I think Shaun Marsh can consider himself very lucky, seems to be another selection based on ODI form, as was originally the case with Bailey.

The same Shaun Marsh who scored 0, 3, 0 (when 3 others scored 134, 329* and 150*), 11 (when an opener scored 180), 3 (when 2 others scored 221 and 210), and 0?!?!?!

A total of 17 in 6 innings at an average of 2.833 per innings?!?!?

This was TWO years ago, during a 4-0 drubbing of India at home.

What has Shaun Marsh done to improve?!?!

Sure, Bailey could do more...but really...Shaun Marsh!??!?

Marsh is a absolute shock to me,so now it looks like a race between marsh and Doolan for Bailey's spot though I would like to see Faulkner given a go

Allan Border Medal on tonight at 9:30pm AEST on GEM.

I know it is fairly cringe-worthy but it only runs for an hour this time so hopefully it has been streamlined and more entertaining! Belinda Clark and Mark Waugh are going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame and I guess the race for votes will be open too with the different awards.

Well, Australia certainly dodged a bullet tonight and overall I think a 4-1 ODI series win is very flattering.

I know as much about cricket captaincy as I do about flying spaceships but the one major difference I have noticed between Clarke and Cook is that Pup is always doing the pointing and gesturing and talking in a one-on-one conversation or a mini "Mother's meeting" whereas Cook I think needs to tell everyone else to shut the f**k up while he talks or until he invites them to offer an opinion. I think Cooky has a touch of the Kim Hughes about him - too nice a guy to be captain.

Speaking of which - Happy 60th Birthday to Kim Hughes :)

Well, that ends the home international summer - and you could have written your own ticket on a 12-1 head-to-head result before the season began.

Alastair Cook, Ian Bell and Kevin Pietersen played a combined total of 40 innings against Australia this summer without a century between them, which is a testament to Australia's coaching, captaincy and bowling tactics.

This has been a golden summer, as it was in no way expected and people are mostly talking positively about the game again :)

My brother in law had Australia 5-0 for Tests. I think it was $50...I'll check. But he was happy with that.

Australia have left England tattered and torn. Coach gone. Capt probably gone and on the verge of a nervous breakdown (the poor bastard), Trott, Prior and Swann gone, question marks over Pietersen and Anderson. Bell underachieved. Root left like our Fail Hughes...doesn't know where he stands now.

The only one who can hold their head up is Stuart Broad. Gotta love a panto villain, but he seemed like a decent enough bloke, fairly generous with his time and bowled brilliantly. Plus he has mongrel/psycho qualities of a bowler which I love.

In 1999/00 we won all 6 tests and 9/10 ODIs. In 2000/01, we won all

Wow what a summer of cricket I for one never seen that coming,hats of to the Aussies for their attacking style of cricket plus that little bit of mongrel which the poms didn't like.
England has been sent home a rabble and I reckon we won't see a few of them again.
Lastly where are all the doom and glomers from 6 months ago who couldn't stop bagging the team haven't heard from them over the summer,you know who you are!!!
Go Aussies!!!

I have to say, I never thought we'd win like we did.

I would have been happy jagging a 1-1, 2-2 drawn series, or going down 2-1...something like that.

And the redemption of Mitchell Johnson and Brad Haddin, and to a lesser extent Nathan Lyon, Chris Rogers and David Warner's roles were the stories for me.

Of course, I love Michael Clarke. People grumbling he hasn't scored much since Adelaide, but he scored a ton in Brissy and Adelaide when it meant something and the Ashes were on the line...the stress of winning the series certainly showed, with so much on the line. Well done.

Bring on South Africa. Should be a tops series. And India next summer! Yeah!

These are available as a pre-order from the Cricket Australia store

image.jpg

Reminds me of the very early 90's waiting in line at the merchandise vans at the Adelaide Oval :)

Last edited:
Twelve months is a long time in cricket hey - this time last year Australia was 0-2 down in the away Ashes series, having suffered a 347 run defeat at Lord's.

How times have changed.

England today is a team in disarray, criticised and condemned as it so often was in the 1990's. Kevin Pietersen and Graeme Swann are gone, Alastair Cook clings to his position by a fingernail, James Anderson and Stuart Broad appear tired and ineffective on their own pitches. Jonathan Trott is an unknown quantity, Ian Bell is no longer the top-order "rock" and Matt Prior is no certainty to regain his place after standing down due to injury. The one bright spark from England's trip to Australia - Ben Stokes - is currently experiencing a Greg Chappell-esque run of low scores.

Just an amazing turn of fortune.

....as if to remind us of how this great game of Test cricket can make even the seasoned viewer seem foolish (well me, actually!) - having lost the last Test match to England, India have slipped from 0/8 to 4 for 8 in the space of twelve balls on the first morning at Old Trafford!

Who needs T20 cricket? This is proper excitement!

Yeah but gilchrist kept for his whole career and to some world class bowlers for a long time and we all know keeping is a demanding job

Back
Top Bottom