2008 Hall Of Fame Memorabilia

33WING

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Leigh
eBay User
frontier_basketball_cards_and_memorabilia
These two new pieces caught my eye and I was a little concerned about the ball but after thorough investigation and countless Emails to the owner Abel I was happy to make the purchase after finding out the full story behind the ball.

The ball was won at a charity auction in Springfield Massachusetts by Abel's brother, he does not have an account on Ebay which is why Abel was selling it. The exact amount was not disclosed but that wasn't important, I just wanted this in my collection. It was sent to me from Abel who happens to live in New Britain just south of Springfield.

The only concern I do have is the Patrick Ewing auto, he recently conducted an interview with Michael Kay on Centre Stage and the question was asked about why he doesn't like to sign and the response was he will only sign for special occasions. The signature is not the same as what we see on his cards but he is inconsistent with his signatures, my only explanation is that he has a signature for mass produced items and one for special occasions like this. The photo has his usual signature you would see on his cards but the ball is different.

The great thing is I have another full sized ball on it's way signed by Patrick Ewing only and the auto looks exactly the same but it covers the whole white strip on the ball, the reason I'm happy is because this new one is being sent from Winter Garden, Florida only a few minutes away from Windemere where the great man lives. The story behind that one is even better and some would not believe it but I've exchanged many Emails with the person as well as spoken to him over the phone and he has provided me with enough physical evidence to prove his story is true.

Here's the auction.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Hahahahaha I can see you all now rolling your eyes after seeing that auction and my initial response was "What a load of bullsh*t" also, I can also hear you guys saying why would you buy from a member with no feedback selling an autographed ball with no authentication but I made sure there was enough evidence to back up his story and he was telling the truth, it was a small accident and he provided physical evidence to back it up. Now the reason I'm happy is because my suspicions have been laid to rest in regards to the Hall Of Fame Ball and this shows that the signatures are authentic.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

030.jpg

019-Copy.jpg

061.jpg

060.jpg

058.jpg

057.jpg

055.jpg

053.jpg

Thanks for looking guys.:v:

Greatest Knickerbocker of all time and the reason I feel in love with the NBA. Beautiful pick ups mate.

Brilliant Leigh, what a great interview, I'm sure you felt a whole lot more chuffed with your PC after listening to the great man.

Can't help but click on your maildays mate they are always top notch, you have a PC to envy.......keep up the great work!

Greatest Knickerbocker of all time and the reason I feel in love with the NBA. Beautiful pick ups mate.

Thanks for the comments mate.

Brilliant Leigh, what a great interview, I'm sure you felt a whole lot more chuffed with your PC after listening to the great man.

Can't help but click on your maildays mate they are always top notch, you have a PC to envy.......keep up the great work!

Thanks for the comments mate, It's safe to say that your Gilmore PC & Leadership PC makes mine look rather small in comparison.

Can't say that you don't do your research.... I'm pretty sure the Dantley and Olajuwon sigs are spot on (or very good forgeries!) so hopefully that gives you some degree of comfort! lol I can see why you said the Ewing auto is different - it's almost legible! Great addition mate, if you don't mind let me know where you get one of those ball cubes to store it in and what they generally cost.

I think that the Ewing auto looks consistent with his others, just more legible. beautiful pick up!

Can't say that you don't do your research.... I'm pretty sure the Dantley and Olajuwon sigs are spot on (or very good forgeries!) so hopefully that gives you some degree of comfort! lol I can see why you said the Ewing auto is different - it's almost legible! Great addition mate, if you don't mind let me know where you get one of those ball cubes to store it in and what they generally cost.

Well It's now official that I'm a stalker :lol: It's obvious that I like to do some research before making big purchases and I know if the seller has no story behind it and evidence to back it up then it's too good to be true. I also accept the fact that each piece could be fake and that I will lose my money but I only buy what I'm happy with. I'm going to submit it to PSA in the near future or try to get a quick online approval.

Thanks for the comments.

Wow wow wow i want i want !!!!!

Thanks mate, that's what I said when I saw it.

Huggies!!! :D hahahahaha

That is SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!! Wow I love it!

Thanks for the comments, I had to laugh when the courier come to the front door with what looked to be a box of nappies.:lol:

So the HOF ball comes with COA?
It's an AWESOME piece!

It doesn't come with a COA but the other ball I purchased with the link in post #1 has exactly the same auto, I spoke to this person both through Email and over the phone and he provided sufficient physical evidence to prove the signature is authentic. I'm always happy to take the gamble and as much as I hate it I accept any loss but I always ensure that I've done my Homework/Stalking before making the purchase, If the seller doesn't provide sufficient evidence I simply will not buy. I plan on doing a PSA submission in the near future so I will know for sure when that time comes, Thanks for the comments.

---------- Post added 25-09-2011 at 10:24 AM ----------

I think that the Ewing auto looks consistent with his others, just more legible. beautiful pick up!

Thanks Matt, my guess is that he has a signature for mass produced items like cards, photos and room service receipts which is another piece coming in but this auto is for those special occasions, I don't know this for sure but it' the best I could come up with.

Pat Junior is pretty active on Twitter so I'm thinking about hitting him up for an opinion.:lol:

Hey I've been collecting since 1994, started when I was 5 years old ... This Is an A+ Mailday ... Great Intro. Great Pictures. That's an Historic signed ball ... but his explanation on why he doesn't sign auto's Is weak. Those guys should think about the fans. Without the fans, they wouldn't be who they are today. I think that's very true. BUT, If you're a collector and your guy doesn't sign anymore ... Then If anything, that makes your auto's more precious. Very cool stuff though. Awesome Mailday to say the least. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom