1X hobby of 2022 Bowman

The reality is that 98/100 you make the right decision by selling straight away..... and there is the folly in it all. It's incredibly difficult to hit something decent.

I wish I'd kept track of my cards. The ones that come to mind readily and which I regret selling are Josh Allen numbered 2018 Prizm rookies. I sold them way too early. I also sold some Ohtani stuff in early 2021 which left a lot of money on the table.
But when I think about the hundreds of cards which I sold early and are now dirt cheap....

The reality is that 98/100 you make the right decision by selling straight away..... and there is the folly in it all. It's incredibly difficult to hit something decent.

I wish I'd kept track of my cards. The ones that come to mind readily and which I regret selling are Josh Allen numbered 2018 Prizm rookies. I sold them way too early. I also sold some Ohtani stuff in early 2021 which left a lot of money on the table.
But when I think about the hundreds of cards which I sold early and are now dirt cheap....

I am reluctant to sell anything. I put stuff up occasionally, but I really struggle to part with cards I have.

Fair enough. I was like that at one point. If I had kept all my cards from opening wax I'd have some really decent cards but I'd also have 5 Doncic base Prizms which are now worth 80% less than what I sold them for. Plus 100's of other football and NBA cards which are now worth 90% less than they were during the boom.

On the flipside I'd still have some nice stuff which I pulled but sold due to needing the money.

Haha. Keep up the good work. Jaypers is awesome but he can always do with some help. And Rodriguez prospectors will love it. I hit Rodriguez's green non-auto 1stBowman in my 1.5 hobby boxes of 2021 BC and got $45USD for it on comc which was pretty good imo - despite two other sellers having theirs up for $90 and $120.

I've looked into RV's stats more closely( our retirement prospect) and I think the reason I didn't go with him is that his base autos were double what they are now and his country of origin which despite its large population doesn't seem to throw up anywhere near the amount of serious prospects that the DR does.

His first season was actually very good. .256 as a 17 year old is at least par but his seven HR's are above par. I don't go crazy into the stats( I should) comparing strike outs to walks and strike out ratios in general but the BA+7HR+17 years old is a player that should have much higher priced cards - even with a .220 BA and 1HR.

I'm impressed that you jumped on him. I hve a tiny amount but it's 5 base autos, 1 ref auto and 2 purple ref autos more than I had 48 hours ago😀

Haha. Keep up the good work. Jaypers is awesome but he can always do with some help. And Rodriguez prospectors will love it. I hit Rodriguez's green non-auto 1stBowman in my 1.5 hobby boxes of 2021 BC and got $45USD for it on comc which was pretty good imo - despite two other sellers having theirs up for $90 and $120.

I've looked into RV's stats more closely( our retirement prospect) and I think the reason I didn't go with him is that his base autos were double what they are now and his country of origin which despite its large population doesn't seem to throw up anywhere near the amount of serious prospects that the DR does.

His first season was actually very good. .256 as a 17 year old is at least par but his seven HR's are above par. I don't go crazy into the stats( I should) comparing strike outs to walks and strike out ratios in general but the BA+7HR+17 years old is a player that should have much higher priced cards - even with a .220 BA and 1HR.

I'm impressed that you jumped on him. I hve a tiny amount but it's 5 base autos, 1 ref auto and 2 purple ref autos more than I had 48 hours ago😀

His walk rate is good. He isn't a swinger and suffers from lack of power.

Today was a great change. K rate lowish and hopefully now getting a feel for it. Shame he's at 7, but I think he can push 3 or 4 on that list. Should be batting on the Zavala line.

Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 9.25.02 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 9.24.18 pm.png

The Mexican influence might help him in SoCal. It's home :)

I now have to stop buying. I might do an order after i get my bonus

I'm tipping you hit something big.

You either get crushed with a Jumbo or there will be two colour autos( one great the other so so) with a banging base auto( Elly). Very much feast or famine. I opened five of them in 2018 and only one of them was awesome. The other 4 were absolutely trash. A really weak one will give you a refractor auto of a pitcher and two lousy base autos of scrubs or a colour auto of a player whose already had his 1stBowman auto in a previous release plus two scrub autos. If you're really unlucky you will get two pitching base autos - one a prospect card the other a Rookie Chrome auto.

I hope you get the banger. My jumbo was awful. Khalil Watson insert auto, Hidalgo refractor auto( $10 card), and Vaughn base auto( $5). No nice colour parallels and only a paper Elly.

P.S. I got my 2022 Bowman hobby boxes two weeks ago for $300. They are now $425 and even with the 20% off you're paying more. Usually I'd be cynical but it's the fact that Elly has gone so well imo. The Jumbo was overpriced in comparison but the market has come up to it and with the 20% off it's the way to go.

Last edited:
I'm tipping you hit something big.

You either get crushed with a Jumbo or there will be two colour autos( one great the other so so) with a banging base auto( Elly). Very much feast or famine. I opened five of them in 2018 and only one of them was awesome. The other 4 were absolutely trash. A really weak one will give you a refractor auto of a pitcher and two lousy base autos of scrubs or a colour auto of a player whose already had his 1stBowman auto in a previous release plus two scrub autos. If you're really unlucky you will get two pitching base autos - one a prospect card the other a Rookie Chrome auto.

I hope you get the banger. My jumbo was awful. Khalil Watson insert auto, Hidalgo refractor auto( $10 card), and Vaughn base auto( $5). No nice colour parallels and only a paper Elly.

P.S. I got my 2022 Bowman hobby boxes two weeks ago for $300. They are now $425 and even with the 20% off you're paying more. Usually I'd be cynical but it's the fact that Elly has gone so well imo. The Jumbo was overpriced in comparison but the market has come up to it and with the 20% off it's the way to go.
Ive seen more boxes with 3 base, 1 refractor auto and 1 colour.

Lots of pitchers in 2022 draft. Wouldn't mind a Holliday Red ;)

Gotcha. I thought you were talking about 2022 Bowman HTA( 3 autos). You've gone the super jumbo Draft with 5 autos. Yes Holliday is the chase card for sure. Another good thing about the super jumbo draft is the amount of refractors you get. I haven't bought one for ages as they went up the most. I prefer Bowman but Draft probably works out the best in the long run. Best bang for your buck. Corbin Carroll was probably not even in the top 5 in 2019 Draft when it first released. Now he's the one.

Edit. I should learn to read better. You did say Super JUmbo.

Last edited:
It pays to hang onto the Draft cards. As they are all a long way from the majors it makes zero sense to sell early.
I was still selling chrome and paper firsts of Greene, Rutschman, Henderson, Carroll, etc for decent money less than 6 months ago. It's almost a can't- fail product over time. 2019 was very good, though. Then covid happened and while baseball did not go up anywhere near as high as what NBA and NFL did Bowman still doubled from 2019 to 2020.

It pays to hang onto the Draft cards. As they are all a long way from the majors it makes zero sense to sell early.
I was still selling chrome and paper firsts of Greene, Rutschman, Henderson, Carroll, etc for decent money less than 6 months ago. It's almost a can't- fail product over time. 2019 was very good, though. Then covid happened and while baseball did not go up anywhere near as high as what NBA and NFL did Bowman still doubled from 2019 to 2020.
I've just sold a bunch of Elly. Shame McLain isn't popping off too

You bought Elly last year I'm guessing. I didn't follow his market closely but his Chrome first was as low as $7usd on comc this season and now is up to $23. His 1st auto has never been cheap but if you'd bought a few of those 5 months ago you'd be laughing right now.

I've never had the funds or the nerves to go after the hyped guys at release but many have worked out - or at the very least there was a window to offload for profit.

Franco base auto from 2019 Bowman was $500 at release and $1500~ at peak. JRod was $200~ at release and probably close to $1500 ~( these are just guesses and based off raw base autos) Graded was much higher of course.

Bobby Witt JR from 2020 Bowman was $200-$250 at release and went to $800.

However, 2020 Bowman looks like having an epic bust in Dominguez whose base auto sold for $1,200 out the gate and it's not looking good. Another from that product was Robert Puasson who was $300 from the start and is now a $40 card as he is still hitting .200 in Low A.

Tork from 2020 Draft would've made you some money - not heaps - but only if you sold at call up. If you held it's another story and those cards would now be showing a loss.

The hugely hyped guys are generally in Bowman as they hold over the no.2 draft pick from the year before and there are always some hot international prospects in there.
If the 2nd pick is a pitcher or college bat it's not a huge driver of prices but if it's a high school batter it is: Druw Jones, Bobby Witt Jr,. They've been holding the no.2 pick over since I've started paying attention.

Even with diluted and hugely expanded checklists Bowman/Chrome/Draft still has the highest ceiling of any product because it holds a players most valuable card.

There you go champ. A controlled rant right of the middle of the bat

P.S I pulled one Elly chrome from 3 hobby boxes and 1X HTA. Shocking.

That's not a bad play. Pro debut and Hertitage minor league can be great value. I used to buy a lot of it HML and used to put the high number short prints together. Unfortunately due to the postage costs I've never managed to sell complete sets so I've canabalised plenty in order to sell off the hot cards. Most understandable. The reality is that most those sets will be worth very little in 15 years time. Holding cards long term for profit seems like a bad idea in the current climate. Ohtani is the only one that will buck that trend - and it will just cover inflation, which isn't too bad, lol.

Back
Top Bottom