What will be the most valuable Rugby League Card

Im looking to buy one with a budget of $1250-$1500 if i got it lower than would say bargain. Last one i heard of selling was around the $1000 mark

Wow I wouldn't consider paying anywhere near that. While I think genuine ones are probably worth a decent amount (if you can be certain it is genuine), I do struggle to see why a Raper card where there was 200 of them (granted who knows how many remain) of a card that is no different to the common and very easy for there to be fakes, is worth anywhere even close to say a 04 Johns captain signature card, that is limited to 40 only, serially numbered and much harder to make fakes. I know quantity produced doesn't always dictate value but in theory there is 5 times more Raper cards than the Johns.

The signature on the COA has to be closely looked at and if you compare it to other authentic COA's its easy. Also Dynamic done the numbering on the certificates by hand and they had a special way of writing the numbers on each signature card throughout the whole Dynamic series from 1994 to 1996 (They all look the same) so working out if it was fake or authentic is not rocket science.

The signature on the COA has to be closely looked at and if you compare it to other authentic COA's its easy. Also Dynamic done the numbering on the certificates by hand and they had a special way of writing the numbers on each signature card throughout the whole Dynamic series from 1994 to 1996 (They all look the same) so working out if it was fake or authentic is not rocket science.

I don't believe this to be true, but happy to be corrected, please could you advise if one of the below is a fake:

Dynamic COA_1A.png Dynamic COA_2B.png

Cheers
Ross

Dynamic COA_1A.png

Dynamic COA_2B.png

I don't believe this to be true, but happy to be corrected, please could you advise if one of the below is a fake:

Dynamic COA_1A.png Dynamic COA_2B.png

Cheers
Ross
I'm not confident on the Mark Coyne one as it is missing the year also there is no circle representing the dot above the i in the signature that you can see on the Brad Mackay certificate. Would like to know what other people think.

However I don't know why people would bother making fake certificates for these cards. The first lot of signatures were pulled straight from the packs so people only got certificates when they sent the card to Dynamic for verification.

Last edited:
I'm not confident on the Mark Coyne one as it is missing the year also there is no circle representing the dot above the i in the signature that you can see on the Brad Mackay certificate. However I don't know why people would bother making fake certificates for these cards. The first lot of signatures were pulled straight from the packs so people only got certificates when they sent the card to Dynamic for verification.
Peter, totally agree with you, although knowing the person signing, her signature did change from day to day, as all of ours does.
I have about 30 different certificates and there are about 8 different signatures
What makes these cards more talked about is they were not in the public mainstream, hence why we want them.

The Mark Coyne is the real deal because of Linda's hand signature (it has no dot above or beside the letter "D" but the letter "W" is spot on perfect. And the Brad Mackay looks like it's the fake as yes it does have the dot above and beside the letter "D" but Linda's signature looks off putting. So the Coyne is "Real" and the Mackay is "Fake".

Last edited:
Is it "easy" to spot a fake if you're going to this length to analyse the signatures on the COA?

I'm pretty sure I could fake a Dynamic COA and get away with it, if I wanted to.

The Mark Coyne is the real deal because of Linda's hand signature (it has no dot above or beside the letter "D" but the letter "W" is spot on perfect. And the Brad Mackey looks like it's the fake as yes it does have the dot above and beside the letter "D" but Linda's signature looks off putting. So the Coyne is "Real" and the Mackey is "Fake".

I never said one was a fake, I believe they are both authentic and this goes towards proving my point that anything hand written will have variations and be subject to personal opinion on authenticity, both the COA and the numbering of cards, In my opinion the variation occurs because on one she was rushed and on the other took care and time.

David would love to see some of the variations in the 30 odd certificates you have and anyone else who happens to have one lying around and can share it would be great to see the variations.

Here's the two corresponding cards to those COAs...........I'm hoping they aren't fake:

Coyne_1994.png MACKAY_1994.png

Cheers
Ross

Coyne_1994.png

MACKAY_1994.png

I hope there not Fake as well Ross. All i am saying is that the certificate of authenticity is the biggest problem we have in telling fake to real but 99% of the time you can tell just by the numbering alone.

Found this pic below on ASCC website, it is supposed to be a selection of authentic numbering. Now look at the number 8 it is inconsistent some join some don't, look at the 0 these differ from card to card some round some more oval, now the 2's some curled some straight:

Numbering.jpg

These two below taken from Dan's excellent reference bible, there's no consistency here either look at the fraction bar one straight one on a sharp angle.

GetFileAttachment

For me any Dynamic card can be faked and you will find some collectors who are confident its real and others calling real ones fake.

Ross

I was just about to say that signature card with the very upright bar is a Renouf 100% as this is how most of the Renoufs are. As for the other numbers there all still very similar and yes they look a little different but not over the top different? I can tell you this, if you ever gave me a signature card from 1994 to the end of 1996 i would be able to tell you "Fake" or "Authentic".

And by the way, every one of those numbers shown above come from different years. Have a look at the very early Dynamic signature cards compared to the near end of line Dynamic signature cards from 1996. You can tell the difference easily and they all match years. Nothing really special if you ask me, the sky is blue and the grass is green. Easy.

And by the way, every one of those numbers shown above come from different years. Have a look at the very early Dynamic signature cards compared to the near end of line Dynamic signature cards from 1996. You can tell the difference easily and they all match years. Nothing really special if you ask me, the sky is blue and the grass is green. Easy.
Aren't the two supporters choice from the same year 905 and 347.

I never said one was a fake, I believe they are both authentic and this goes towards proving my point that anything hand written will have variations and be subject to personal opinion on authenticity, both the COA and the numbering of cards, In my opinion the variation occurs because on one she was rushed and on the other took care and time.

David would love to see some of the variations in the 30 odd certificates you have and anyone else who happens to have one lying around and can share it would be great to see the variations.

Here's the two corresponding cards to those COAs...........I'm hoping they aren't fake:

Cheers
Ross
Ross, will try and get them over the weekend.

Cheers
Ross
Can say for sure the Makay is real with the gold foil on the right side going over the signature.

I was just about to say that signature card with the very upright bar is a Renouf 100% as this is how most of the Renoufs are. As for the other numbers there all still very similar and yes they look a little different but not over the top different? I can tell you this, if you ever gave me a signature card from 1994 to the end of 1996 i would be able to tell you "Fake" or "Authentic".

You did just call out an authentic one as fake a few posts back though. :lol:

I did but i was stating more on the fact Linda's signature looked suspect on that card. Every signature card i have from 1994 to 1996 does not look like that card and to be honest i just checked every single signature card on Ebay and past items sold and nothing even looks close to that one?

It looks dodge to me but only Dynamic would know i guess. I just hope for Ross that it is 100% authentic as its the worst feeling when you receive a fraudulent signature card. It doesn't matter if the card is valued at $50AU or $1500AU its all money spent and at the end of the day no one wants a fake in their collection.

Back
Top Bottom