Things that piss me off

Especially the "Red Hots".

What about the dishlickers!

Have a fantastic story about the old greyhounds........many years ago a contractor I worked with had some Greyhounds and he told us that one of them was racing at Dapto that night and was a sure thing!

He was ringing around family and friends to borrow money to bet on it as he was convinced it would win!

We asked why he was so certain? Well he said he had been feeding it everything and anything he could to make it run slow in the previous races, but for the last week it had been dining on Coke, Pepsi, Coffee, V Drinks, Red Bull and probably lots of other illegal stimulants!

So a mate and I heard this and thought what the hell.... so we each put $25 on the nose.

As the race started it was paying $13.50 or there abouts for the win.

Watching on TV this dog got out of the gates like a scalded cat and won the race so well we think it actually lapped the other dogs...... twice.

Happy Days...... my mate and I collect our $300+ each from the TAB and are on our way!

Next day at work the contractor comes into work bleary eyed and not in a good mood......we thanked him and asked him how much he had on his dog last night....... the answer was $1000........so he won $13,000+ and was upset?

Turns out he bet all of it on other dogs and lost the lot!

Moral of the story is if you win $13K on a juiced up dog, count your blessings and call it a night!

Great story! There's some hardcore punters out there for sure. Easy come easy go. The really good punters - and they make up less than 1% of all punters - are not addicts, bet to win, and can walk away. They also do not chase losses.

There was a great greyhound sting on an online bookie about 10 years ago. This bookie would take fixed odds bets on greyhound races and pay out tote odds. These guys manipulated a betting pool at a provincial track. Can't remember which one but it wasn't in town. It was only a 5 or 6 dog field and there was a heavy odds on favourite that was paying about $1.2 on pre race fixed odds.

Most those type dog races only have about 5K in the win pool. That means that big money can move the odds around a fair bit. These guys put 15K on every dog except the favourite. They then placed a 50K bet on the favourite with the online bookie. The favourite shit in and payed $13 on the TAB due to the large amount of money on all the other dogs. They had manipulated the pool to that extent.

The bookie had to pay out 650K. He refused. Not sure what the outcome was( hopefully he had to pay up) but it's a great story as they had done nothing illegal. They saw an angle and exploited it. Quite risky really as the fave still had to win.

Last edited:
Great story! There's some hardcore punters out there for sure. Easy come easy go. The really good punters - and they make up less than 1% of all punters - are not addicts, bet to win, and can walk away. They also do not chase losses.

I remember winning about $100 of Robbie Waterhouse at the races one day stumping up in the betting ring like I had won big thinking I was rich......next guy up after me collected about 6K!

The amount of money bet, lost and rarely won is insane!

What about the dishlickers!

Have a fantastic story about the old greyhounds........many years ago a contractor I worked with had some Greyhounds and he told us that one of them was racing at Dapto that night and was a sure thing!

He was ringing around family and friends to borrow money to bet on it as he was convinced it would win!

We asked why he was so certain? Well he said he had been feeding it everything and anything he could to make it run slow in the previous races, but for the last week it had been dining on Coke, Pepsi, Coffee, V Drinks, Red Bull and probably lots of other illegal stimulants!

So a mate and I heard this and thought what the hell.... so we each put $25 on the nose.

As the race started it was paying $13.50 or there abouts for the win.

Watching on TV this dog got out of the gates like a scalded cat and won the race so well we think it actually lapped the other dogs...... twice.

Happy Days...... my mate and I collect our $300+ each from the TAB and are on our way!

Next day at work the contractor comes into work bleary eyed and not in a good mood......we thanked him and asked him how much he had on his dog last night....... the answer was $1000........so he won $13,000+ and was upset?

Turns out he bet all of it on other dogs and lost the lot!

Moral of the story is if you win $13K on a juiced up dog, count your blessings and call it a night!

Down Dapto!!! haha - I'm 20 mins from Dapto - it definitely has a certain reputation

check out this if you want to get the idea

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmL72sgVdAQ&ab_channel=MichaelCusack

the creator is from Wollongong and based this on Dapto train station

A friend of mine worked for a fairly prominent law firm in the city a few years back with some very shady clients.

Anyway, group chat gets a message about this particular Victorian Premier League match on the Fri night coming up that he'd been told the match would be 3-2 scoreline, had already been fixed, and the links to the only bookies covering it.

So we all went out there, it was one team with a Nazi background vs another team of eastern Europeans with strong views on ethnic cleansing too. This group of very white private school lawyers looked very fish out of water.

80 minute mark and it's still 0-0. We've spent thousands between us on this stupid bet that clearly isn't happening.

In the next fifteen minutes that follows, there's three of the stupidest red cards you'll ever see, a goalie own goal and two penalties along the way but we got the 3-2. Couldn't get out of there quick enough. We got a similar tip for the week after but the bookie cut us off and none of us wanted another piece of that crowd.

Heaps of match fixing going on at the semi-professional level in Oz.

Australian bookmakers are required by law to report suspicious betting activity but bookmakers in Asia have no such requirements and will take huge bets on just about anything. 3-2 exact score would give odds of at least 15-1 up to 40-1. If multiple 4 figure bets go on a novelty bet such as that( no serious punter bets on those types of bets) red flags should be going off big time.

I saw a doco a few years back that exposed a lot of match fixing in the Victorian Premier League including a game that ended 8-1 or something like that. The keeper had clearly been bribed( some of his attempted 'saves' were laughable) and hundreds of thousands of dollars had supposedly been bet with Asian bookmakers for the match to have more than 7 goals according to a whistleblower.

Also, certain semi- professional tennis tournaments in suburban Australia- where there are no spectators and no one has ever heard of the players - were having $20,000 bet on them. A few players were caught, banned for life and even went to prison if memory serves. The doco also claimed that matches had been fixed at The Australian Open.

In short, match fixing in many, if not all sports, is rife all over the world.

Edit: The 0-0 draw in soccer must be one of the easiest things to fix ( and hardest to detect) if you get both teams paid off. Guatemala 3rd division type of thing.

Last edited:
I think I mentioned this one before. A match in the English Premier League had to be called off at half-time due to power failure about 15 years ago. I think it was at West Ham. Criminals had sabotaged the Electricity supply including back up generators. Again, certain Asian bookmakers would pay out on the half time result no matter what the circumstances and millions of dollars had been bet on this match, lol.

Not quite matchfixing as no players were involved but big bets went on at half time and then the lights went out....

I think I mentioned this one before. A match in the English Premier League had to be called off at half-time due to power failure about 15 years ago. I think it was at West Ham. Criminals had sabotaged the Electricity supply including back up generators. Again, certain Asian bookmakers would pay out on the half time result no matter what the circumstances and millions of dollars had been bet on this match, lol.

Not quite matchfixing as no players were involved but big bets went on at half time and then the lights went out....

Not to mention the fake IPL games that were set up as part of a betting ring!

A fake version of cricket's Indian Premier League - set up to con gamblers in Russia - has been broken up after police arrested the gang behind it.

The elaborate hoax saw the conmen hire a farmer's field in Gujarat and set up cameras to film the bogus games.

According to reports, labourers and local unemployed people were hired to masquerade as players and created fake team names, with the players wearing official IPL kits.

The games were then streamed live on YouTube to unsuspecting betting operations in Russia.

The Times of India reported that a local man who could do a good impersonation of commentator Harsha Bhogle was brought in to add authenticity to the footage.

"They had umpires with walkie-talkie sets to officiate as they have in IPL and international cricket matches," he said.

"The setup was good enough to trick unsuspecting people into believing it was a genuine cricket league."

Mr Tyagi said the umpires were telling players whether to score runs or get out depending on the instructions they were given on the walkie-talkie sets received from the organisers, who in turn were receiving instructions from an accomplice in Russia on the Telegram app.

Betting on cricket is illegal in India, and the four arrested have been charged with criminal conspiracy and gambling.

https://7news.com.au/sport/cricket/...through-fake-indian-premier-league--c-7491292

Spot fixing in Indian cricket is massive. Bookmaking is illegal in India but it thrives on the black market where millions are wagered on shit like the 4th ball of the 7th over being a wide, lol. Just need to bribe the captain and the bowler for that to happen. More tricky is collecting the winnings. You need an army of enforcers to get the bookie to pay up as they know they've been stung. People are killed over this stuff on a regular basis over there.

The Indian criminal underworld is extensive and ruthless. They also have police 'death squads' which go around killing gangsters to save the courts time and money. One police chief bragged that he had killed at least 20 gangsters in a 12 month period.

Not to mention the fake IPL games that were set up as part of a betting ring!

A fake version of cricket's Indian Premier League - set up to con gamblers in Russia - has been broken up after police arrested the gang behind it.

The elaborate hoax saw the conmen hire a farmer's field in Gujarat and set up cameras to film the bogus games.

According to reports, labourers and local unemployed people were hired to masquerade as players and created fake team names, with the players wearing official IPL kits.

The games were then streamed live on YouTube to unsuspecting betting operations in Russia.

The Times of India reported that a local man who could do a good impersonation of commentator Harsha Bhogle was brought in to add authenticity to the footage.

"They had umpires with walkie-talkie sets to officiate as they have in IPL and international cricket matches," he said.

"The setup was good enough to trick unsuspecting people into believing it was a genuine cricket league."

Mr Tyagi said the umpires were telling players whether to score runs or get out depending on the instructions they were given on the walkie-talkie sets received from the organisers, who in turn were receiving instructions from an accomplice in Russia on the Telegram app.

Betting on cricket is illegal in India, and the four arrested have been charged with criminal conspiracy and gambling.

https://7news.com.au/sport/cricket/...through-fake-indian-premier-league--c-7491292
I hadn't heard that one. That's crazy.

There is a good Sports Bizarre podcast episode about some famous examples including two recent cricket scams with the one above mentioned.

Funnily enough a player for West Ham is currently being investigated for match fixing. His mates all bet on him and another professional footballer in Spain to pick up yellow cards on the same weekend.
It’s stopped his mega move to Man City from happening.

We had similar views and took the less suspicious over 4.5 goals which was paying about $2.80 instead.

0-0 rarely gets used in those situations because the margin for error is so high. There's a few examples of people going missing after an accidental goal in these situations. You'd need everyone in on it from both teams and the ref to pull it off. Too many shares.

Similarly it's interesting watching the last thirty seconds of NBA games where the result is determined. The vets know to run the clock down and not take a shot lest they be held accountable for over/under lines being unnecessarily affected by buzzer beaters.

A friend of mine worked for a fairly prominent law firm in the city a few years back with some very shady clients.

Anyway, group chat gets a message about this particular Victorian Premier League match on the Fri night coming up that he'd been told the match would be 3-2 scoreline, had already been fixed, and the links to the only bookies covering it.

So we all went out there, it was one team with a Nazi background vs another team of eastern Europeans with strong views on ethnic cleansing too. This group of very white private school lawyers looked very fish out of water.

80 minute mark and it's still 0-0. We've spent thousands between us on this stupid bet that clearly isn't happening.

In the next fifteen minutes that follows, there's three of the stupidest red cards you'll ever see, a goalie own goal and two penalties along the way but we got the 3-2. Couldn't get out of there quick enough. We got a similar tip for the week after but the bookie cut us off and none of us wanted another piece of that crowd.

Who were the teams and how long ago was this?

Back
Top Bottom