Things that piss me off

Have you bought cards from Canada off eBay? I used to buy regularly from a couple of dealers until they jacked up their shipping price. Would only charge like 8-10 AUD for shipping. The conversation rate is almost on par with the AUD so it makes it a lot easier.
No I haven't bought cards from Canada. The best deals I've gotten on hockey cards have been auctions on comc. The BIN prices for FWA are ridiculously high but here and there some cards go via auction and they go for half the BIN price.

Last edited:
How good is Stutzle. I've started collecting hockey the last few months as I get as much enjoyment pulling a YG and canvas from retail. The flagship hobby boxes for $70usd during sales are value I feel. True YG/Rookie cards I can come back to years down the line without the 100s of variations needing to chase. I've got a stack of top YG cards from last 3 years too waiting to send off but I might reconsider after reading this post.
How do hockey cards look in SGC slabs?
I've never had a hockey card in an SGC slab in my hand. I only subbed once to SGC and they were 10 Ohtani cards when PSA were charging $300 per card. They are very consistent but they just don't get much love on the secondary market. With PSA at $25 there is no way I would send anything to SGC other than vintage. They are more consistent than PSA but I'm guessing if you got a 9.5 on your base YG you've done your money. An SGC 10 would still sell for 30% less than a PSA10 - I haven't checked lately but that's what it used to be. If you are PCing cards and don't care for resale value then SGC is definitely an option. I find their slabs a bit on the big side and darker cards do not pop much owing to the black slab.

Stutzle is a stud and should really go on with it next year. I sold two of his YG's in PSA10 this year( might regret those sales) for $240AUD which was below comps at the time but as 98% of hockey cards I sell go to Canada you have to be about $30-40USD below comps to cover postage and customs duty. The hobby is very small here. I switched to mostly hockey wax in September 2020 when the other sports went too crazy. Even in early 2021 you could get a box of 2019-20 SPA for $129USD which was awesome value compared to anything in the other sports. That's changed now thanks to much larger print runs and roughly 2X cost at release. Still better than most NBA or NFL wax imo. Also helps when you love the sport in real life. Stanley Cup playoffs are epic.

I'd give PSA a go if you haven't done it before. Just be very strict with what you send and hope you get an experienced grader who jumped out the right side of bed that day😀

Last edited:
Got my PSA order back today. I'm not into conspiracies generally but I looked at this card and there is no way I would've sent that in with a corner like that. The photo doesn't do it justice. It stands out like dog's balls in hand. I have to think it was damaged at PSA.

IMG_2718.JPG

I would love to know more about their handling policies - speed in and out of penny sleeves, examining under lights/scanner - need to report any times cards are dropped etc

I think there’s MANY instances people think they got their cards back in a different condition than they were sent in

Got my PSA order back today. I'm not into conspiracies generally but I looked at this card and there is no way I would've sent that in with a corner like that. The photo doesn't do it justice. It stands out like dog's balls in hand. I have to think it was damaged at PSA.

IMG_2718.JPG
Interesting to know the turnaround time from posting here to return from the US.

Also you’re being a bit harsh on that corner. When I read a dogs breakfast i was expect something like my old footy cards from the 80s 😂

I'm very hesitant these days to submit anything not serial numbered because of the fear someone could just swap out the card especially when dealing with a middle man. Obviously sucks because I do have a chunk of SP and case hits that are not numbered.

The photo is not in focus but the corner stands out immediately. You have to be harsh with these Young Guns cards because they are worth no more in a PSA9 than they are raw( unless it's McDavid, Matthews, etc.) so you have to be confident that it has a genuine chance at a 10. This card has no chance whatsoever. Also, I pulled it in 2018 and it has sat in a one touch ever since. I only put it in the sub because the Devils made the playoffs and despite him( Hischier) having a much lower hobby appeal than Hughes he's had a breakout year and his cards are going up slowly.

I'm very hesitant these days to submit anything not serial numbered because of the fear someone could just swap out the card especially when dealing with a middle man. Obviously sucks because I do have a chunk of SP and case hits that are not numbered.
This is not a knock on group submitters because I'm sure most do a great job but I have never used them and never will. I like to be the author of my own doom so to speak. And if I did use them there's no way I would send a non serial numbered, high value card. The odds of being dudded in OZ are probably close to zero but why risk it at all? Shenanigans aside they may drop the card, etc. I'd rather be the one dropping it.

Doing your own subs is not hard. There are plenty of YT videos that walk you through the process. The hardest thing at the start is the paper work- getting the labels right - and placing the card into those wretched card savers. I don't mind doing it now but with hindsight I should've practised more on my first sub. They are tricky. I probably did stuff a few up in that 1st order. I sent 10 cards in my first sub and only got 1xPSA10. The second was for 30 cards and I got 18X PSA10's and the rest were all PSA9's. All baseball.

Grading cards yourself is the most enjoyable part of the hobby for me - especially if I have pulled the card.

Last edited:
I won't say pissed off exactly but I have just watched a couple of group breakers chat for 20 minutes whilst breaks were filling. I think I've suffered a brain injury. Describing their chat as inane is an understatement.

I do not recognise my fellow human beings anymore.

I won't say pissed off exactly but I have just watched a couple of group breakers chat for 20 minutes whilst breaks were filling. I think I've suffered a brain injury. Describing their chat as inane is an understatement.

NFT’s? ChatGPT? Gender transitioning?
I hear you lol

I watched backyardbreaks knock over a drink on a table with @sam_nubz MJ exquisite patch auto on it (plus many other expensive cards). I’m down to 5 secs, if they don’t show the card, I’ve scrolled to the next clip.

IMG_2718.JPG

Same. Got one returned an 8 from PSA with a bent corner.

I 100% never send those with dings, unless I really know about it.

I would love to know more about their handling policies - speed in and out of penny sleeves, examining under lights/scanner - need to report any times cards are dropped etc

I think there’s MANY instances people think they got their cards back in a different condition than they were sent in
If i was a grader, I would treat the cards like a bloody newborn.

A particular breaker spoke for an hour and did 2 breaks

If i was a grader, I would treat the cards like a bloody newborn.
They're probably be under a fair amount of pressure to be honest. I'm sure they have quotas/turnaround times to hit which no doubt leads to errors, sloppiness and damage.

It's a shame PSA have such a stranglehold on the market, if there was more competition (in terms of market share) companies would get punished for repeated issues like this.

They're probably be under a fair amount of pressure to be honest. I'm sure they have quotas/turnaround times to hit which no doubt leads to errors, sloppiness and damage.

It's a shame PSA have such a stranglehold on the market, if there was more competition (in terms of market share) companies would get punished for repeated issues like this.
Yeah, low end stuff gets thrown around and the big boys going to the better graders

EBay question - What’s the etiquette on cancelling a sale when a buyer doesn’t pay?

I’m the Seller.

Someone with a 500+ positive with 100% positive feedback including numerous from the past month re “excellent buyer and fast payment” etc won one of my auctions 3 weeks ago.

No payment and non-responsive to my friendly messages.

Has since won another auction and now no payment on either card.

Given the positive history I’m reluctant to cancel the sales as I can only presume something unusual is up with this person.

Any thoughts / words of wisdom for me?

Cheers,

EBay question - What’s the etiquette on cancelling a sale when a buyer doesn’t pay?

I’m the Seller.

Someone with a 500+ positive with 100% positive feedback including numerous from the past month re “excellent buyer and fast payment” etc won one of my auctions 3 weeks ago.

No payment and non-responsive to my friendly messages.

Has since won another auction and now no payment on either card.

Given the positive history I’m reluctant to cancel the sales as I can only presume something unusual is up with this person.

Any thoughts / words of wisdom for me?

Cheers,
Your very patient waiting 3 weeks.I give it a week, then send another reminder. After that I cancel it.It also could be a family member bidding on there account and not telling mum or dad.😉

Back
Top Bottom