Official Tap N Play 2017/18 Ashes Release Thread

At $166.80 a box,with 200 signature cards do Tap 'n' Play get it theses cards will be worth $40 at best.
Another way to burn the collector,just how stupid do they think collectors are.
How many cards do they need to bring out of Steve Smith,because all this will do is bring down the price of other signature cards.

Why is this not released any earlier? Will be out for the men's ashes, however the women's ashes will be over before this is released. Would have thought selling these at the women's ashes venues would be a priority.
Cricket Australia are making a huge deal about the women's ashes - first day night women's test and first time they will charge for attending the games.

Why is this not released any earlier? Will be out for the men's ashes, however the women's ashes will be over before this is released. Would have thought selling these at the women's ashes venues would be a priority.
Cricket Australia are making a huge deal about the women's ashes - first day night women's test and first time they will charge for attending the games.

I was out watching the NSW vs Vic WNCL game on the weekend.....free to get in and most of the Aussie team were playing.......Haynes, Blackwell, Cheatle, Healy, Beams, Aley and Ellyse Perry. Walked in the ground and the first 2 people I see were Meg Lanning and Matthew Mott (Coach) standing having a chat.

The kids loved it and wasn't a bad standard of cricket at all.......and there would have been 50 people watching?

I went to quite a few WBBL games last year and they were great!

Cheers
Matt

Last edited:
I was out watching the NSW vs Vic WNCL game on the weekend.....free to get in and most of the Aussie team were playing.......Haynes, Blackwell, Cheatle, Healy, Beams, Aley and Ellyse Perry. Walked in the ground and the first 2 people I see were Meg Lanning and Matthew Mott (Coach) standing having a chat.

The kids loved it and wasn't a bad standard of cricket at all.......and there would have been 50 people watching?

I went to quite a few WBBL games last year and they were great!

Cheers
Matt

Matt I was there on Sunday too and talked to Meg Lanning. I often attend WNCL and WBBL games. It's a great standard and the girls are exceptionally appreciative to the people that come to watch.

Again, shame this set was not released. As you mentioned, half the Australian team were there. I will have no issue obtaining signatures for the Aussie girls. My point is the English team will have left for home by the time these come out.

Cricket Australia are doing a good job of promoting the women's game and it's a shame we can't have these in time to help promote the Women's ashes - not just have them released the day before the men's start.

$166.80 a box and $7 a packet, who's their target market? Asian property investors? What a cash grab this is going to be!

I'm involved in Milo cricket and I can tell you first hand, 9 out of 10 kids have been screaming for a Arthur Morris pant card :lol: NOT!
I do like the design of the pants card (reminds me of the NRL Centenary release for some reason) but someone much younger and relatable would've been much more appropriate.

As for the cut signature, there does seem to be a fair bit of those index signed cards around, I've seen one release with 100 signed Bradman index cards, then one with him and Sachin of up to /50 odd that they use to make a signature/ bat type of a release. I don't believe these index cards cost that much as wholesale of these bats was no where near that expensive as the rrp. There have been a fair few releases like this overtime. Here's an example:

Don-Bradmans-Indian-Summer-Signed-Bat.jpg

Personally cut signatures always have a cheap feel about them, I'm glad I have a few Futera Sir Don Bradman signature cards, boy did Futera know how to make cricket cards! Those Futera Sir Don Bradman signature cards sits highly in my pc.

$166.80 a box and $7 a packet, who's their target market? Asian property investors? What a cash grab this is going to be!

I'm involved in Milo cricket and I can tell you first hand, 9 out of 10 kids have been screaming for a Arthur Morris pant card :lol: NOT!
I do like the design of the pants card (reminds me of the NRL Centenary release for some reason) but someone much younger and relatable would've been much more appropriate.

As for the cut signature, there does seem to be a fair bit of those index signed cards around, I've seen one release with 100 signed Bradman index cards, then one with him and Sachin of up to /50 odd that they use to make a signature/ bat type of a release. I don't believe these index cards cost that much as wholesale of these bats was no where near that expensive as the rrp. There have been a fair few releases like this overtime. Here's an example:

Personally cut signatures always have a cheap feel about them, I'm glad I have a few Futera Sir Don Bradman signature cards, boy did Futera know how to make cricket cards! Those Futera Sir Don Bradman signature cards sits highly in my pc.

I was about to say for the first time i actually agreed with you on a point Raj (which is rare as you always seem to be the most negative person to post on the forums) but yes in terms of pricing......$4.99 per pack would have been perfect........$6.99 not so much.

But aside from that, most kids would be looking at buying the BBL cards wouldn't they? Rather than the ashes cards.......again even at probably $4.99 a pack for BBL is at least $1 per pack more than it should be.

In terms of the Morris patch card......how many players from the 1948 Invincibles have a memorabilia card?.........none. I think that answers the questions.....kids maybe not....collectors probably want one?

In relation to the Bradman cut signatures, im sure TNP would have the Don signing if they could......the fact that he would have been 109 this year if he were still alive probably means that his signature wouldnt have been as crisp and up to your high standards, but its going to be a rare card and one im sure collectors will be chasing.

Cheers
Matt

@Matt26 Thank you for the kind words :lol:

BTW I wasn't all negative, I did say the the patch card does have a great design ;).

I think you missed the point with the cut signature, all I was saying is that he did sign a fair few before he sadly passed away. You are right, he may not have had a pristine signature on it if he were alive today, more the reason to buy a Futera Sir Don Bradman signature card as they are up to my high standards and the signature is crisp and superb!

Last edited:
Matt I was there on Sunday too and talked to Meg Lanning. I often attend WNCL and WBBL games. It's a great standard and the girls are exceptionally appreciative to the people that come to watch.

Again, shame this set was not released. As you mentioned, half the Australian team were there. I will have no issue obtaining signatures for the Aussie girls. My point is the English team will have left for home by the time these come out.

Cricket Australia are doing a good job of promoting the women's game and it's a shame we can't have these in time to help promote the Women's ashes - not just have them released the day before the men's start.

At the NSW ODI game, full access to players, who are happy enough to sign and there's no product out to get squiggles on. It's a shame really because my two ended up getting photo copied team lists (yep...CA can't even print colour sheets or posters anymore) signed.

I often think of all those sig cards kids pull. I don't wince though. I think it's great. Maybe in years to come, the scrappy, dog eared piece of card will take pride of place in their own card collection.

For anyone who missed it, the check list for this release has been posted as a series of images on the Cricket Trading Cards Australia Facebook page (thanks to Paul Richardson).

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

For anyone who missed it, the check list for this release has been posted as a series of images on the Cricket Trading Cards Australia Facebook page (thanks to Paul Richardson).

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

They still haven't corrected the error......the signatures are 1 in 48 packs not 1 in 24 packs.

My understanding is you will either get a signature or a predictor #/100 as a box hit.

Cheers
Matt

What are they doing re the stokes signature card?

Looks like it’s just been deleted from the checklist, hopefully an English replacement can be organised

What are they doing re the stokes signature card?

Looks like it’s just been deleted from the checklist, hopefully an English replacement can be organised

Its been confirmed the signers are:

Steve Smith - 200
Matt Renshaw - 200
Peter Handscomb - 200
Josh Hazlewood - 200
Matthew Wade - 200
Meg Lanning - 200
Stuart Broad - 100
Joe Root - 100
Jimmy Anderson - 100

I am an avid cricket follower but a lesser cricket card collector these days but I still collect none the less.

My opinion (forwhat it is worth) without having seen a card from this release;

The price does seem excessive with out there being a two per case and /or numbered case hit.
I think an Ashes Heroes signature set of past legends would have been perfect.

The really high end stuff looks spectacular and great initiative. I really love the nostalgic stuff.

The low end sets appear to have great themes and I am intrigued to see what the winning predictor will redeem.

The release should have been 1/11 or earlier to allow for the Women's Ashes as @Wookiedragon mentioned.

Lastly the inclusion of the touring sides players as base, inserts and signatures is huge!

The last time I can recall international opponents cards was in the Futera / Select days in the mid-late 90's. I know we have seen international in the BBL releases but in their respective BBL colours.

A bit dear but I am looking forward to it!

Stuart Broad just posted this on his instagram story:

upload_2017-10-27_21-51-37.png

I quite like the design of the signature card but that pen looks horribly bad and I hope that the signature will look better in real life than it does in that photo. From what I can see it looks like it could even be a biro.

I quite like the design of the signature card but that pen looks horribly bad and I hope that the signature will look better in real life than it does in that photo. From what I can see it looks like it could even be a biro.
I think that might just be a filter he used on the photo? Agree though that the design is pretty nice.

I asked Tap N Play about this and the cards were sent with the same signature pens that are used for all other TNP signature cards (same pens both Topps/UD/Panini use). The ECB had a signing day recently and these signatures were being obtained under management of the ECB representatives in England.

Definitely not bic ball points used......

Cheers
Matt

Back
Top Bottom