Official Tap N Play 2017/18 Ashes Release Thread

Matt26

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Matt
Here is the first sell sheet direct from Tap N Play for this years Ashes Release.

Ashes.JPG

My understanding is that there are 3 different Bradman cut signature cards each being a 1/1 card. The signatures were sourced directly from the Bradman Foundation.

The signature list is:

Steve Smith #/200
Matt Renshaw #/200
Peter Handscomb #/200
Josh Hazelwood #/200
Matthew Wade #/200
Meg Lanning #/200
Stuart Broad #/100
Ben Stokes #/100
Joe Root #/100

Cheers
Matt

:eek:

This series looks amazing. I'm definitely going to be busting some boxes!

This might be a dumb question, but what exactly is a cut signature? Is it something Bradman had personally signed which was then cut out and put into the card?

:eek:

This series looks amazing. I'm definitely going to be busting some boxes!

This might be a dumb question, but what exactly is a cut signature? Is it something Bradman had personally signed which was then cut out and put into the card?

The way I understand it.....before Bradman passed away, the Bradman foundation had him sign a heap of index cards that the foundation could use in the future to help continue to fund the foundation.

They only have a certain amount that they can use and are rarely released for situations like this.

These index cards are then inserted into the card much like you see a lot of cut signatures used in the releases (baseball/football etc).

Its a way of having a deceased players signature in a modern product.

Cheers
Matt

The way I understand it.....before Bradman passed away, the Bradman foundation had him sign a heap of index cards that the foundation could use in the future to help continue to fund the foundation.

They only have a certain amount that they can use and are rarely released for situations like this.

These index cards are then inserted into the card much like you see a lot of cut signatures used in the releases (baseball/football etc).

Its a way of having a deceased players signature in a modern product.

Cheers
Matt
Thanks for the explanation! That's pretty awesome. Great stuff from Tap N Play :thumbsup:

Holy Mackerel!! Well, that's my annual Christmas present to myself sorted :)

I can only imagine what the Sir Donald Bradman cards would fetch, but for me it's the Arthur Morris patch card that is hubba hubba!! Either intentionally or otherwise, for it to be numbered to 48 is just brilliant :)

So....just the two months until release then!! :)

Looking at that, each box will either contain a signature card or a player of the series predictor card. What i would like to see in future is every box contain a signature card and then something else. Take this years AFL Certified, each box contains a signature card, then either a medal winner card or one of the other bigger hits like guernsey redemption, guernsey sig redemption, Influential card or Footy's Finest. The Morris cards are great, and the Bradman cards will be so rare and sort after that anyone lucky enough to snag one could ask any price they want and someone will pay it, not that i would sell if i pulled one. But a big hit is not even guaranteed in each case, with 300 cases and only 51 redemptions in total then that's not great odds, that's only one redemption card per 6 cases. Some real nice additions here from Tap n Play but still a lot of work to do in regards to value for money per box/case. I would have liked to see some state one day match used jumpers used to give a few more redemption options. Maybe have one signature per box, then on top of that you either get a player of the series predictor or state player match used/Morris match used or Bradman cut sig. Imagine for example 12 boxes per case, 8 boxes have a signature and predictor card, with the other 4 boxes having the signature card plus state match used redemption card or if lucky enough a Morris match used or Bradman cut signature. I know i ramble on a bit here but if you were able to read all that and actually understand my dribble then thanks for sticking with me lol.

Looking at that, each box will either contain a signature card or a player of the series predictor card. What i would like to see in future is every box contain a signature card and then something else. Take this years AFL Certified, each box contains a signature card, then either a medal winner card or one of the other bigger hits like guernsey redemption, guernsey sig redemption, Influential card or Footy's Finest. The Morris cards are great, and the Bradman cards will be so rare and sort after that anyone lucky enough to snag one could ask any price they want and someone will pay it, not that i would sell if i pulled one. But a big hit is not even guaranteed in each case, with 300 cases and only 51 redemptions in total then that's not great odds, that's only one redemption card per 6 cases. Some real nice additions here from Tap n Play but still a lot of work to do in regards to value for money per box/case. I would have liked to see some state one day match used jumpers used to give a few more redemption options. Maybe have one signature per box, then on top of that you either get a player of the series predictor or state player match used/Morris match used or Bradman cut sig. Imagine for example 12 boxes per case, 8 boxes have a signature and predictor card, with the other 4 boxes having the signature card plus state match used redemption card or if lucky enough a Morris match used or Bradman cut signature. I know i ramble on a bit here but if you were able to read all that and actually understand my dribble then thanks for sticking with me lol.

I agree with @BLOWN8 in regards to value for money. A signature card and another chase card per packet would be a great thing. Another would be for the price to be dropped. By making people pay $6.95 for a pack of cards they are killing what is left of the cricket card collector market. Further by charging this amount they will deny children the opportunity to buy packs. Remember we were all young once and we all probably started out collecting cards at an early age.

There is only 1 reason that they are pricing the packets at $6.95 a pack. They have had to pay the Bradman foundation a truck load of money for the Bradman Signatures as well as the Copyright costs that are associated with the Bradman Name.

I agree with @BLOWN8 in regards to value for money. A signature card and another chase card per packet would be a great thing. Another would be for the price to be dropped. By making people pay $6.95 for a pack of cards they are killing what is left of the cricket card collector market. Further by charging this amount they will deny children the opportunity to buy packs. Remember we were all young once and we all probably started out collecting cards at an early age.

There is only 1 reason that they are pricing the packets at $6.95 a pack. They have had to pay the Bradman foundation a truck load of money for the Bradman Signatures as well as the Copyright costs that are associated with the Bradman Name.

You know something, i didn't even notice the price per pack, i actually assumed it would be about $4.95 a pack. You are 100% right in the reason why they are $6.95 per pack, but at that price who is going to buy boxes here with very little chance of actually pulling something big? RRP on a box would be $166.80 for 24 packs, you could buy 2 boxes @ around $300 with a real possibility of ending up with 2 predictors worth about $25-$30 each. As much as i love busting boxes and really want to support Cricket trading cards i just couldn't part with my money on this product. Don't get me wrong though, the 2 high end cards look magnificent.

Just putting it out there, why are there only 48 Morris patch cards? I get the significance with the number 48, but surely if they had a pair of pants they could get at least 150-200 patches easy. They almost could have got 297 patches from one pair of pants and that would have meant every case would have had a big hit.

I agree with @BLOWN8

I know 100% for a fact that this isn't correct.

I spoke with TNP about this and the signatures were obtained in conjunction with another separate product that will be announced/released later on (which has been in the works that i am aware of for at least 2-3 years). Think cards meeting technology.

I do however agree that the price of the packs should be around the $5 mark which would have made it a lot better value for money.

Cheers
Matt

Just putting it out there, why are there only 48 Morris patch cards? I get the significance with the number 48, but surely if they had a pair of pants they could get at least 150-200 patches easy. They almost could have got 297 patches from one pair of pants and that would have meant every case would have had a big hit.

TNP said they wanted it kept as a rare card and limited to #/48 is for the 48 Invincibles.

TNP said they wanted it kept as a rare card and limited to #/48 is for the 48 Invincibles.

I get the significance with the number 48, and keeping it rare is ok, but what a waste if they don't actually use the rest of the pants. They might use them later down the track which is fine, but sadly it doesn't help the fact that there are 51 big hits in 300 cases. Way too thin on the hits per box and per case for my liking. I will look forward to seeing some box breaks and might even buy a couple of packs if i come across any, but that will be about it, i wont go out looking for them.

I know 100% for a fact that this isn't correct.

I spoke with TNP about this and the signatures were obtained in conjunction with another separate product that will be announced/released later on (which has been in the works that i am aware of for at least 2-3 years). Think cards meeting technology.

I do however agree that the price of the packs should be around the $5 mark which would have made it a lot better value for money.

Cheers
Matt

I don't agree. They were talking about technology when they released cards 12 months ago and nothing happened.

It is very clear that they are simply trying to re-coup money lost on previous releases and to cover the cost of the Bradman Signature. I know for a fact that those Bradman signatures are not cheap and being that the Bradman Foundation has a limited supply of them they would not have let them go cheap. If this is not the case then why are the cards being released at $6.95 per packet. They should justify why they are worth this much.

As I have previously said they are simply killing the cricket card market for the GENUINE Cricket Card Collector. If that's what they want to do then good luck to them. They won't be in business in a year of two and then EVERYBODY loses. Some people need to think outside their own little spaces and think about the wider Cricket Collector Community

As for the 48 Patch Cards. That's just plain dumb. Why not produce 1 for each Case. The only link to 48 is the 1948 Invincibles. Doesn't really reflect any relevance the number 48.

Also there is no guarantee of getting a signature card in a box. That being the case what value is there in paying $165 for a box of cards that has low end value. This simply does not make sense.

Where is @nazimcricket these days. At least we can get decent, quality cards out of him.

Just thought of something else. What technique have Tap n Play used to produce the match worn and cut signature cards? Does anyone know? In previous years they have just folded the card over, which is a terrible was to do it. Hopefully they have done these in the correct way like Select Certified and many overseas sports cards.

Just thought of something else. What technique have Tap n Play used to produce the match worn and cut signature cards? Does anyone know? In previous years they have just folded the card over, which is a terrible was to do it. Hopefully they have done these in the correct way like Select Certified and many overseas sports cards.

They changed methods starting with the Stephen Moore rugby card this year which is the same as the standard jersey cards from TLA/Select etc, will all now be like this i was told.

Back
Top Bottom