NRL Rumour Mill Thread (Spoilers/Game Results)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On top of all that he is a very decent bloke and an all time Rugby League legend!

Met him on a couple of occasions back in his days with the Dogs. A terrific bloke, plenty of time for a chat and always happy to sign stuff for kids and older fans (like me). One of the all time great "nice guys".:thumbsup:

Saw a promotion today from Tooheys for Tooheys New where you can win a signed football from Legends Norm Summons and Arthur Provan.

I'm guessing the person who did the ad isn't a sports fan! Will try and get a screen shot of it soon!

Saw a promotion today from Tooheys for Tooheys New where you can win a signed football from Legends Norm Summons and Arthur Provan.

I'm guessing the person who did the ad isn't a sports fan! Will try and get a screen shot of it soon!
yeah the ball comes with a signed jersey (Parra, Manly, Bulldogs, Knights, Rabbitohs & Panthers) are the teams involved
link-http://www.tooheysnew.com.au/#/community-events/competition

From what I can make out and what I was told back in October, there are a few players coming off back ended contracts so there is money in the cap to get more names. 2016 was always going to be a spending spree for the Titans, the club have been building for it. I think its just a coincidence that the NRL take over of the Titans and the DCE signing all happened at the same time

I'm bored and my lunch break is still 1 hour away so am going to stand on a soap box for a while and make some noise....sorry.

In regards to DCE it is a great signing for GCT (hey there's a banner "DCE great for GCT") I'm a fan so hope it goes well but I can understand the other clubs perspective that in the real world it is hard to go on a spending spree when your bankrupt.

What is it with the Gold Coast, too many different choices competing for the punters entertainment dollar? Why, seemingly, do all the sporting teams struggle From a business perspective I personally don't get the business model of all 4 codes pumping seemingly bottomless pits of money into a tourist market that is basically a city of sporting failures.

The Gold Coast Suns are a noose around the AFLs neck and haemorrhaging money, start up costs of over 200 million. the richest sporting league in Australia is reported losses due to propping up the Suns and GWS but have 20 year plan, don't care enough to know much more but recall a failed Brisbane Bears playing out of the Gold Coast as well.

Gold Coast United FC, in the A-League, saw Queensland’s richest man put his money behind them, then basically realise it was a lost cause so forced the FFA into punting him and the team.

Then we have had 20 years of multiple failed rugby league teams dying and re-branding, dying and re-branding. I just don't get it. I read how the Gold Coast is our 6th biggest city (I think they count empty holiday apartments in these stats) and our 3rd biggest junior rugby league nursery, the Gold Coast is Rugby League heartland.........well why then does it keep failing so spectacularly?

Then there's an All Stars concept that needs to move to another venue to stay relevant,

Don't forget the Rugby 7s have decide for business reasons to move from Gold Coast.

I realise people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and St George is struggling both on and off the field and the NRL's biggest problem is we have too many teams in Sydney, I don't know the answers but if the NRL is going to save every license it makes expansion into new markets difficult. There are multiple very attractive bids for new licenses in new markets spending lots of dollars for what......nothing, perhaps its time to.......have lunch

Ross

I'm bored and my lunch break is still 1 hour away so am going to stand on a soap box for a while and make some noise....sorry.

In regards to DCE it is a great signing for GCT (hey there's a banner "DCE great for GCT") I'm a fan so hope it goes well but I can understand the other clubs perspective that in the real world it is hard to go on a spending spree when your bankrupt.

What is it with the Gold Coast, too many different choices competing for the punters entertainment dollar? Why, seemingly, do all the sporting teams struggle From a business perspective I personally don't get the business model of all 4 codes pumping seemingly bottomless pits of money into a tourist market that is basically a city of sporting failures.

The Gold Coast Suns are a noose around the AFLs neck and haemorrhaging money, start up costs of over 200 million. the richest sporting league in Australia is reported losses due to propping up the Suns and GWS but have 20 year plan, don't care enough to know much more but recall a failed Brisbane Bears playing out of the Gold Coast as well.

Gold Coast United FC, in the A-League, saw Queensland’s richest man put his money behind them, then basically realise it was a lost cause so forced the FFA into punting him and the team.

Then we have had 20 years of multiple failed rugby league teams dying and re-branding, dying and re-branding. I just don't get it. I read how the Gold Coast is our 6th biggest city (I think they count empty holiday apartments in these stats) and our 3rd biggest junior rugby league nursery, the Gold Coast is Rugby League heartland.........well why then does it keep failing so spectacularly?

Then there's an All Stars concept that needs to move to another venue to stay relevant,

Don't forget the Rugby 7s have decide for business reasons to move from Gold Coast.

I realise people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and St George is struggling both on and off the field and the NRL's biggest problem is we have too many teams in Sydney, I don't know the answers but if the NRL is going to save every license it makes expansion into new markets difficult. There are multiple very attractive bids for new licenses in new markets spending lots of dollars for what......nothing, perhaps its time to.......have lunch

Ross

Extremely well put. top read.

I grew up on the gold coast and it is still home for me. when I moved to the GC I was 8 years of age and I already had my football team. moved to the GC in the early 80's. My parents ahd their football team, my brothers had their football team.
the Gold Coast is a city that everyone moved to with the building boom of the 80's and 90's and they all had their own teams.

what i am saying is that for the GC to succeed it will take a generation. Kids that are born on the GC now and have a team to support will be the strong supporters in 10-20 years. Teams like the Giants, Seagulls etc. were never aroung long enough for the support base to grow

Ross
You are so correct in everything you noted Ross, so the point i would like to add, is when most people go on about more teams joining the competition. That never makes any sense, except maybe WA.
There is not enough skilled players to keep a high standard as it is.
So realistically speaking, if the Titans(Gold Coast/ Tweed) cant get things happening, as they never seem to do, then there is no chance of any other region making any long term benefit to the NRL. What the NRL lose on the Titans, would have been lost elsewhere and a whole lot more.
I keep saying it, there is very little money around these days, so there will be no profit made by any club for many years to come.

Dear NRL Rugby League Community

The NRL recently released its 2014 Annual Report: Building A Stronger Game which shows Rugby League is in good shape. To read the 2014 Annual Report click here.

It was a big year for our game and you played a major part in its success, which is why we wanted to share these results with you.

Key results include:
  • Rugby League achieved the top three most watched shows of any kind on Australian television
  • More than 250,000 fans signed up to be members of their favourite club, breaking our membership records
  • More Australians now follow the NRL on Facebook than any other sport
  • We are growing Australia’s largest sporting community with 1.3 million participants in competitions across every state and territory and in every season
  • Rugby League is now in the strongest financial position in the game’s history
  • For the second year running, we generated an operating surplus of close to $50m – funds that we have begun re-investing back in the game
  • We invested more in our Clubs, our State Leagues and in game development than ever before – and we kept administrative costs at less than 6% of all the money distributed by the game in 2014
  • Like all professional organisations, the Australian Rugby League Commission’s accounts are independently audited so that you can be confident they are correct
As with all sports there were some challenges this year. We know that our reputation on and off the field has an impact on how people view Rugby League and we have strengthened our stance on key issues to support stronger governance and accountability. Part of this has included investing more on our players to assist them with education and welfare programs to help them be leaders on and off the field.

While there is always more to do, we are proud to report that we are building a stronger game.

We are also proud to have you as part of our community. You are the lifeblood of this sport and without your contribution, we would not have achieved these results. We value your contribution and look forward to an exciting year of football in 2015.

Kind regards

David Smith
NRL CEO

I'm in a position where I get feedback from alot of fans. Because of my association with the club, i get an array of opinions from general punters and I get an insider insight into some of the operations.

From what I have seen over the past 8 years is firstly that Sharkiefan0102 is spot on. The Gold Coast is a very transient city. Many people that reside here, do not originate from here and therefore are already established fans of other clubs. NRL fans up here only go to watch their favorite team. I see alot of young fans in Titans gear and their parents in their respective team colours. Personally, I don't know why anyone, who says they are an NRL fan, wouldn't want to go to as many games as they can. I can see a growth in fans in 5 - 10 years when the current crop of 1st gen Gold Coasters start families of their own.

I keep hearing excuses like transport/parking, cost of tickets, cost of food etc. They are lame excuses if you ask me. Public transport is free with your ticket too and from the ground. You can park at a train station and get train which drops you 400 metres from the main gate. In saying this, I think we would sell 5000 more tickets per game if there was parking at the stadium.

Next is ticket prices which most people think are governed by the club. The club tries to make it as cheap as they can. Cheap seats start at around $20 and kids go free. I know it adds up when you take a family but its 2015, not 1982 when admission was about $5.

Food at the stadium shouldn't be an issue if you take a cut lunch in your bag. Provided it is in a clear unsponsored zip lock bag your good. There is always the option of takeaway before you get to the ground.

There is still whispers of disgruntled tradies from the fallout over the building issues from the centre of excellence... I don't know the facts, so I'm not going to speculate. Simcorp blamed Searle, Searle blamed Simcorp. Simcorp went to court and oops all of the evidence was misplaced by Simpson who left all these important documents in a shipping contanier on site and the case was dumped. The Gold Coast building community is a small world and I don't doubt that tradies still blame and boycott the Titans because of it.

Our money situation isn't being helped by the NRL. In the first 20 rounds I think the Broncos have 16 free to air/ channel 9 games. They have sponsors jumping all over them. I'm sure if we had more channel 9 games we would pick up sponsorship. The cocaine issue hasn't helped and I am fairly sure the media outlets like the telegraph and the courier mail have blown it out of proportion because of their own agenda or affiliation with other clubs.

tbf these words are taken almost verbatim from a Crikey article from 2013, and much of its data was taken from 2011.

For a new club in a non-traditional market the Suns are projecting well, last season their home attendance averaged out to a touch over 16,000, which is only 3,500 less than what the Lions averaged (who have bottomed out since the halcyon days of their triple premiership).

Its GWS that are definitely a concern. They are trying to crack a really tough market, and in no way could have foreseen the immediate success the Wanderers enjoyed. They posted a pretty heavy loss last financial and their average attendance is second worst in the country, only bettering the Central Coast Mariners. That said their playing group was incredibly young, and they didn't have an Ablett to propped them up, not to mention the Folau experiment complete failure. But no one can be blamed for remaining very skeptical if they'll ever succeed.

While its very true that traditional supporter bases may take a generation to build, its hard not to call Gold Coast a fickle sporting city when they provided "the smallest crowd this century", about 14,000, when the Wallabies played Argentina last year. Over 1000 less than the next smallest, a game against Fiji in Canberra.

So sad and so hard to get your head around.

I've said it a million times, These "Kids" Need to be playing Wednesday nights in front of Family and Friends like the old days.
They simply aren't ready for the expectations, disappointments and all that is associated with an NRL Game Day.
- Being on TV and all that....
You can be a 20's superstar, And not even offered a contract post 20's!! Most these kids also are dillusional thinking it's OK to start a family because Footy is gonna take care of everything. Reality hits them like a truck and they simply aren't ready....
They're kids and they should be kept grounded... Half of the 20's these days get around like they're Joey Johns!!

I'm a secondary teacher. This year we have had 3 fantastic 15 year old students leave us to try and make it in league. They have moved to Australia, 2 have gone on their own without their family to be housed with other aspiring youngsters.

The competition for the up and comers amongst clubs is meaning these guys are living without their support networks from a very young age. They are in a competitive environment in which the odds are against them. They feel the expectation of their family and friends back home. It must be hugely daunting.

It is sad that Kiwis feel the need to travel to make it, perhaps a Wellington franchise would allow some to stay. The Warriors rarely seem to look outside Auckland.

The NRL needs to take more of a duty of care in the way the junior system is set up.

This isn't directly a football problem, this is a society problem. For every young footballer who takes his own life there is another (insert number) young men we sadly lose to mental health issues. There can't be enough initiatives like mates for mates, RUOK Day etc because it's tragic the young guys we lose.

NRL Integrity unit acts on a incident in the off season involving the Tigers prop Matthew Lodge and he has been stood down from tonight's game Vs the Dragons, at least they were more proficient here than the Kirisome A'vua matter that was seemingly done and dusted at the time of his court appearance early in 2014.

Really sucks to see Manly loose Foran (even more so than DCE) but hopefully they can now sign a couple big forwards and a half to pair with Littlejohn with the extra cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom