NRL Rumour Mill Thread (Spoilers/Game Results)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Ricky Stuart see out the year as Raiders coach? Discuss-

Short answer (IMO), Yes

There are a number of reasons that I believe Canberra will retain Stuart for this season and most likely next season.

1. Canberra have always been a very loyal club to their head coaches, I am sure Furner was the first to be sacked in Canberra's 33 year history. I am a massive fan of Furner as a player, coach and man but in terms of success he had to move on, five seasons of very mixed results with quite a good squad was not good enough.

2. I hate blaming the coach for poor on field efforts. If you want to run hard do it, if you want to make a tackle do it with a purpose. There are always times when you are beaten by better teams and players and even though the Dragons were the better team for 50 minutes of yesterdays match the tries that Canberra let in, particularly Merrin and Rein were very soft.

3. Canberra are the only team that can consistently blow big leads. I can think of at least six times in the past for seasons they have lost a game after leading by 16 or more. I don't think this is a reflection on Stuart in anyway as it has been happening pre Stuart.

4. Despite limited on field success so far I think Stuart has made some tough and very good calls for the long term future. Soliola & Hodgson are killing it, Austin will be an excellent running six and the tough decisions such as moving on Campo TLL and most likely Shillo are very good ones.

5. Canberra's spine has less than 100 games between them and only two together so far (Wighton was out this last loss). Once they get more cohesion and consistency and work off the back of the massive forwards they will be a good team. The inexperience of the halves, particularly Cornish was evident yesterday. 18-0 up and then 20-12 with ten to play and the Dragons a man down is the time that a good half takes control and puts the game to bed. Reynolds, Hodkinson, Soward, Cronk and DCE would have all done this as they are experienced halves.

6. I see big improvements already in Canberra as a team compared to last year. Stuart seems to have a plan and he is building the side he wants, I am confident that it will come together over the course of this season, it is only round 3 an they haven't played that bad. This season Canberra's defence has shown more line speed, intensity and mongrel than it has in many years.The only criticism I will have of Stuart so far is keeping McCrone in the 17 (I think Baptiste should be the bench hooker) and I don't think Ed Lee is a centre, not yet anyway. He is far better on the wing where he can jump for the high kicks and get in one on one situations more.

7. Lastly in relation to yesterdays game I conceed that the Dragons were the much better team for the last 50 minutes however in the context of the final score how bigger a call was the Austin no try for a double movement. That was a ridiculous decision and I won't say it cost Canberra the game but 24-0 as opposed to 18-0 just seems to hold that massive psychological edge in today's game.

Shane sharks., i couldn't agree more. And @Brendan B thanks for your answer. That is what i love to hear from a supporter. I hate blaming the coaches as well. But it's not the first club Tricky has had these problems.

Yeah Sticky has certainly had poor form in his coaching career. The sharks lads will know but did Ricky coach them to the minor premiership in 2007? Was that a good squad and a fairly expected result or was his coaching decent?

It all went bad at Cronulla for him after that though and then the spoon with the Eels remembering however they did get it the year before under Kearney. He did make a couple of good signing for the eels though, Peats and Norman seem to be going okay and he blooded a few young blokes who are blossoming now.

I liked Stuart as a player, a bit grubby and a massive niggler but an integral part of that Raiders team of the late 80's / early 90's. I have never really liked him as a coach and was not over excited when he returned to Canberra but he seems to be making the right noises and certainly the players seem to like him (in public anyway). He inherited and made some tough calls, no one wanted to see Campo go but it was clear he just wasn't a top line NRL 6 anymore.

The Raiders were favourites for the spoon this year (not sure if that has changed) but I never thought they would get the spoon I think just outside the 8, maybe 10th. So far this season I have noticed better defensive efforts. When the sharks got ahead in round 1 the Canberra of previous years would have folded and the the same in round 2, when they went behind by 12 they would have gone on to lose by 30 in previous years but this time stuck tough.

The loss to the dragons was very disappointing but hopefully it has shown up a few deficiencies early in the year and they can be sorted.

I will say this though, Canberra are a very hard team to support, promise so much at times but rarely deliver.

Few scars remain from the past few seasons

And the handbrake Robson
Sounds like you have the same opinion about Robson as I did when he played at parra

Parra fans have a disdain for Stuart and I'm no different, but it's the best thing to happen to us as I'm very happy with the direction brad arthur is taking us

Do you think he deserves the punishment he was given?

Yes, the only issue was due process. He first should have fronted the board, pleaded his case and then they should have sacked him as was recently found with his unfair dismissal case. The other thing was they should have made more public his earlier indiscretions rather than try and help the fool and then there would be a whole lot less sympathy for him now.

Ross

Apparently after round 7 Tilse is off, this will allow him to play 200 games for Canberra.

I had heard Canberra were looking at offloading Shillo to Hull KR, glad it is Tilse instead. Raiders are set to make a big play for Tamou, hope they don't pay overs!

Not a big fan of Cornish being does, he hasnt been great but only has ten gsmes under his belt and has been playing in a losing side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom