Graded Cards Comp.?.?.?

I agree with you Chad - why not post your maildays if you want as regular maildays and show off YOUR collection. It shouldnt be about comparing it someone else.

Our Montross / Mobley competition was just a bit of fun, as they are two of the most underrated players in NBA history. How either of them didnt make the Top 50 i'll never know.

Seriously - please let's get back to enjoying collecting and collecting for fun rather than buying stuff just to "One Up" each other. It's starting to turn into a never ending pissing contest and i'm drowning.

chadjaja® said:
Posting one of your favorite ones is the go. I'm not a fan of all these comps on here now. This place used to be non competitve and as casual as they are the comps are not what I think the hobby is about. I'll be a bystander just appreciating what people. My and G's post was a bit of fun, nothing else.

i agree chad, collecting isn't for recognition, street rep, reputation, or anything like that. It's a hobby for personal interest and fun, and take me for an example. i change what i want all the time, but i don't really care, whatever makes me happy.

ease up boys, i think these mailday battles are a bit of fun, i dont think they are breeding an elitist bunch of collectors or anything, its not creating a class division.

if you dont like the mail battles simple, dont participate. let those who want to post maildays do so, and those who want to battle, battle.

i consider myself a hobby purist, i love basketball and cards and have been collecting since 92. im not one of these exquisite buying businessmen who collects only bron, wade, mj, kobe. i collect on a very limited budget and love all my collection, from the low # autos through to cheapest jersey. and i like the mail battles, i dont consider them a pissing contest, nor do i partcularly care whether i win or lose them. they are fun for me, sorry if they arent for you.

JZA said:
ease up boys, i think these mailday battles are a bit of fun, i dont think they are breeding an elitist bunch of collectors or anything, its not creating a class division.

if you dont like the mail battles simple, dont participate. let those who want to post maildays do so, and those who want to battle, battle.

i consider myself a hobby purist, i love basketball and cards and have been collecting since 92. im not one of these exquisite buying businessmen who collects only bron, wade, mj, kobe. i collect on a very limited budget and love all my collection, from the low # autos through to cheapest jersey. and i like the mail battles, i dont consider them a pissing contest, nor do i partcularly care whether i win or lose them. they are fun for me, sorry if they arent for you.
gotta agree with Jeremy here...i dont think it has gotten that far yet!!
if it was all about street reps etc like you guys mentioned before...i definitely would not have agreed to battle hendra!! i've just been hanging out for a couple of weeks waiting for someone to battle against!!

lets not get too carried away yet. i think we are all purists at heart :D

Well I'm gonna be comletely different... since I don't have any NBA graded cards.... but I do have a Quincy Carter RC Graded 10... and even though he is nobody anymore... he was one of my fave players for the Cowboys....

quincy.jpg

Plus I like the look of the card too :D

Well I think G and I are more concerned with how this comes across to other collectors just browsing etc. Like you said, you wont see me or G participating as we both think its a bit of a wank. Go ahead and battle if you want if you get something out of it.

No one questioned why or what you get out of the hobby. Just that this new battle thing is not great in our eyes or for the good of the boards in the long term.

We just don't want others holding back on posting and participating because they feel they can't compete or belong here. Already in other thread we have seen that atitude displayed.

Chad...while i agree, i dont think anyone has stopped anyone from posting just a normal maildays.

There have been several maildays since the new "battles" and i think there has only been 3-4 battles. So like jeremy said, ifyou dont want to compete, dont.

As you have mentioned it is all just a bit of a school boys pissing contest, and i dont think i will be getting involved, but you cant critisise anyone else for wanting to "Battle".

Anyways thats my $0.02

I only have a couple of graded cards, but this one is my fave!

A 03-04 Topps Pristine Refractor of Dwyane Wade
WadeGradedRefractor.jpg
[/IMG]

chadjaja® said:
you wont see me or G participating as we both think its a bit of a wank.

We just don't want others holding back on posting and participating because they feel they can't compete or belong here. Already in other thread we have seen that atitude displayed.

when you get down to it, all maildays are 'a bit of a wank'. in essence, your just showing off your cards to everyone.

could you link to where someone has stated that they are hesitant to post their cards because some feelings of inferiority? i dont recall seeing anything like that anywhere.

I think we have a LONG way to go before we go the way of the beckett boards, i think you underestimate the members on here.

I think rather than the contests, the idea of Favorites (like this graded card thread, others like patches, Auto's, cards under $1 etc) would be funnier. I'm all for the concept of the contests, but I think the Favourites ideas would be more appealling for more people, especially those who are casually browsing as opposed to those regualrs.

Back
Top Bottom