G'day new poster, PSA and import (not the same as the others :)

Zakkaz

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Temba
eBay User
pokemonex
Hey all,

As with others here I have received a request from fedex to pay GST on my cards.

When I sent the cards in August the declared value was 310 I kept the receipt. Now I find out the GST charge is on the PSA grading service.

Its cost $1400 to have 60 cards graded but the GST was $180, plus $90 in fees. How is this not theft? They are charging a fee to charge me GST on a service performed in another country?

SO from my calculation they have taken the service fee $1400 plus the original declared value $310 and slapped a 10% GST tax on it.

SO FRUSTRATING

Taxation without representation, if a service is not conducted within Australian borders it did not utilise any government resources (roads, bridges, postal etc) so charging a person GST on a services conducted in another country is the purest for taxation without representation AKA THEFT.

I have worked for the government, the money waste I witnessed is disgusting.

Remember seeing a similar thread on this topic, from back in 2021.

https://www.ozcardtrader.com.au/threads/custom-tax-import-duties-on-a-graded-submision.234440/

Never done any grading myself but hopefully it helps.

The re-importation of your own cards is not subject to import duties under item 17 of Schedule 4 to the Customs Tariff Act 1995 (Customs Bylaw 0176874). To avoid situations like yours the sender must attach a note to that effect, ideally quoting the item number. That email from the sender to Fedex should get things rolling.
Technically the cost of the appraisal is subject to GST, but in practice you'll only be charged GST for importing low value goods or services when you're dealing with or through one of the bigger multinationals.

I'll also add;

Taxation without representation, if a service is not conducted within Australian borders it did not utilise any government resources (roads, bridges, postal etc) so charging a person GST on a services conducted in another country is the purest for taxation without representation AKA THEFT.

I have worked for the government, the money waste I witnessed is disgusting.

Ever since GST was expanded to cover "digital" imports, coupled with the push to lower the import value threshold, this kind of logic doesn't seem to apply anymore. Its scope has been broadened beyond the physical.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom