Future of Melb. Based teams

Ryanm2117

Charles Oakley
Real Name
Ryan
eBay User
ryanm2117
Just picking this up off another thread,

• What do you think will happen to some of the Melbourne based clubs?
  • Can Melbourne support all 9 teams into the future?
  • Who is most likely to relocate or merge?

I don't think that Melb will have 9 clubs in the future with the most likely candiates to move are Kanga's to the Gold Coast, Hawks to Tassie (A team in Tassie is long overdue) and Western Bulldogs or the Saints to Western Sydney.
I guess it depends on Corporate sponsorship in the cities wanting a major sporting team, for example there is not enough big business in Canberra to support a team, but there is in Sydney for a second.

Not saying it is ever going to happen but in a few years who knows?
Just want to hear what people have to think about it.

Hawthorn won't relocate to Tasmania, because at this stage there is not enough corporate support in the state for a full time AFL team. And no one would want to sign for us, we'd have a crappy team and it would just suck.

Just wouldn't happen.

Kangaroos always seem to be prime candidate to move but.... still the fans are fighters and would oppose that.

I think an AFL forced Merger would be the only way to whittle club numbers down.

Hawthorn won't relocate to Tasmania, because at this stage there is not enough corporate support in the state for a full time AFL team. And no one would want to sign for us, we'd have a crappy team and it would just suck.

What people forget is that the AFL has lots of money...and they will prop interstate teams up for many years to get them up and running. Players now see that these clubs have money (and success) and are more than happy to move. The AFL's support has seen the last 6 premiership flags and 7 of the past 8 Brownlow medals go to interstate clubs.

Kangaroos always seem to be prime candidate to move but.... still the fans are fighters and would oppose that.

I think an AFL forced Merger would be the only way to whittle club numbers down.

A merger is a good idea to a degree...it would certainly make one "super-team"....the only problem is the AFL gets revenue from selling 8 games to TV/radio etc...so if teams merge then they would need to create another team. The AFL has also indicated they want more than 16 teams....that means more product to sell...more revenue...more money to prop up those new teams.

I think the only cub that would relocate is North Melbourne. Cant see a merg happeneing after the Hawthorne/Melbourne failed Merg some years ago. Their is alot of History in all these AFL clubs and its a shame money is the only real factor in clubs going under. What i dont get is the AFL get a 670 million or whatever TV Rights contract over 5 years and they only give a million per club per year, greedy bastards. If they compensated teams equally aswell instead of giving more money to interstate teams the leauge would be alot fairer and even more successfull.

This was Eddie McGuire's complaint...particularly concerning Brisbane.

i am aware of that and this was brought up after he saw his beloved pies get beaten by the Lions in the GF in successive years. Im under the impression though it is more than 1 interstate team and more like all of them.
Back than it was just Syndey and Brisbane getting more money but i think now more money is also going to Perth and Adelaide. :eek:

i am aware of that and this was brought up after he saw his beloved pies get beaten by the Lions in the GF in successive years. Im under the impression though it is more than 1 interstate team and more like all of them.
Back than it was just Syndey and Brisbane getting more money but i think now more money is also going to Perth and Adelaide. :eek:

and the reality is, they don't need the hand outs. North Melbourne does. Richmond does. I think the Bulldogs do too.

They can cut down on Melbourne teams slowly this way... force them into financial ruin then give them heaps to relocate to another city.

Back
Top Bottom