AI gone for the year...

HBM

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Brett
... with that nasty sore back. Coincidentally, less than 24 hours after stating that he'd rather retire than come off the bench.

As much as I like Iverson, Dumars decision was spot on right! :thumbsup:

Iverson's comment is just unprofessional and it would have dragged Detroit even lower as they are now. His attitude towards "team concept" has always been missing ever since he entered the league. :(

If AI can't accept a bench role, he's likely done for a career then...no team will use him the way he has been used in the past again IMO.

Yep..... don't really buy that there is anything really wrong with his back (well there is, but not as serious as they are making it out to be).... I mean when has he ever stayed out an extended period of time before? He always plays through injuries...... but obviously he knows that Detroit is not his true home & hence he doesn't feel the need to push himself to help the team.

I don't see him getting anymore than about 7 mil a season, but he's still definitely capable of starting..... people that say he isn't are kidding themselves!

Cancerous. That's what he is. He isn't just benign, he's malignant. Dude can still play, but man, he can't play in a team role...if the biggest ball hog in recent memory, Kobe, can learn to play with his mediocre teammates, surely Iverson can learn to do so too?

If AI can't accept a bench role, he's likely done for a career then...no team will use him the way he has been used in the past again IMO.

Exactly. No doubt he can start on a team still put up 22-25 ppg IMO but he can't dominate the ball like he used to. That doesn't translate to wins.

The game was good to him, got him an MVP and a trip to the finals - but you need more than that.

He's pretty old now too, I was hoping he'd have a few more 29-30 ppg seasons though just so he could climb the charts a bit more.

AI's out for the rest of the season? So basically it's Detroit without Chauncey? :lol:

I don't see them making any noise in the playoffs. And suprise suprise, look over in the West and the Nuggets are sitting second with only a handful of games to go compared to their 8th seed effort last season. I can't see Denver going too far either but there's no doubt in my mind who wins in that trade.

If Denver and Detroit both fail to win a championship before Chauncey retires or leaves Denver, then Detroit probably won the trade.

Detroit only did it to save on cash and to get Stuckey more minutes. There was never any question that they would not re-sign Iverson.

Yep..... don't really buy that there is anything really wrong with his back (well there is, but not as serious as they are making it out to be).... I mean when has he ever stayed out an extended period of time before? He always plays through injuries...... but obviously he knows that Detroit is not his true home & hence he doesn't feel the need to push himself to help the team.

I don't see him getting anymore than about 7 mil a season, but he's still definitely capable of starting..... people that say he isn't are kidding themselves!

He's capable, and capable of producing when starting, but not capable to producing a winning season when doing so. His style of play is now a ploy of the past and can't get a team anywhere anymore. He can still use his style in bursts to score at will off the bench, and would be successful in that role, but being given a starting free reign role won't happen again on a winning team. And if he can't accept the bench role, he's done.

I reckon AI was hoping that as well.

Well he could mate if he went to a crappy team like Grizzlies or Warriors, somewhere where winning apparently isn't in the culture.

But if he wants to smell deep playoff contention or even get a scent of a ring there's no way he'll top 22 ppg at any team.

so gasol, odom, bynum and co are mediocre?

i guess rasheed, tayshaun, maxiell, mcdyess and hamilton suck too!
Cancerous. That's what he is. He isn't just benign, he's malignant. Dude can still play, but man, he can't play in a team role...if the biggest ball hog in recent memory, Kobe, can learn to play with his mediocre teammates, surely Iverson can learn to do so too?

so gasol, odom, bynum and co are mediocre?

i guess rasheed, tayshaun, maxiell, mcdyess and hamilton suck too!

Yeah, they are good but they aren't superstars either, I guess that's what I mean. But the point was that Kobe tried ball hogging for a couple of seasons when Shaq left, and while he was spectacular, the Lakers never went very far. It was not until he cut back on his scoring and became more team-orientated that they started making progress. Its obvious when you see him play now, that he trusts his teammates to step up and make plays even with clowns like Vujacic shooting away everytime down the floor. Iverson has got a BETTER supporting cast than Kobe, so trusting Sheed, Prince, Hamilton to make plays should be EASIER.

Yeah, they are good but they aren't superstars either, I guess that's what I mean. But the point was that Kobe tried ball hogging for a couple of seasons when Shaq left, and while he was spectacular, the Lakers never went very far. It was not until he cut back on his scoring and became more team-orientated that they started making progress. Its obvious when you see him play now, that he trusts his teammates to step up and make plays even with clowns like Vujacic shooting away everytime down the floor. Iverson has got a BETTER supporting cast than Kobe, so trusting Sheed, Prince, Hamilton to make plays should be EASIER.

It's not just trust, this isn't AI's team. It's chemistry aswell. That's just something I don't think AI has developed in Detroit although the chemistry was certainly there before he arrived.

It's not just trust, this isn't AI's team. It's chemistry aswell. That's just something I don't think AI has developed in Detroit although the chemistry was certainly there before he arrived.

Exactly. Shipping Billups away was stupid. They'd be top 4 in the East right now if they had kept him, McDyess still would've stepped up.

And there is no way the supporting cast in Detroit is better than LAL haha.

Well said! :D

well they just wanted to change things up and be salary cap flexible. detroit weren't going to the finals with billups again. they have stuckey and a good core of young players to build around with the vets. so its not all bad for detroit.

Well said! :D

True but Iverson won't learn.

Even when Kobe was a selfish player who was looking to get his 30 a night most nights, he was always a FAR BETTER playmaker in the half-court than Iverson and FAR MORE EFFICIENT!

Iverson is a very inefficient player offensively and he's not a truly great playmaker. I doubt he'll be able to make a transition like Kobe did.

Back
Top Bottom