2016 NBA Draft and off season thread

I don't like the penny comparison either, but I do think Jason Kidd's game is closer.

There was a time when they called him Ason because he had no J in his game, the same as MCW. They both rebound and both create at a reasonable rate. Plus the Sixers were awful, as were Kidd's Mavericks and then got shipped on to a better scenario in the Bucks / Suns early in their careers.

Last edited:
New rules for next season

*In an attempt to satisfy constituencies on both sides of the NBA's so-called "Hack-a-Shaq" strategy, the league's Board of Governors approved rules changes Tuesday that, rather than abolishing or embracing the tactic, will further divvy up the game by when it is permitted.

Previously, the penalty for such away-from-the-ball fouls increased during the final two minutes of the fourth quarter and overtime. Now that stiffer penalty -- one free throw, plus possession of the ball -- will be imposed during the last two minutes of each quarter.

* On inbounds plays, a defensive foul that occurs before the ball is released by the inbounder will be treated like an away-from-the-ball foul in the last two minutes of a period. That is, one free throw and possession of the ball.

* Flagrant foul rules will be in effect to discourage dangerous or excessively hard deliberate fouls. Specifically, a player who leaps on an opponent's back to showcase his deliberate foul to the referees now automatically will receive a flagrant foul. Previously, that has been subject to the refs' judgment.

I don't like the penny comparison either, but I do think Jason Kidd's game is closer.

There was a time when they called him Ason because he had to J in his game, the same as MCW. They both rebound and both create at a reasonable rate. Plus the Sixers were awful, as were Kidd's Mavericks and then got shipped on to a better scenario in the Bucks / Suns early in their careers.

Yeah this is a much better comparison. As far as the shooting goes, Kidd developed the ability to knock down the open 3. Mcw needs to be able to do this.

Penny, athletic as F, could shoot the lights out, really nothing mcw does reminds me of one of my favorite players of the 90s.

Nothing like each other? :lol:
Too late to be trolled, Goodnight.

Trolled? What a sooky call. When someone disagrees with your opinion on a public forum you go to the troll call.

It's your opinion, if mcw reminds you of Penny, go for your life.

I'm not sure you'll find too many others that agree they have a similar game.

Trolled? What a sooky call. When someone disagrees with your opinion on a public forum you go to the troll call.

It's your opinion, if mcw reminds you of Penny, go for your life.

I'm not sure you'll find too many others that agree they have a similar game.

Oh you weren't trolling? My bad.

Yeah, I'm hugely surprised you guys don't think so. Guess you haven't watched enough of both of them.

Now I came up with this comparison myself while watching video of him, but after your reply I'm like WTF? so i looked up some info:

AHvMCW.JPG

From Penny interview:

On current NBA players modeling their game after Hardaway: “I look at a kid like Michael Carter-Williams, guys that are tall and trying to play the point guard spot. I don’t know if he had the athleticism that I have, but as far as the stats, he has the stats to prove it. The younger guys that are long, 6-foot-5 to 6-foot-7, playing the point guard spot.”

http://www.commercialappeal.com/spo...-all-star-weekend-ep-933756296-324461961.html

As a serious student of the game, it was near impossible for me not to notice the similarities between former NBA star Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway and Carter-Williams. This prophetic realization could bode well for Philly, or it could end on a sad note like Hardaway’s career.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/...l-carter-williams-as-the-next-penny-hardaway/

Michael Carter-Williams Comps According to ESPN's Top 25 Under 25: Penny, Steph, Kidd

http://www.libertyballers.com/2013/...ams-espn-nba-top-25-anthony-davis-paul-george

Players of his height or even taller still handle the ball like a point guard and can score at will. The difference is that they tend to be shooting guards like Philadelphia 76ers rookie Michael Carter-Williams, small forwards like the Heat's LeBron James, or power forwards like reigning MVP Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder.

http://www.foxsports.com/florida/st...nny-hardaway-prototype-90s-point-guard-022014

MCW v Kidd: I don't like it because of the build/length but yeah, a few stats comparable,

http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/michael_carter_williams_vs_jason_kidd.htm

Penny v MCW

http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/michael_carter_williams_vs_penny_hardaway.htm

So at least I'm not alone.

It's all well and good to say these guys average this and that but fact of the matter is - their careers have taken a very different career trajectory (MCW v Penny). More importantly, the effect both these have had in their time in the league is vastly different and a number of advanced metrics will show this - win shares alone being one.

(Sorry for the typo in year 1 FG%)
image.jpeg

Too early to say Josh, but going back to my original statement about how I thought they were alike - height, build, wingspan, how they bounced the ball in the post, could dunk on people, sub-par 3 pt shot, rookie year stats - I don't think you can disagree with it.

All I need to say on that I think it's clear!

If you wanted to say that even given his injury riddled career that when all is said and done penny would've had a better career than MCW, then I can't argue much with that but I said that I thought he would. :)

Back when the 13-14 draft occurred I said MCW was going to be one of the best role players (starter that's not an all star Calibre talent) in that draft crop, and that's a statement I stand by. I had everyone eat me alive and call me crazy for it back then but even if he comes good now I'll happily eat my words. Only time will tell!

Oh you weren't trolling? My bad.

Yeah, I'm hugely surprised you guys don't think so. Guess you haven't watched enough of both of them.

The tale of the tape certainly helps your case. Let's not forget MCW had an incredible rookie year playing on a team that played at a top 3 pace for that season, the stats were flowing.

Both are around 6"9 give or take, plus PGs so I get why Penny would look at him to compare too, but that's really as far as it goes. Same position and height but MCW would be a poor mans Penny. Have a look at those year 4 stats. MCW does not compare.

But like I said, it's your opinion, if that's what he reminds you of, go for it. I watched most of MCWs rookie year as he was on my fantasy team, but he just is wildy inconsistent, probably moreso last season.

I'd be interested in finding out when those articles came out. Probably right after his rookie year.

We'll see, hopefully he can have a good year, if not, it looks like he'll be a back up.

The tale of the tape certainly helps your case. Let's not forget MCW had an incredible rookie year playing on a team that played at a top 3 pace for that season, the stats were flowing.

Both are around 6"9 give or take, plus PGs so I get why Penny would look at him to compare too, but that's really as far as it goes. Same position and height but MCW would be a poor mans Penny. Have a look at those year 4 stats. MCW does not compare.

But like I said, it's your opinion, if that's what he reminds you of, go for it. I watched most of MCWs rookie year as he was on my fantasy team, but he just is wildy inconsistent, probably moreso last season.

I'd be interested in finding out when those articles came out. Probably right after his rookie year.

We'll see, hopefully he can have a good year, if not, it looks like he'll be a back up.

They look like they were written before the hip surgery. He has JKidd as a coach - surely if he can't improve his consistency and 3 point shot under him and his assistants then no one can help. It's going to be interesting to watch for sure.

Summer League stats from today's elimination games:

Reigning champ Spurs knocked out by TWolves

Adreian Payne 20pts
Jaylen Brown 25pts 9reb
Terry Rozier 24pts
Jordan McRae 32pts
Tibor Pleiss 20pts
KJ McDaniels 25pts 9reb

Back when the 13-14 draft occurred I said MCW was going to be one of the best role players (starter that's not an all star Calibre talent) in that draft crop, and that's a statement I stand by. I had everyone eat me alive and call me crazy for it back then but even if he comes good now I'll happily eat my words. Only time will tell!

He started off awesome that rookie year, triple doubles, steals galore - and people were calling you crazy still????

I don't put much stock in all-star selections, just a popularity vote that can be swayed by social media in recent years, I would rather they change that somehow. I like the All-NBA, All-Defensive teams etc more.

Elimination games today

Tyus Jones 26pts 10ast in MIN win
Levi Randolph 26pts MEM loss
Tyler Ulis 20pts 9reb PHX win
Sean Kilpatrick 24pts 8reb BKN win
Jamal Murray 20pts 5reb DEN win
Bobby Portis 19pts 8reb CHI win
Patrick McCaw 28pts GSW loss
Jordan McCrae 36pts 9reb CLE win

down to 8 teams

Denzel Valentine will be a stud for the Bulls.
That guy will be the steal of the draft if he continues playing like he has been.

Back
Top Bottom