Why don't Select try ????

cotchin#9

OzCardTrader
Real Name
A.C
why don't select... change it up?
Our market has been box and packs since its inception and maybe its time to trial another direction.
BLASTERS - the smaller box's that hold up to approx 4/5/6 packs.
This could be the answer going foward in keeping collectors from raging out when missing out on drop day and bringing in new collectors with it's cheaper price tag then coming up with the $300 +for a box.
The introduction of blasters will see more product spread out and if one missed out on a box, the Blaster is a better option then tracking down a pack or two.
just my thoughts....

examples off blasters for those not in the u.s collection side

20220927_094229.jpg

They don't need to try.
They know that whatever they put out, their community will buy it.
When a business hits that point, they know they are winning.
Some businesses take pride in what they do and continue to improve, others just go the lazy route and ride the wave. You can figure out which they took.

I don't find select lazy, fact is over the last 5/6 years, they have picked up there game and expanded the hobby field with greater collectables a hell off a lot more then prior to 2015 ish.
The blaster point is trying to applease the community in getting stock in hands off more collectors. not filling select's bank account...

This is what you get sometimes when you have a monopoly situation. Panini is the same.

The only way to effect change is if enough people vote with their wallets.

This is what you get sometimes when you have a monopoly situation. Panini is the same.

The only way to effect change is if enough people vote with their wallets.
personally happy for the Select monopoly..Don't see the hobby being big enough for multiple company releases.
Agree with what your saying, it's just me wanting a different breakdown off how the packs get out to the public.

personally happy for the Select monopoly..Don't see the hobby being big enough for multiple company releases.
Agree with what your saying, it's just me wanting a different breakdown off how the packs get out to the public.

I'm not suggesting it would change the monopoly situation but something significant enough needs to happen for the big wigs at Select to sit at a table and thrash out new things they can offer to get their lost sales back. That's when you will get change.

I don't find select lazy, fact is over the last 5/6 years, they have picked up there game and expanded the hobby field with greater collectables a hell off a lot more then prior to 2015 ish.
The blaster point is trying to applease the community in getting stock in hands off more collectors. not filling select's bank account...

But that is what I mean, mate. Over the past few years they have worked at getting their business to a point of comfortability. Now they can be lazy as they like with releases and the progression of their products because they know the community will buy them anyway. They aren't going to start putting more money into things like blasters and what not when they know people will buy what they release now. Sure, it may mean more products bought because more chance at getting what you want with a cheaper product, but they don't need to fork out the money to do it. It's every business owner's dream to be at a point that you don't NEED to put extra money in to profit in the long run. That's how I see it anyway. In any case, this isn't even a dig at them, it's praise of them getting to that point.

Do they put limits on Blaster boxes people can buy? US market isn't the greatest to emulate. Crook prices, some very ordinary product. Seen some grim scenes at retail stores with people trying to get their hands on product.

People flip boxes because there is a secondary market (presumably breakers who can still guarantee themselves a profit). Is that Select's duty to fix? I'm not so sure. Does breaking boxes down in to blasters do the same? Also not convinced.

Do they put limits on Blaster boxes people can buy? US market isn't the greatest to emulate. Crook prices, some very ordinary product. Seen some grim scenes at retail stores with people trying to get their hands on product.

People flip boxes because there is a secondary market (presumably breakers who can still guarantee themselves a profit). Is that Select's duty to fix? I'm not so sure. Does breaking boxes down in to blasters do the same? Also not convinced.
We have plenty of grim scenes over here aswell mate..The amount of people that missed out last Sunday as a example.
Should state. Not looking for a total switch over to blasters.
Would love to see a breakdown comprising 70% box / 30% blasters off all stock.

We have plenty of grim scenes over here aswell mate..The amount of people that missed out last Sunday as a example.
Should state. Not looking for a total switch over to blasters.
Would love to see a breakdown comprising 70% box / 30% blasters off all stock.
Sure, i get you. I'm just not sure how it would work. The more variations the more opportunities to flip. We've seen Select go from multiple drops to 1.

Have you not seen the Footy Stars starter packs, that have been around since at least 2019? These fill exactly that niche
1665310179296.png

I don't want to speak for him but I think he means for the higher end products.
exactly...
Starter packs are not even close to being in the ballpark of blasters.
One's a cheap ploy for kids, the other is a (if wanted) keep sealed collectable, that is a alternative to a full hobby box.

exactly...
Starter packs are not even close to being in the ballpark of blasters.
One's a cheap ploy for kids, the other is a (if wanted) keep sealed collectable, that is a alternative to a full hobby box.

I mean, a blaster is a not just a sealed collectable. I know more people that bust those open rather than leave them on a shelf to stare at like a store lol

why don't select... change it up?
Our market has been box and packs since its inception and maybe its time to trial another direction.
BLASTERS - the smaller box's that hold up to approx 4/5/6 packs.
This could be the answer going foward in keeping collectors from raging out when missing out on drop day and bringing in new collectors with it's cheaper price tag then coming up with the $300 +for a box.
The introduction of blasters will see more product spread out and if one missed out on a box, the Blaster is a better option then tracking down a pack or two.
just my thoughts....
Have you even opened blaster they are a joke you get nothing it just retail junk wax just watch some of the nba nfl break most a just crap over and over again please no bloody blasters from select

opened plenty champ
thousands apon thousands are sold worldwide each and every year, so plenty of collectors don't agree with you

Have you even opened blaster they are a joke you get nothing it just retail junk wax just watch some of the nba nfl break most a just crap over and over again please no bloody blasters from select

Hate to state the obvious but just because what you opened had nothing of interest in it for you, doesn't mean that others haven't pulled what they want from them.

I can see both points of view if your after higher end cards the blasters are probably not for that as the ratios are a lot higher . But if you just want to open some cards chase some parallels which can only be found in that blaster series can be fun too. It’s not always about getting cards that may make we you a lot of money.

Last edited:
I can see both points of view if your after higher end cards the blasters are probably not for that as the ratios are a lot higher . But if you just want to open some cards chase some parallels which can only be found in that blaster series can be fun too. It’s not always about getting cards that may make we you a lot of money.
I can say that from my own experience, as I am not going to speak on behalf of anyone else, most people I talk to about opening individual packs, boxes, blasters, whatever it may be, immediately go to the "I got nothing" comment and are 100% referring to the fact that they got nothing they can sell for decent money. I haven't spoken to someone in a LONG time that busts packs for the enjoyment of potentially getting their team's players or whatever they collect. It's always comments that relate to not pulling anything that is worth much money. Back in the day it used to be me and a bunch of mates just busting packs, hoping to get Carlton cards or Pokemon that we liked. That was what we always talked about. Now, all I ever hear is the odds of such and such product are better than some other product in terms of hitting big. I couldn't care less about hitting big, I tell ya. Call me old fashioned, but I still get a kick out of getting all the common cards of my team. This latest Optimum release was a prime example of that. I got all the Carlton commons and haven't bothered to chase anything else (for obvious reasons). So I totally agree with you that it's not always about getting something that will pay off your phone bill for a few months, but unfortunately it's very much what most people talk about.

Back
Top Bottom