What I would llike to see

Michael Thomas

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Michael
I have thought about how ESP can release a nice set in 2015 that is a little extra and come up with the following idea.

I know everyone loves to collect the chase or limited edition cards but not every collector can afford these. I am one of these collectors and each year I just buy the standard Basic Set from the 2 releases. For people in the same financial position as me I would love the Basic set to be a little different next year and would love your thoughts.

288 Basic Card set (18 cards per team) to include

- 9 x current stars
- 9 x former club legends

some examples would be:

Parramatta - (9 current stars) Jarryd Hayne, Will Hopoate etc.
- (9 former legends) Ray Price, Brett Kenny, Peter Sterling etc.

Roosters - (9 current stars) Michael Jennings, Boyd Cordner etc.
- (9 former legends) Arthur Beetson, Brad Fittler, Ron Coote etc.

ST George Illa - (9 current stars) Benji Marshall, Brett Morris etc
- (9 former legends) Craig Young, Rod Reddy, Paul McGregor etc.

Thoughts? Maybe someone can pass this idea onto ESP to get some feedback. I would much rather 1 release next year as above instead of 2 basic sets with many players repeated in both sets plus it is something for the oldies who have followed footy in the 70's and 80's.
I know Select released the Centenary set but nice colour cards across the former legends would be great!

It's a fantastic idea....the issue I think will be cost.

For current players ESP can produce the cards of these players and have them part of every release.

For Past players, my understanding is that they have to get them to agree to appear in the release and pay the players for using their likeness and also acquiring images of them to use.

Thats why you only have 2 Legends appearing each Traders set as signature cards. They only have to pay the 2 players to appear and sign the cards.

If you start having 144 legends cards in set then it's 144 players extra you have to pay to use their image etc, pay the owner of the images and that starts eating away at your profits pretty quickly.

Great idea though!

Cheers
Matt

288 Basic Card set (18 cards per team) to include

- 9 x current stars
- 9 x former club legends

Thoughts?
Sounds like an alright idea as a one off as I don't know how many years you could do 9 former club legends for the clubs that have only been around for 20 years or less. Parramatta, Roosters and Dragons there are plenty of stars but teams like Warriors, Cowboys, Storm and Titans (although you could include all Gold Coast teams) you could get 9 for one year release but you could be struggling to get over 20.

That is a awesome idea but wont happen due to what matt said.
I would like to see cards like they print in America Panini do a great product.
I would like to see Jersey/Patch/relic cards and have theses cards in signed form as well some limited numbered foils but i am talking low numbers such as 1/1 1/5 1/10 and so on.
ESP have done a great job so far as select was getting a little stale with their product but i feel Australian card companies have a lot to learn and take some good ideas off the American companies.
I know time research, money and license restrictions come in to play i really hope they do this sort of thing in the next few years.

loved selects set i think it was in 2002 or 2003 which had one club legend common card in the base set
Yes, It was in 2002 and select had one club legend per club as part of the base set...that was awesome! The list was as follows:

Knights - Paul Harragon
Eels - Peter Sterling
Sharks - Andrew Ettingshausen
Broncos - Steve Renouf
Bulldogs - Terry Lamb
Dragons - Mark Coyne/Rod Wishart
Roosters - Ian Schubert
Warriors - Matthew Ridge
Storm - Glenn Lazarus
Eagles - Geoff Toovey
Raiders - Laurie Daley
Tigers - Steve Roach / Tom Raudonikas
Cowboys - Julian O'Neill
Panthers - Greg Alexander
Rabbitohs - Mario Fenech

Last edited:
It's a fantastic idea....the issue I think will be cost.

For current players ESP can produce the cards of these players and have them part of every release.

For Past players, my understanding is that they have to get them to agree to appear in the release and pay the players for using their likeness and also acquiring images of them to use.

Thats why you only have 2 Legends appearing each Traders set as signature cards. They only have to pay the 2 players to appear and sign the cards.

If you start having 144 legends cards in set then it's 144 players extra you have to pay to use their image etc, pay the owner of the images and that starts eating away at your profits pretty quickly.

Great idea though!

Cheers
Matt
Thanks Matt...bugga!!! Oh well, maybe they can add 1 or 2 club legends as part of the basic set like select did in 2002 with one per team ie. no signature etc.....us poor collectors need something in our base sets LOL

Back
Top Bottom