Would you like to see a reduced number of parallels in Prizm?

SharpysSports

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Brendan
eBay User
bitecollectablesau
COMC User
Sharpyssports
I asked this in another thread but thought I would raise the question in its own thread.

Currently Prizm (excluding the Monopoly Set) has just over 50 parallels.

Imagine if Prizm had the following parallel list:

Base
Silver Prizm
Red Prizm #/199
Blue Prizm #/49
Gold Prizm #/10
Green Prizm #/5
Black Prizm #/1

Is this something you wold like to see?

Would box prices remain high?

What do you think would be the effect on the secondary market?

Undoubtebly. The parralels is the number one reason (followed closely by box prices) my interest has severely waned for me.
Especially when the reason I pc a mid-low level NBA player was my thought that he wouldnt have many cards to chase

I think they really got it right first year. Silver, Gold in hobby and retail exclusive Green
Kept costs down and the variations were rare and had value

I think to keep up with the demand in qtys needed it made sense and was the easiest option to add more parallels but it really is out of control... 5 parallels is ample and adding in more well designed inserts would be a better solution if you need to fill out the packs more to give perceived value.

Undoubtebly. The parralels is the number one reason (followed closely by box prices) my interest has severely waned for me.
Especially when the reason I pc a mid-low level NBA player was my thought that he wouldnt have many cards to chase
I agree with this. I used to be looking forward to Prizm release day so I could checkout the PG cards I was chasing. Now I just can't be bothered keeping up with it.

I think they really got it right first year. Silver, Gold in hobby and retail exclusive Green
Kept costs down and the variations were rare and had value

I think to keep up with the demand in qtys needed it made sense and was the easiest option to add more parallels but it really is out of control... 5 parallels is ample and adding in more well designed inserts would be a better solution if you need to fill out the packs more to give perceived value.
I understand that demand has increased significantly but they have gone away from what attracted a lot of collectors to the hobby.

I agree that 5 parallels is plenty. Imagine if you only had to collect 5-6 parallels of your PC player. I'd see the value for PG's parallels somewhat along these lines (note I removed the Green #/5 because in Prizm I don't think it's required).

Base - $0.20
Silver Prizm - $2.00
Red Prizm #/199 - $15.00
Blue Prizm #/49 - $35.00
Gold Prizm #/10 - $200.00
Black Prizm #/1 - Doesn't matter

So if I was a true collector and wanted to collect the rainbow (excluding the Black), I would be able to achieve it for around $250 which to most people in this hobby is not a lot of cash. Even if my numbers were wrong and I was up for $500 to buy those 5 cards then I would still do what I can to find the cash so I could complete the chase.

Imagine the prestige of owning a Gold Prizm of your player out of a release with low parallel numbers like this. You'd attract so many more TRUE collectors.

Then look at the current Prizm Base Parallel list of 52 cards there are:

1/1's - 2
#/5 - 3
#/8 - 3
#/10 - 4
and many more numbered parallels that I can't be bothered writing down here but you can check the link if you want (https://merqary.com/browse_cards?search=2022-23+prizm+paul+george).

So I've gotta find 10 cards numbered to 10 or less each to have a chance at completing the rainbow. First challenge is to find them for sale/trade (and keep up with which ones I do and don't have), then I need to find a way to pay for them. Conservatively Gold's numbered to 10 are going to be around the $50 mark so times that by 4 I'm already at $200. Then I need to buy the #/8 and #/5 versions then start to fill out the other 40 parallels. I'd be up for $1000's!

I know why Panini has done it because they are a business and are here to make money but I can't see how this is good for the hobby long term. It just can't be!

Back
Top Bottom