UD Complaint - Am I asking too much?

Your thoughts?

• I agree time to stick up for the little guys!

Votes: 29 85.3%
  • Stop whinging - send them a make up letter

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Are you nuts? That replacement was awesome!

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Get a life and move on sh*t happens....

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

SheedyStar

Timberwolves Collector
Real Name
Brad
eBay User
Just_Looking_2_Buy
So sent the following email to an Upper Deck employee I had been corresponding with over the last few weeks re: replacement for UD Black card they still hadn't redeemed from last year.

Was I too harsh, was I expecting to much? Thinking of even starting a Facebook application against these guys just to be a pain in their bum as well as a few curve balls to throw them, however before I do so, thought I would gauge your opinion on whether I am being to harsh or not.

You will have to keep in mind I was tired when I wrote this and really just trying to be as much a pain in the arse as I could to them as I believe they ripped me off. :p

Shane,

I write with mixed news. Firstly the good news. The parcel arrived safe and sound for the following redemption:

R82(EDITED OUT)12/17/2007 UD Black Pack
2006-07 NBA UD Black Shipped 10/3/2008

Now the bad news. The so called "Comparable piece" was an auto of Yao Ming from the base Upper Deck Basketball hobby product Star Signings.

How does a card from the base set suppose to be comparable to what was a highly sought after, high end product of Upper Deck Black? Simply, it is not. It is either a mistake or an insult to me as a person and as a collector. I am hoping it is a mistake and am wondering what I need to do to get this mistake rectified. I was even asked to submit a few players I would like my card to have on it and I can gauruntee you that Yao was definitely not on that list!

So I have waited nearly 12 months, for an auto from your 07/08 base hobby set. Pretty much a disgrace, and no doubt gave someone a laugh at Upper Deck as they inserted it into the envelope. To top it off, I get a so called "bonus card" included to thank me for my patience. A Jersey card of some Ice Hockey player. I mean, do people at Upper Deck even see where they are sending the card? I live in Australia for goodness sake. How big do you think Ice Hockey is over here? About as big as a midget fly. Thanks for the bonus, but you might as well not have sent it.

Please let me know what address I can send these cards back to, as if this is the best Upper Deck can do as a replacement I will sit and wait for a Black Pack to arrive, no matter how long it takes. Comparable item.... do you think because I live in Australia I am not as important to your business or would just meekly accept anything sent from the States? Cannot think of any other thought process that would have you arriving at the conclusion that I would just accept this insult and complete rip off. I paid $100 USD for this Black Pack from ebay and there is no way I am going to take a base auto from your lowest hobby product as a comparable item. Not without whatever fight I need to make to rectify this disgrace.

I am sure I am not the only disgruntled collector who is tired of being treated with disrespect and willing to publicly fight for what is right, especially in this time where everyone around the world is getting a financial kick in the guts. I would think a company that relies on people to fork out hard earned from tight budgets on a luxury item would go out of their way to treat their customers right, not laugh in their face with such contempt as this exchange represents.

Shane, I am sure you did not have anything to do with the packaging of items, however you are the point of contact I have at Upper Deck at this moment. I am not personally blaming you or directing this email at you, rather the company you represent. Could you please pass on to the appropriate person/department and include me in any correspondence related to this complaint. Could I please also have a copy of the policy you refer to in the letter sent to me with the card assuring me of a comparable piece? I would also like to know who decides and how it was decided that this was an acceptable exchange in line with that policy.

I am happy to receive this information either by mail or electronically.

Looking forward to a reply soon

Regards

Brad Gould

Stick it up em mate.

If it was just the Yao I would have said meh, but when I read they put a friggin Ice Hockey card in, for an obvious BBall collector, thats just toying with you.

I would be just as pissed if it were me.

You must have had a terrible time seeing UD do that to you. But i can understand how bad it hurts.

You should get hold of Chris Carlin and word a email with a few choice words and see what he come's back with. Good luck!!

Hahah..."midget fly"....

Good on ya mate....bout time someone stuck it up them. Seems strange though as most of the replacements have been pretty good.

What was the card that you were supossed to get? Or was it a pack of UD Black?

If Upper Deck cannot send you what they have promised, which they have by issuing a redemption card, then they need to stop issuing redemption cards. It is ridculous that there is any need to send a replacement and if they do need to, it damn well should be something of more value than what the redemption is worth.

It's only fair for you to fight for what you deserve, so good onya mate!

I know exactly what your talking about, just received my gary roberts ice hockey bonus redemption today, this is the 3rd redemption in a row i've been sent, without receiving what was ordered. I'll be the !st to join your facebook group!

Its fair enough for you to be unhappy, but unless you have had a rant like that at them before, i doubt it was intended as a personal insult. You should have definitely got something better that that for a very high end product, however, i think you you might get a better response (and a better replacement) if you had just explained the situation to them. As i said you have every right to be pissed, but since you want something from them you might have been better to have been a little more diplomatic :) Hope you get something extra out of them tho :thumbsup:

Seriously, a low level Yao auto in exchange for a UD Black pack? Pffffffffffft. This just shows how much they actually value their products as compared to what they make people pay ;)

Its fair enough for you to be unhappy, but unless you have had a rant like that at them before, i doubt it was intended as a personal insult. You should have definitely got something better that that for a very high end product, however, i think you you might get a better response (and a better replacement) if you had just explained the situation to them. As i said you have every right to be pissed, but since you want something from them you might have been better to have been a little more diplomatic :) Hope you get something extra out of them tho :thumbsup:

He doesnt want something from them, they owe him, STICK IT UP EM, had same happen to me, list of players, team etc, cards I got had nothing to do with my list at all.
Rob

Why keep buying product from a manufacturer who clearly has no inclination of consideration when it comes to quality control and customer relations?

I've found the amount of stories on here about botched up redemptions or replacements quite astounding, it's turned me off any idea of collecting BB cards.

If redemptions are such a dificulty for them then why the hell do they even bother?

I think they done poorly in redemption replacements due to the recent layoff of employee's. Up until last month i've only heard good stories here and on the other boards about UD handing out sweet cards.

Thanks

I think it is totally random. You get some winners and a lot of losers. Redemption cards are worse than sticker autos.
I think they done poorly in redemption replacements due to the recent layoff of employee's. Up until last month i've only heard good stories here and on the other boards about UD handing out sweet cards.

Thanks

I think it is totally random. You get some winners and a lot of losers. Redemption cards are worse than sticker autos.

Agree. You get short-changed because they run out of Jordan & Kobe auto's when they did their 1st round of mail. Now they a using 2nd string guy's like Yao, Dwill etc as suitable replacements.

Back
Top Bottom