The Official 2020 TLA NRL Traders thread.

I can’t begrudge dealers getting first crack at aspects like this, after all they are a vital cog in the hobby.

The bigger issue as I see it, is the poor communication and misinformation from TLA. While they are starting to release some great cards, their ability to communicate is still terrible, not just in this instance but on multiple occasions every release. The cutting back of Predictor sets to /25, despite them clearly being marketed at /50 is crazy.

Further, I think that the reputation of TLA is a significant factor in the lack of ongoing value in NRL card releases.
Agree 100% on most of what you are saying...however with such a limited release it would make more sense to randomly select allocations

We put 60 Boxes (5 Cases) up for pre-sale on Friday at the RRP (Limit of 1 Per Order). The last of those sold on Monday morning.

We also offered it to a number of other sellers that we deal with regularly so hopefully there will be a bit popping up for sale between now and release.

I plan on trying to get some into a few Group Breaks and don't currently have any intention of opening to sell singles.
We'll have to wait and see where all the rest of it went.

I can’t begrudge dealers getting first crack at aspects like this, after all they are a vital cog in the hobby.

The bigger issue as I see it, is the poor communication and misinformation from TLA. While they are starting to release some great cards, their ability to communicate is still terrible, not just in this instance but on multiple occasions every release. The cutting back of Predictor sets to /25, despite them clearly being marketed at /50 is crazy.

Further, I think that the reputation of TLA is a significant factor in the lack of ongoing value in NRL card releases.

I agreed we shouldn't begrudge dealers any opportunity to ensure they have a chance at running a stable viable business. It benefits us all and I have been lucky to personally benefit from the dealers on here particularly Michael and Warren helping me reach my collection goals.

My concern with this particular TLA initiative is the process. The reality is we never had a chance to buy these cards direct from the manufacturer as promoted and what this then creates is an opportunity for dealers to work in collusion and fix pricing which by no means would be good for the hobby and in fact it would possibly be the final nail in the coffin.

Please don't criticise the above comment I am by no means saying the dealers would do this but the fact is TLA by this flawed process have sown the seed of doubt in their integrity..............again. I'm not sure what the answer is but perhaps they shouldn't have allowed the whole "Priority"run be available before release to dealers and perhaps limited it to half and ensured half was available direct to the public.

With all that doom and gloom said I must say I am really looking forward to collecting in 2020 the offers just seem to be getting better with each and every release.

Cheers
Ross

Last edited:
so whats the problem with dealers getting the cases... i would like to buy petrol at wholesale - i would like to buy a house at wholesale.... but i cant. i know some dealers who buy upwards of $250,000 a year on cards and run card shops and this is there only source of income and pay rent etc with 100's of thousands of cards that never sell - so to have a go at the fact that only "DEALERS" got the cards baffles me. My 2 cents worth. some will agree - some wont
Think you answered your own question. But to compare a non necessity like trading cards to fuel or houses is insane lol.
The reason people are annoyed first of all is they were told they could buy a product that was never for sale and probably used to hype up the release.
The other reason is if you have a look on feebay and see a certain seller selling for stupid prices that only they can do because they have payed significantly less for them you now have a market that is almost non existent or make believe .
But to help with your argument of wholesale fuel , you don’t see Caltex paying .50c cheaper from the refinery then BP and then being able to sell fuel to the consumer for less but still make a profit if not more. Maybe if the dealer mentioned was only able to sell boxed or packaged products it would be ok , but when you are busting bulk and selling on the secondary market that ruins the value for all collectors .

Last edited:
So the dealers are selling 12 boxes @ $189.95 =$2278.40? A lot of hassle to make $38.40?

That was just me.....and a more accurate breakdown would be $2240 - $203 (GST Claimed) + $227.84 (GST Paid on $2278.40) + Fees on the purchases (Paypal, AfterPay, Credit Card). Let's say Paypal's 2.6% in this example = a cost of $2337.64 Per Case. Not counting other costings or the time and effort that will go into getting the orders out, it's actually a $84.08 loss per Case.

Maybe not the smartest decision numbers wise but the point was to be able to offer the collectors a chance to get everything they need all in one lot. Priority, Regular Boxes, Albums, Starters. Some people did, some just took the Priority, but the opportunity was there.

Can anyone please tell me the difference between a retail and a hobby pack of starters ? They both say they have a bonus startoon parralel card?

Think you answered your own question. But to compare a non necessity like trading cards to fuel or houses is insane lol.
The reason people are annoyed first of all is they were told they could buy a product that was never for sale and probably used to hype up the release.
The other reason is if you have a look on feebay and see a certain seller selling for stupid prices that only they can do because they have payed significantly less for them you now have a market that is almost non existent or make believe .
But to help with your argument of wholesale fuel , you don’t see Caltex paying .50c cheaper from the refinery then BP and then being able to sell fuel to the consumer for less but still make a profit if not more. Maybe if the dealer mentioned was only able to sell boxed or packaged products it would be ok , but when you are busting bulk and selling on the secondary market that ruins the value for all collectors .
the way people carry on about prices of cards and boxes and who makes what profit and why are cards so expensive and who gets what etc is quite funny (not you Joel) . Everything is dictated by the market - full stop.. Everyone seems to worry about what someone else has rather then being happy with what they themselves have.

Can anyone please tell me the difference between a retail and a hobby pack of starters ? They both say they have a bonus startoon parralel card?
I have been told they are Different Startoon variation

Zion.gif

Back
Top Bottom