The Official 2017 ESP/TLA NRL TRADERS thread. (Some new signing images added)

Michael Thomas

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Michael
Just a heads up,

I contacted ESP via Facebook to pass on my angst regarding their cards since they got the NRL License in 2013.

There are two main issues that I have been really disappointed with regarding their cards. The first is that almost all the images used by ESP are close-ups above waist and therefore you don't actually see any of the football action in the card (ie, passing, kicking, fending, catching, tackling etc). I actually sent them some card examples of sets from the 70's (Scanlens) and the 2000's (Select) to highlight what I meant (see below). The second is the high number of same images used between Traders and ELITE sets (although this reduced in 2016 thank god).

Their response was that they are aware of this issue as other collectors had also made some complaints. They are making a concious effort to liaise with the NRL over which images will be used going forward. They also confirmed that the 2017 Traders set which is currently in production, will infact have full player body shots. Only time will tell.

Wouldn't it be awesome to get back to some real footy card action shots? l_1987 scanlens card 201504130077.jpg 1042.jpg s-l225.jpg

For Elite I would like to see full bleed action shots showing the original background and some shots not just running with ball in hand the blank nether over and over again.

Would be great to see full action shots with background again.

One thing to consider, and I could be off the mark, is that the NRL have to approve all images from their officially licensed products. I would imagine that they would scrutinize all images closely to make sure nothing can come back on them. This might be why backgrounds are cut out.

If the way the NRL treat some of the clubs in the comp is consistent with how they approve their merchandise then we might have issues!!

Would be great to see full action shots with background again.

One thing to consider, and I could be off the mark, is that the NRL have to approve all images from their officially licensed products. I would imagine that they would scrutinize all images closely to make sure nothing can come back on them. This might be why backgrounds are cut out.

If the way the NRL treat some of the clubs in the comp is consistent with how they approve their merchandise then we might have issues!!

What usually happens is the league will have an authorised image provider and they will be given access to use these images.

The designers will use images from a specific range of images (last season up till now) and in some cases will liaise with the clubs for any new signings (if they have time to fit them in).

Cards get designed, the manufacturer signs off, then they get sent to the clubs to proof. Once the clubs have approved them, this also generally acts as the leagues approval and they are sent to print.

Some clubs are very diligent on approvals, some not so much.....some don't even care....its just another job to be done by what is often an under resourced club marketing team.

In having full bleed images, this would actually cut down the time and more importantly the cost of having the cards made. Many hundreds of hours are consumed in cutting out images of players to be featured on the cards.

What usually happens is the league will have an authorised image provider and they will be given access to use these images.

The designers will use images from a specific range of images (last season up till now) and in some cases will liaise with the clubs for any new signings (if they have time to fit them in).

Cards get designed, the manufacturer signs off, then they get sent to the clubs to proof. Once the clubs have approved them, this also generally acts as the leagues approval and they are sent to print.

Some clubs are very diligent on approvals, some not so much.....some don't even care....its just another job to be done by what is often an under resourced club marketing team.

In having full bleed images, this would actually cut down the time and more importantly the cost of having the cards made. Many hundreds of hours are consumed in cutting out images of players to be featured on the cards.
yes Matt, we could not have an image with someones crown jewels hanging out again could we.

Interesting to hear this! I was thinking the same however must say I would not want ALL cards to be in full body action - reason being it would make full body shots on the high-ends (in paticular mojo and non-patch and unsigned concepts) detract if procedure did not make further back-ends, signatures and patch concepts remaining in waist up close-ups IMO.

Last edited:
In terms of 2017 Traders, it looks I won't be collecting it unless inclusive of something that really blows-me-out-of-the-water. However as for 2017 Elite, I think I MIGHT consider grabbing a hold of. As FAIC, 2016 Elite was arguably the best release done by ESP - they certainly pulled up their socks and dropped some pretty good cards comparable to a good old Select release, in particular 2012 Dynasty as opposed to what 2015 Elite turned out to be - ESP thought they were thinking outside the square there but many punters did not like it lol.

I'm happy with either way. I have abit of dealings with the sharks team, in which they work their asses off hugely for the amount of staff they have.

I'm happy as the cards as are, however mojos have different images of the base card and bring back the parallel . Opening packs that only has base cards won't help grow the hobby, as it'll go the other way.

2017 - would be nice to see a subset of Jillaroos cards.

Cricket has done it and you can guarantee the AFL will do a full women's set.

BTW - 2017 - Xtreme looks nice. Think the full pic people will like it.

I might considering collecting the series should the sell sheet line up be something like this:

Commons as ususal followed by following insets:

Into Action (same number as commons); 1:2 packs

Facts & Stats; 1:4 packs

Faces of the Game (all new players); 1:4 packs

Charactertures (1:9 packs)

Fire Meet Gasoline (32 - 2 per club; 1:18 packs)

Dally M Predictors + Automatic Signature redemptions (for eventual non-PY DM awards) (150); 1:36 packs

Retirees (New Look!); 1:72 packs

SAS Series
Gold foil pre-print 500 per design
Platinum (silver-black colour) foil pre-print 250 per design
Literal signatures #IN /100

Dynamic Duo /100
Slater/Smith, Cam
Leilua & Rapana

Legends /208
Tallis?
Fittler?

Jillaroos Mojo pack 1:3456 packs