The next Immortal- You Nomination and Why

johns a junkie? that will do me i have heard it all now

maybe you need to learn the meaning of a junkie before you starting throwing statements like that around

prob also is it because a new south wales player got inducted over a queenslander you have your knickers in a knot again

all the ppl winging that he got it are mostly from qld wat about if he played for qld it will be a diff story or if mal come out nd said that he took drugs would u go on about him being a junkie...this is wat he said on the footy show in 07 ...he had regularly taken ecstasy throughout his playing career, mainly during the off-season. He claimed he had suffered from depression and bi-polar disorder and the drugs helped him in dealing with the high level of psychological 'pressure' .. hes not doing nothing wrong to u its hes life he played the game for 13 years played nsw nd australia 3 daly m proven summons award clive churchill golden boot nd about 10 or more other awrds hes got

:lol: The Queenslanders whinging makes it ever sweeter that Johns got inducted, if that's possible! Hilarious! Would never have expected then to be halfway gracious anyway.

The arguement against Johns does appear to be a very shallow arguement influenced by state, surely even those who believed the honour should have gone to someone else can recognise what an outstanding rugby league player he was. Personally I would have been all for Mal being inducted, yes his attitude towards rugby league fans is poor however as a player he was a legend, I personally thought they should have played catch up and inducted 3 people including Provan......and why not 4 and include Coote.

Ross

The arguement against Johns does appear to be a very shallow arguement influenced by state, surely even those who believed the honour should have gone to someone else can recognise what an outstanding rugby league player he was. Personally I would have been all for Mal being inducted, yes his attitude towards rugby league fans is poor however as a player he was a legend, I personally thought they should have played catch up and inducted 3 people including Provan......and why not 4 and include Coote.

Ross

It's funny. Mal's attitude to fans is a possible preclusion.

But Johns' drug use, endless dribble in the media and reported racism isn't.

johns a junkie? that will do me i have heard it all now

maybe you need to learn the meaning of a junkie before you starting throwing statements like that around

prob also is it because a new south wales player got inducted over a queenslander you have your knickers in a knot again

junk·ie

Noun:
  1. A drug addict.
  2. A person with a compulsive habit or obsessive dependency on something.

provan great player
but his era has passed for immortal status he has been overlooked two times time to move on

Which in turn makes a mockery of RLW's Immortal poll.

Let's not forget, the ARLC / NRL have no rights over this. This is a magazine instigated poll / award.

As my wife said, Provan's only good enough to be on the NRL trophy and be depicted as the 'integrity' of league, as a symbol of the 'sportsmanship' of league, as a 'warrior' and an 'honourable man'.

Andrew Johns - pffft - dribble on looking for your next hit.

Which in turn makes a mockery of RLW's Immortal poll.

Let's not forget, the ARLC / NRL have no rights over this. This is a magazine instigated poll / award.

As my wife said, Provan's only good enough to be on the NRL trophy and be depicted as the 'integrity' of league, as a symbol of the 'sportsmanship' of league, as a 'warrior' and an 'honourable man'.

Andrew Johns - pffft - dribble on looking for your next hit.

Just because you dont agree does not mean you need to defecate all over John's. Blame the guys that voted him in.

And unless Jesus is a member here none of you guys are without your own faults. At least he had the backbone to fess up and take the flak. Sorry for going religious.......;)

People throwing all those insults Johns' way just says more about them than it does about anyone else, oneill! It's amusing, but actually more than a little bit sad, for the people concerned. That wasn't how I was brought up, if Meninga got inducted, I'd be giving him a big congratulations as well. :)

There's a difference between 'fessing up and being arrested, having it become a media circus and then having a media manager co-ordinate damage control and smooth things over with a hastily arranged interview / confession A Current Affair style on the Footy Show. If the story is true, he'd been doing drugs for the 12 years prior but never felt compelled to confess all until he got caught.

My argument remains the same : Provan and Coote and even Mal Meninga have far superior records ON the field to A Johns.

Everyone is also entitled to their opinion and have the fun of these threads is seeing the polarised opinions, the passion and perhaps some of the crank comments.

And you are right. I shouldn't use my personal moral compass to judge Johns, and I do have my flaws and deal with them out of the spotlight of media / public scrutiny.

If truth be told, footage Tim Gilbert showed of Johns stepping up to be honoured did have him looking extremely uncomfortable with the adulation. He was one of the best players I have seen in the game, but regardless, I still don't agree he should be an 'Immortal' and will leave it that.

Um Johns said he never played a game under the influence of drugs, and even if he had it would have likely made him play worse not better. Taking drugs every now and then doesn't make you a junkie or an addict either, if he was an addict he would have been on something all the time, always searching for his next hit with nothing else on his mind. He obviously wasn't as most of the time he was out there playing great football. He took some ecstasy ever now and then like other players like to get on the drink. The guy came out and told the truth about his recreational drug use and his mental health problems to everyone, don't see any others doing that.

Are we going to call Raper an alcoholic cause he liked a drink, or Artie a food addict cause he couldn't stop eating? Johns taking some ecstasy is nothing different then players going out and getting blind on the drink. He was suffering with mental health problems and looking for a way to escape, and because of the stigma associated with such problems i'm sure he didn't feel like coming out to the media about it and facing further scrutiny and attention. He won for one simple reason, he was clearly a better player than the others who were nominated.

If truth be told, footage Tim Gilbert showed of Johns stepping up to be honoured did have him looking extremely uncomfortable with the adulation. He was one of the best players I have seen in the game, but regardless, I still don't agree he should be an 'Immortal' and will leave it that.

Just on that how much of a joke is the footy show deciding to show re-runs on Beau Knows instead of covering the event live. What a pathetic show.

Just on that how much of a joke is the footy show deciding to show re-runs on Beau Knows instead of covering the event live. What a pathetic show.

Now something we can agree on ;)

I rarely if ever watch the Footy Show these days, but after seeing on here the naming was at 9.15pm, I thought the Footy Show would incorporate the ceremony in to the show. But alas, no.

There was still that cringeworthy moment of Fatty telling Erin she's a good sort (yes, I know, all good blokey fun blah blah) but she's a proper journo and cluey on footy. I just don't need to be told a good looking woman who is intelligent AND in to league is some sort of dolly bird good sort.

But Beau Knows...the less said the better.

Back
Top Bottom