The next Immortal- You Nomination and Why

I would have loved to see provan named the 8th Immortal.But I think there is no One more deserving Than Andrew (joey) Johns.
A complete footballer and what he did off the field should in no way diminish his Fantastic record and Skills as one of the greatest rugby league players to ever pull on A jersey.
Well done joey on a fantastic career.

well done to Johns.... I am a Broncos fan but he was the best player i have ever seen.... Lockyer for me was the best fullback in his early days but Joey could tear any team apart and he very rarely had a bad game.... Lockyer will be the 9th Immortal....

congrats to johns, what a player. not only was he a brilliant attacking player, his defence was awesome, regularly putting opposition forwards on their a**e, even at soo level, played well above his weight

Never argued he wasn't a great player.

Most people are happy with his selection, and you're right, the criteria did not include off field deeds.

And at the end of the day, it's just a comp, like the Logies, run by a magazine to sell more magazines.

You can have Joey, I'll take Mal, Norm and Ron.

I wonder how good Joey would have been had he not been juiced up whilst playing. Personally I think its an embarrassment to the other 7 immortals that a junkie has been chosen to stand along side them. The selection criteria should be changed to include all aspects of a potential immortals life. To be truly immortal you must truly be a good role model on and off the field.

Dave.........seriously a junkie...........and if he was juiced on the field then to answer your querstion he would have been better.

I doubt any footballers life would stand up to that type of scrutiny.

Dave.........seriously a junkie...........and if he was juiced on the field then to answer your querstion he would have been better.

I doubt any footballers life would stand up to that type of scrutiny.

He admitted the fact he was a recreational drug user thru his playing career.........you don't have to be a hard core addict to be a junkie. There is no way that any recreational drug use would not have had an affect on his game, once a drug user, always a drug user.

I wonder how good Joey would have been had he not been juiced up whilst playing. Personally I think its an embarrassment to the other 7 immortals that a junkie has been chosen to stand along side them. The selection criteria should be changed to include all aspects of a potential immortals life. To be truly immortal you must truly be a good role model on and off the field.
well said now they make druggos immortals weakens the meaning off the term no matter how good a player on the field he was.a bit like gary ablett snr in the afl his off field indescrestions spoilt his prowess on the field

Only difference between Johns and half the other players in the game is that he came out and admitted his drug use.

I also feel the criteria should remain as it is; based on on-field achievements. Muddy the waters with personal conduct, moral values and other criteria and the race to be the next immortal will become a slur campaign and result in the media bringing up any dirt they can find. Lets let the footy do the talking and recognise this for what it is: A deserved award for one of the best the game has seen.

Back
Top Bottom