The influence of attitude on card prices?

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
Here's on to discuss.

Does a players attitude effect your decision to buy his card or collect him?

Over the years we have seen a whole heap of hot headed, idiot, poor team players, sooks and villians widely collected and on becketts hot list.

Some I'll list are
Kemp
Marbury
Kobe
Jr Smith?
AI
Francis
..............................and more

I'll pay some of them can play but I couldn't collect them even if they did play for my team. I did sell off ALL my Paul Pierce stuff after all. I was that upset at his antics.

Is the Grant Hill nice guy attitude out of touch with todays league? I say no as there are guys like Bron and Duncan who are hugely popular. And then there are in the inbetween guys like Shaq who some love his antics and talk in the media and some loathe it.

I'm just surprised as apart from stats and style of play the players demeanor should count for less. Its almost like anothe selling point. I apologise to the collectors of some of the above. But I'm sure you have heard plenty of knocks on those guys before.

It has a fair bit to do with it....which is why i think you will find Ron Artests cards are so cheap.

But in saying that i do Collect Dennis Rodman.....go figure

For me, I think it DID have an effect on me ages ago, when I had about 20 player collections going (back then, having 20 or more cards of the one player made it a collection).

I traded about 6 player collections for another couple with some mates once, just cos the players werent in big name teams, ha ha ha.

Once I started collecting Barkley, most other collections were abandoned. So I'd say from that point, no, after all, look at how controversial the Chuckster is.

I dont think i ever collected Kemp, I could never get a liking to him, he was always an ass, and I just never saw his cards as interesting as others. Plus he's an ugly mutha....

I would say attitude plays a role in who people collect.

I tended to collect players like Bogut/Nash/Penny...i.e players who have always been fierce competitors but have never really had a bad attitude. I also admired players like David Robinson, Grant Hill etc who I also thought had a great attitude and were always considered classy players.

Cheers
Matt

I've been an Iverson follower ever since his college days @ Georgetown. I admit he did have some attitude when he was still young on the NBA league but can you really say that his attitude still stinks now? Me, as a long time follower have seen and notice that attitude is long gone.

Anyway, I admire his heart & effort the most. He plays the game like it was his last. Very energetic player who gives his all. He never gives up.

Believe it or not, he's been more of a team player as well. What I'm saying is that, AI is much more mature now in the NBA. He's been there for 10 years now

So I can't relate whether attitude have any effect on the value of card prices because of my story is above. But by reading the other posters, it seems as it does play some sort of part.

LOL @ allstar cards :)

i dont think attitude has much to do with my choice to collect a player...

i mean im trying to start collections of...

Darko Milicic...widely regarded as a sook for not getting PT...and

Ron Artest...the new Rodman of the league?? :p

but both are still in my top 5 fav players in the league :)

NOT AT ALL CHAD!!

I collect guys who I, purely love to watch and see as an NBA fan. Alonzo Mourning, Delonte West, Larry Johnson and Jameer Nelson have been my four main guys in the past years. Alonzo and LJ were my first two players who I loved, who made me love the NBA, not huge BV, but really nice cards and inserts!

Jameer and Delonte were a tag-team of combo guards (I'm also a combo guard) from St Josephs that lead a Cinderella Story team, I absolutely loved it, and Delonte was an overlooked combo (1/2 guard) who was a lefty and had to prove that he was good after being drafted #24, same with Jameer (#20), somewhat a similiarity to me and my basketball career so far.

However, I was out of funding and only had about a combined 25-30 GU's and Auto's of Delonte/Jameer and they weren't looking that sharp (boy is that different now!), so i sold them off.

But now, my main guy Shawn Marion, i dare say that he is a nice guy!

Chad, in saying that, I think the main factor is actually collector's being aware of players attitudes and wrong-doings. As an example, before I hit this forum, I never knew Pierce was having/creating, lol, problems with the Celts. Even now in mentioning Shawn Kemp, I'm clueless as to why you think he falls into this category? Unless you have pay TV, it's very hard to stay in tune with all of what's going on in the league and behind it. O.k. there is the internet, but I'm not the type who goes searching for info like that in my spare time, lol.
So I think alot of collector's aren't openly aware to these factors most of the time, like myself. I had always thought Pierce was the nice-guy Grant Hill type, until doing some more resarch after hearing some info and feedback from nice people up on these issues like yourself.
So it certainly does play a part for me, I almost considered selling off my entire Pierce collection for those same reasons, however, I'm not the type to sell out on something like that. I feel he is maturing and starting to step up, so I'm glad I gave my chosen player a chance, lol.
Another thing, like Jimbo's saying, if you feel you can relate, that plays a huge part too which I would think overcomes the attitude issue.

Hope I didn't read too far into this, I'm bored and have nothing better to do, lol. Atleast this will give you something further to talk about!

I'm sorta with you Chad. When Francis was with the Magic, I went harder after his cards, but these days I may get 1 or 2, but focus more on Howard & Nelson.

Others, like T-Mac, I still coleect, but to a lesser extent than when he (or others) were with the Magic.

Also like Jimbo in that, That very first player you collect (in my case Shaq) you feel an affinity to and still collect. Sometimes I cringe with Shaqs antics, but I see the humour in his actions, and having read his autobiography, understand some of his antics & actions (like the comments he made when he left Orlando for LA - at first I was shocked and mad, but after reading the book, I understood his comments).

So I feel that in some cases you will still collect the player regardless.

clarkescards said:
I'm sorta with you Chad. When Francis was with the Magic, I went harder after his cards, but these days I may get 1 or 2, but focus more on Howard & Nelson.

Others, like T-Mac, I still coleect, but to a lesser extent than when he (or others) were with the Magic.

Also like Jimbo in that, That very first player you collect (in my case Shaq) you feel an affinity to and still collect. Sometimes I cringe with Shaqs antics, but I see the humour in his actions, and having read his autobiography, understand some of his antics & actions (like the comments he made when he left Orlando for LA - at first I was shocked and mad, but after reading the book, I understood his comments).

So I feel that in some cases you will still collect the player regardless.

One thing for sure, is that i always feel more excited about rookies. When all their products come out i'm surely tempted to buy some!

I mean.. take a guy like Gerald Green for instance. He's gonna be another Tmac apparently. People spend $$$$ on his rare cards and base this on the fact that they think his "potential" will take him everywhere. This was the same with the 04-05 HS players, Dorell Wright, JR Smith, Shaun Livingston, Josh Smith just to name a few, and so far the only one to average in double digits scoring and put up other good numbers has been Josh Smith who has been absolutely phenomenal this season (about 11 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.5 blocks and much improved offensive game!).

But I mean, sure Gerald may have potential (this is just an example), but why spend $$$$ when he ONLY has potential, whereas you could spend the same $$$$ on a proven star.

I agree so much about your original collecting player though. My fave's have always been LJ and ZO in the beginning, and for some reason that has made me want to keep my collection of them, instead of selling it to fund for a new collection (as have done for my new Marion collection selling Delonte West and Jameer Nelson collection)

Can't say attitude really affected my collections... most of the players I collect, particularly Rider and Marbury I started collecting before I knew about their attitude.

I started collecting Rider before any other player, based on the say so of one of my Mum's friends boyfriend... I knew nothing about basketball at that stage and Mark (that was his name) told me Rider was going to be good....

and to some extent he was, a team leader on a couple of his teams.... but his bad attitude ruined his career....

I just collect based on who I like and the team I like. Kg is a genuine nice guy... altho getting a bit frustrated in his old age ;)

I don't think it helps me that the Wolves front office seems to bring guys in with bad attitudes (apart from KG).

But hey... a bit of attitude, in the right place, makes a player more interesting.....

Back
Top Bottom