The Australian cricket non-official thread!

I learnt today the first person to score a RL priemership try in 1908 - John Drake 'Jack' Scott - was the first person to get out Donald Bradman in his debut Sheffield Shield match at Adelaide in 1927.

Warner our for 30. Another start that he didn’t go on with.

On another note not good news for Tassie with one day completely abandoned in the Shield final.
Not sure it's good news for Tassie as they need a win to claim the shield. QLD are in box position if it's a draw they win.

Geez Smith looked terrible today.

Maybe he should tone down the quirky jerky chicken dances and concentrate on what he does best.

Since Sydney Test he just hasn't looked that flash. Wonder if the stresses of captaincy are getting to him.

We really need to start looking for bats for all conditions in this country. And the other states than WA and NSW supply test players.

I'd also like to see Carey get a crack st some point.

I think Steve Smith's mannerisms at the crease are an extension of his personality - excitable, fidgety, demonstrative. Incidentally, these are also aspects of his captaincy style that have brought the most criticism, so go figure!

I can't believe that we are STILL "Smith or bust" batting-wise. David Warner's inability to convert good starts into massive scores is hurting us badly - particularly with Bancroft still finding his feet and Khawaja looking out of rhythm at number three. For the record, I'm not sure what position actually suits Usman - sometimes I feel like reaching into the television and grabbing him by the shirt collar and yelling "Come on man! Get WITH it!" :)

I was thrilled to see Cam Bancroft play so well yesterday. I really do think he will get there in the end, either as an opener or a top six batsman. He puts a high price on his wicket and in this current incarnation of the Australian Test team that is vitally important.

Given that we love our stats, here's another intriguing one: since his return to the Test team, Tim Paine has reached double figures in EVERY innings! He has been an inspired selection, despite the doubts many of us had before the 'Gabba Test.

A final word to Mitchell Starc: What goes around, comes around. If you are going to give a constant "gob full" to opposition batsmen about playing your bouncers or yorkers, getting behind the line of the ball YOURSELF would perhaps be a wise move. Starc is a far better player than offering the occasional slog-a-thon against tiring spin bowlers - it's a bit of a "1 in 10" with Mitch at the moment, and he is making himself look a bit silly.

It makes you wonder if Smith really is the man for the job.

His on field body language isn't great, particularly when a catch goes down or things are not going our way.

There was the DRS incident in India and now this which he has freely admitted to planning.

This test should be awarded to South Africa.

Smith, Bancroft and whatever other conspirators should be sent home immediately, sacked and banned from all forms of cricket for a minimum three years (I'd give the bastards life).

These actions are just pathetic from Smith to say he's still the right man for the job. I'm embarrassed as an Australian.

The only thing I can say is at least they admitted to their crimes. We all know it's going on with lollies, dirt and roughing but now we give the Poms, Saffas, Kiwis and Indians the high moral ground every single time we play in future.

All this argy bargy and we look weak. Its destroyed our reputation. I'm disgusted and mortified.

Steve Smith is not right man for the job and I don't half wonder if this desperate act isn't a cry for help with the stress of captaincy .

I feel sorry for Lehmann (if not invoked and if he is Dizzy or Lanfee come on in) and players not involved. I want all players involved named too or admitting their participation and duly see them sacked.

Last edited:
In 1985, a team of Australian cricketers toured South Africa and were branded "traitors" by then-Prime Minister Bob Hawke. These of course were the unofficial and frowned upon "rebel" tourists. Thirty three years later, we again have traitors amongst us: only on this occasion they represent the Australian cricket team.

The pathetic explanations of "why and how" from Smith and Bancroft are insulting, hollow and deceitful. Regarding the "leadership group", Smith said the he is "not naming names". Why not? Who EXACTLY is in the leadership group? By definition, Smith and Warner are. Who else knew about the plan - the pre-conceived plan - to actively cheat? Cameron Bancroft certainly did, and he's the most inexperienced player in the team. What does that say about the "leadership" of this team anyway? Why didn't one of these "leaders" take responsibility for the act instead of leaving it to the young bloke? What does it say about the integrity of Cameron Bancroft?

James Sutherland will apparently speak at midday (EDST) and the cricket world will listen with great interest. I work in an industry which is very heavily regulated (for safety reasons) and the one thing that has been drummed into me is the line "chain of responsibility". James Sutherland and his Board of Directors are ultimately responsible for the running of cricket in this country but on this occasion Australia's Team Manager, Coach, Captain and Vice-Captain must accept responsibility and culpability for actively, deliberately, shamelessly cheating.

I damn-near shed a tear this morning over these pricks.

Last edited:
I did cry. You don't cheat. It's woeful and disgusting. Smith is gone in my eyes. His deeds yesterday undoing his legacy.

There's talent around - Renshaw, Sayers, Stanlake, Carey. I feel for good blokes who never get a shot too. It will come in for any of those bastards who thought cheating was ok.

Langer, Dizzy, Punter can coach.

I want to know who the co-conspirators are and see them gone. Then build a new team and a new culture.

I also feel for Allan Border a man who I cherish having to sit there and commentate as our legacy was flushed down a toilet.

gutless from Smith not naming names. It tarnishes those not involved. And what if they knew and said no I don't want to be party to this!?!? They're now stuffed.

Fall on your sword Smith.

Writing for Cricinfo, Daniel Brettig has named Smith, Warner, Lyon, Starc and Hazlewood as Australia's "team leaders". As usual, Dan has written perceptively on the issue.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22898362/australia-line-becomes-their-noose

The one positive (if there can be one) is that the condemnation has come from our OWN shores as well - there is genuine disgust and anger about this throughout the cricket community.

Back
Top Bottom