The Australian cricket non-official thread!

This mightn't be a popular view in the current climate of high emotion and intense anger, but I do hope that the individuals involved in this incident are afforded the appropriate support to assist with their mental wellbeing. For some, the public and private shame of their actions might become too much to bear. What has been exposed in the last 48 hours is a cricket matter, not a criminal or life-and-death matter. Worse things are done in life, on an hour-by-hour basis.

This of course is not to excuse the act of cheating, or to even back down from my previous comments - all of which are heartfelt. My personal belief is that a life ban from playing cricket would be an appropriate outcome - certainly for the two players (Smith and Warner) carrying official titles. For those involved in "the decision"...hmm, then it becomes a bit tricky. Likewise for any player who then became complicit through their preparedness to take the field KNOWING that cheating was to occur.

However, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I think of greater concern to cricket is:

- big bats
- smaller ring boundaries
- benign pitches
- dead balls
- DRS 2nd chances
- gambling on games and with that possible external pressures to 'succeed'

Only hours before whilst at the Rabbits game, my wife and I were discussing the current disparity between bat and ball in light of how Anderson couldn't get the pink ball to swing and he didn't bother trying (from post day 1 interview vs NZ).

Australia has a chance to move forward. My fear is 'everyone's doing it' and others don't care until caught. Hell, Faf has been done twice and he's pointing finger saying 'I'm not as bad as them ...' It's puerile and pathetic.

You'll see cricket pants with no pockets, ball back to umpire end of every over and keep calm carry on. These so called professionals are all as bad one another. I'm just glad we've been caught out.

There are reports this afternoon Smith and Warner are facing life bans.

TBH I don't really have a problem with that. It's terribly sad but...

There are reports this afternoon Smith and Warner are facing life bans.

TBH I don't really have a problem with that. It's terribly sad but...
It's entirely possible based on the rules but I very highly doubt that would happen.

On a side note, it's nearly a year to the day since I wrote an article for The Roar about Steve Smith and Virat Kohli. Here's an excerpt referencing the DRS change room incident:

"This latest series was a real Test of Steve’s character. It’s hard to imagine how Steve Smith would have felt when Virat Kohli and the Indian media questioned his integrity. No one could have blamed Steve if he responded to those claims with an equally controversial remark, but he made it clear that he would not tarnish the Australian notion of sportsmanship.

His public apology and admission to a genuine brain fade are a prime example of his humble nature. He has no willingness to put himself and his ego ahead of his country. He is setting a perfect example for his team and everyone watching, showcasing all the qualities needed to be an Australian cricket captain.
"

Oh how times have changed...

I don’t normally DO brief posts, but I read in both The Age (Fairfax) and The Advertiser (News Limited) that neither Josh Hazlewood or Mitchell Starc knew about or were involved in the plan to cheat. That both Andrew Wu and Peter Lalor are prepared to put their name to this public declaration is good enough for me.

To Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc, I apologise wholeheartedly for assuming that Steven Smith’s “leadership group” comment was completely factual and therefore linked you to the activity. It has since emerged that Smith instead meant “senior players”.

Dizzy Gillespie:
Gillespie said it is crucial that the players in the leadership group were confirmed and there is certainty over whether team coaches were also involved.

“We need this information and we need it yesterday because I know of at least one senior player who is outraged that they have been dragged into the dirt by association without having been involved at all,” he said.

Off topic, Bravo NZ.

RE Australia

I love cricket too much and whoever is revealed to be a coconspirator should be reserved for wrath.

I absolutely feel for Aussie players not involved.

My son cries this afternoon after being glum hearing Warner and Smith were dropped and could be severely punished. What the cheats did goes beyond what they did.

I hope out of it we clean up our act and image.

Im sorry I dont get the outrage, you would think they had raped the virgin mary, killed the baby jesus, sodomised buddha and taken allah out drinking and whoring instead of broken a rule in a sporting game.
Sportsmanship long ago disappeared from professional sport, the only thing that matters is results. In reality what they did is not much different to a batsman not walking when he knows he hit the ball or a bowler appealing for a decision he doesnt really think is out.
The seriousness of the offence is best judged by the penalties handed out by the ICC. We have NRL & AFL players who break the rules and get far harsher penalties every week but for some reason we dont get the same out rage. Why they have broken the rules in an attempt to gain an advantage and win.

I know rules are rules but I don’t think it’s fair they lose a whole days play yet QLD can still win from a draw.

Agreed but “technically” QLD have a first innings lead and that should be enough to take home the chocolates.... should Tassie have kept them under there score, then Tassie should have been awarded the chocolates should the match eventuate a draw... just my two cents worth...

Im sorry I dont get the outrage, you would think they had raped the virgin mary, killed the baby jesus, sodomised buddha and taken allah out drinking and whoring instead of broken a rule in a sporting game.
Sportsmanship long ago disappeared from professional sport, the only thing that matters is results. In reality what they did is not much different to a batsman not walking when he knows he hit the ball or a bowler appealing for a decision he doesnt really think is out.
The seriousness of the offence is best judged by the penalties handed out by the ICC. We have NRL & AFL players who break the rules and get far harsher penalties every week but for some reason we dont get the same out rage. Why they have broken the rules in an attempt to gain an advantage and win.

Sean, the points you make are reasonable and understandable. I think the one aspect of this that people like myself have great difficulty accepting is that during a scheduled break in play, members of the team could engage in a conversation where the topic of actively cheating is at first discussed and then endorsed. It’s the brazen, calculating and cold pre-meditated nature of it that has shocked so many of us.

For those who are interested in good clean cricket....

https://twitter.com/SouthernStars?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Great to see the Aussie Women doing the Green & Gold proud - all on their own merits and without resorting to cheating...

Go girls...

As for the mens team - I feel sorry for those who were not involved. As for Warner, Smith, Boof and Bancroft - they've already made their money from the game, but ban them for life, and ball tamper them with roughed up tape until there's nothing left...Absolute disgrace to the game, disrespect to the baggy green and all the spirit embodied in it...

Way to screw the sport guys....Grrrrrrrr....

Bronz

Good to see chris lynn say what he has.
The fact it happens at all levels of cricket in Aus and people seem oblivious to it or are only outraged when it happens at the highest levels is why I find the calls for life bans laughable.
If life bans were to be applied to everyone ever involved in ball tampering at every level then we would have next to no one left playing cricket in Aus. Most isnt as premeditated or as planned as what has happened but the intent is the same.

I can’t agree with any life ban comments. Put it into perspective guys. Justin Charles for Richmond took a banned steroid to help get over injury, he knew exactly what he was doing. He got 12 months. Shane Warne was found to be guilty of also taking a banned substance, also 12 months. 12 months would be a fair ban I think, because after 12 months it would be a brave selection board to pick them again anytime soon. They would need to grind away at state level for awhile to gain any respect back.

Reactions: 220
Chris Lynn is entitled to his opinion. As I am.

I grew up with an era of Australian cricket that fought hard and often lost. Fellows like Allan Border, David Boon, Merv Hughes, Steve Waugh, Dean Jones. The baggy green was something to fight for and they didn't earn millions of dollars through player wages, endorsements or sponsorships. They went on 'tours' and represented us. I don't remember them cheating.

One of my heroes was Kepler Wessels. He fought tooth and nail for every scrap of cricket he played. I also loved Kim Hughes as he was captain and a beautiful beat. Along with others, they took money to play in South Africa and subsequently were banned for two-three years. I don't ever remember them cheating.

Since 1995 and the dawn of the professional era we've seen arrogance, sledging, poor sportsmanship, racist derogatory comments and a boys club in all sports including cricket. Shane Warne's drug scandal was pitiful. At the time I wanted him banned too.

Through 35+ years of playing, watching, coaching and loving test cricket, I have admired so many players now tarnished - how long has this gone on etc etc. Their legacy should not be diminished by Smith and Warner.

If 'everyone's doing it' fine. And let's face it Soutg Africa and England can hardly point the finger with cases of ball tampering against them. And I'm not foolish enough to think Aussies haven't done it either. But to sit there and conspire to cheat...well that'll do me. Chris Lynn can take his fat bat, his fragile shoulder and his opinion and follow the others out the door.

seems to be a different story every 30 minutes

Smith Knew
Leadership Team Decided to Cheat
Boof Instructed it
Smith Lied and is covering
Warner was the Culprit
Half the team seeking union advice as they didnt know and dont want to be tarnished
Whole Team Knows

Tomorrow it might be South Africa Framed the Aussies..

Alot of Emotional Reporting

but will we ever get the full story or will that be resrved for a chapter in a future Book Deal??

Back
Top Bottom