The Australian cricket non-official thread!

Well, the less said about THAT Test match, the better. I lost count of the number of times Australia let South Africa off the hook, although I think - as the ad used to say - “3 is the magic number”. To go from 0/98 to 243 all out in the first innings, let South Africa move from 7/227 to a final score of 382 and then lose our last 6/66 in the second innings was like losing the same game three times over. Still, the cricket itself has been pretty good. I just hope the 50 people at the ground enjoyed it :)

Watching the different ways in which countries telecast and present their cricket got me thinking and inspired me to ask this question:

What is your earliest memory of watching cricket on television? Mine was (thanks Wisden for the exact date!) 23rd November 1990. These were the days when ABC Television showed live Test cricket in conjunction with Channel Nine...I can’t exactly remember the specifics @The Mad Hatter, maybe you can remember mate?

Anyway, within minutes of racing home from High School (@Keatoboy yes I AM old! :)) and switching on the TV, Allan Lamb was caught by Merv Hughes off Greg Matthews. From that very moment, I was hooked.

Yeah we certainly lacked that killer blow but at least we know this series will go down to the wire. Good for our boys to have a dent in the ego!

I can't specifically recall my first memory of cricket on TV but I think maybe the late 80's, maybe 88 when we had the Windies (when they had heart and could play) and Pakistan with Imran and a young Wasim. I believe that the ODI series that year was when S.Waugh took took that amazing running catch toward the sight screen, maybe Roger Harper was the batsmen.

One thing I do have a vivid recollection about from that time (apart from hall cricket when it was raining) is the distinctive beginning to 9's commentary coverage which would end with the ball being smashed at the viewer. My older brother and I would jostle to get in position to catch the ball!

My nan lived on Central Coast and I used to watch tests on ABC. It was for rural areas outside Sydney. I can't remember when that arrangement ended but I assume it was a carry over from the WSC era where ABC carried tests and 9 had SUPER Tests and ODI, and the reunification deal allowed both to cover games in some capacity. And I assume ssiscdeal expired very early 90s.

My nan also received NBN. It was great because it wasn't subject to the home city blackout rule that ran until 2004/05. I believe the blackout ended after ch 9 paid more saying it was in the national interest because Sydney missed S Waugh's final test until they got a late change and showed more of it than they normally would.

My first memory of cricket on telly is vague but it is 1982/83 as my dad was English and his parents were out visiting. They watched it so did I. I found it laboriously boring. In fact I didn't really get in to tests until 1989 Ashes. My first distinct memory is being at my neighbours when Boon debuted against WI and she was lamenting how this poor little fella was being pummelled by WI bowlers but hadn't given up. We were riding his every run.
The 80s were great despite us being woeful (didn't bother me st all then) and I loved Border, Boon and Dean Jones.

I also remember the old Cmon Aussie Cmon ads of the 1980s. ODI was soooo exciting and I had the Scanlens sticker books and the colour and promos were just awesome. Probably how BBL is for kids now. In my house ODI was the ruination of proper cricket lol.

This was the ad in 1983/84 and to be honest I found it terrifying at the time. Lol x 1000000

Growing up in that era the thing that I loved were the odi uniforms. After the 1997/98 season when the original WSC deal ended, countries started wearing their own gear -a hodge podge of terribly designed gear that continues to this day.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KiihZCcYe5M

I remember going into Maccas especially to get these bad boys. If you look close enough you will see the thumb tack holes in the corners from when they were on my wall as a young fella.

Recently rediscovered gems!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

How is this for a statistic?! The fall of Morne Morkel’s wicket saw two world records equalled from the one delivery:

*Steven Smith equalled the record for the most number of catches (excluding wicket keepers) taken in a Test innings - becoming the 11th player to take five catches.

*In remaining not out, Dean Elgar joins Desmond Haynes as the only player to carry his bat three times in Test cricket.

However, in South Africa’s second innings (assuming there is one!), our man the GOAT - that magnificent balding bastard - must surely be odds on to take his 299th and 300th Test wicket! :)

Back
Top Bottom