Supremacy 2021

So why shouldn’t select make a bit more money on a quality in demand product?

If as rumoured it’s about $300 for 5 cards, it would actually be much easier for select to just up it to $600 for 10 cards, if they were only interested in profits as halving boxes means much higher costs for them for box costs, packing costs, posting costs etc, so the halving of box sizes is really about tying to give as many people as possible a chance of getting something
Do you really think Select are that generous? All the added costs you've mentioned would have been included in Select's pricing strategy. Yes, more people will get their hands on a box of Supremacy, allowing Select to preserve their profit margins. By offering collectors a lower priced option (albeit less cards) it's enabled Select to increase their price because it shifts the focus away from the price increase.

is are hobby ready for 1/1?
the gold/headlines at #25 seam just about right when it comes to low numbering.
Well the way I see it select are moving closer to NBA Each release so might aswell bring in 1of1 supremecy is the perfect release to do it, master set collectors are gone, team set collections are almost impossible anyway so I say why not, it’s a breakers game now anyway and they will love it

Well the way I see it select are moving closer to NBA Each release so might aswell bring in 1of1 supremecy is the perfect release to do it, master set collectors are gone, team set collections are almost impossible anyway so I say why not, it’s a breakers game now anyway and they will love it
you do raise good points..
set collectors are a thing of the past and team set collectors are dropping with each new release.

Problem with 1/1s is that they'll all be pulled by the big breakers and sellers in the first day and will leave everyone in tears

How much would the price differ between 1/1 and 5/5, I'd rather see something thats a balance between price and rarity. 15/15 seems a nice round number.

How much would the price differ between 1/1 and 5/5, I'd rather see something thats a balance between price and rarity. 15/15 seems a nice round number.

Who knows

The 1 of 1 is pretty much a blank cheque. Write your own price and let the punters decide via ebay offers

5/5 would be determined by the weakest link

Cards are about the thrill of the chase and the love of building something meaningfull.

1 of 1 cards are about money and profit. There is no chase to a 1 of 1 as its just luck of the draw and who has the most money once it hits the secondary market (if it does). 90% will go to breakers or retailers and it will destroy all the previous hard work we have done as team collectors.

Completely agree with drama on this one - every team still has a number of collectors who attempt to complete a team set each release. Surely Select don‘t risk alienating most of them, there’s plenty of cards that are extremely valuable and almost impossible to find as it is (but not completely impossible as would happen with 1/1s, so the sniff is always there). I think the current situation with /25 as the rarest is about right.

To be honest, Select don't owe master collectors anything. I'd prefer a chance at a 1/1 over a bruised collector's ego.

It is what it is.

To be honest, Select don't owe master collectors anything. I'd prefer a chance at a 1/1 over a bruised collector's ego.

It is what it is.
They dont owe anyone anything but collectors are in for the long term. Gamblers and opportunists come and go.

Isolate collectors all you want but dont expect the sneaker flippers and investors to still be there when the momentum stagnates and covid ends (ans everyone starts spendong money ob travel, parties etc)

And pretty arrogant to label it as a bruised collectors ego. Nothing to do with ego and all to do with the driving forces behind a succesfull hobby.

A balance is needed and 1 of 1s1dsont provide that balance. There is a reason /25 is the lowest select have gone and those who dont ubderstand why are usually nba collectors who cant identify the difference between the nba market set up and the afl

It is what it is.

You are right!

They simply don't owe collectors anything and the mindset from them at present is purely and simply all about the $$$$.

Will they do 1/1 cards? I doubt it.....but who knows one day it may happen?

You are right!

They simply don't owe collectors anything and the mindset from them at present is purely and simply all about the $$$$.

Will they do 1/1 cards? I doubt it.....but who knows one day it may happen?
No chance they do it in the short term. People are getting upset over nothing, but I honestly believe that the temptation is there.

They will toy with it and I believe eventually we might see it. The global slowdown in the card market might save the master collector. I think it's only going to get worse and it'll lead to people and demand drifting away.

I think /25 is currently a great sweet spot. Everyone is a chance to pull them and pay up (unless Richmond ;) )

Never used the word arrogant or said that 1 of 1 collectors are nba collectors. I said those who dont understand the reasons why 1 of 1s dont exist in the afl market are generally nba collectors. Big difference. Collect 1 of 1s1 all you like but you have to also acknowledge the reason why 1 of 1s dont exist in australian and afl card market.

But each to their own and if 1 of 1s are released in the next 4 years i will apologise and admit thay i was wrong!! Screenshot this convo for future use ;)

It is what it is.
Has nothing to do with ego mate, many people just like the idea of being able to collect every card for a team, and including 1/1s means that becomes impossible for almost every team collector, ending that chase. I fully understand why people like the idea of 1/1s, but in my opinion the cons would outweigh the pros.

And I’m not making any judgement on whether it will happen, just whether it should. I don’t know nearly enough about how Select works to pretend to have any clue about that :)

I’ll weigh in here. 3 years ago I would have said my opinion is please never do 1/1’s because I’d like at least the opportunity to collect every Hawks card. But in the last few years we see massive high end cards to /25 selling for ridiculous coin and unless I pull one or some sweet trade bait then I’ve realised the way the hobby has gone I’ll simply never have these cards, my budget won’t allow it. Dipierdomenico Brownlow/Premiership double signature is an example I’ll use for me, I honestly don’t think I’ll ever own this card. So do I want 1/1’s in AFL, hell no. But does the idea scare me as much as it did 3 years ago? The answer is also no.

Back
Top Bottom