Shane Warne & Select 09/10 release

My view is that he was offered $10K for 20 minutes work and he declined. Hard to believe he couldn't squeeze in the time when he was offered 10 grand to do it.

From what I understand he knocked it back not because he didn't have time but he didn't think $10K was enough money for him to do it. I am surprised that he wouldn't do it and tell Select to put the $10K toward the Shane Warne foundation - after all he probably signs 100 autos every week - why wouldn't he want the cash to go to his foundation??

I am a little surprised people are defending him so vehemently - just because he was a great leg spinner doesn't mean that everything he does is right and he is any better person than the rest of us. I am a Shane Warne fan and know that he is a very good bloke and does a lot of fundraising and stuff for charity - $10K for signing 100 cards is more than adequate in anyone's language - that equates to about $30,000 per hour!!!! C'mon!!!

Yeah but we are basing our view on simply hearsay with many 'if's and 'buts'. Someone should email his management or something and see if they can get more information?

Yeah but we are basing our view on simply hearsay with many 'if's and 'buts'. Someone should email his management or something and see if they can get more information?

That is a great idea :thumbsup:

I also thought that maybe with the impending 2010 Futera international cricket release that he may have already been locked into an exclusive deal with them???

My view is that he was offered $10K for 20 minutes work and he declined. Hard to believe he couldn't squeeze in the time when he was offered 10 grand to do it.

From what I understand he knocked it back not because he didn't have time but he didn't think $10K was enough money for him to do it. I am surprised that he wouldn't do it and tell Select to put the $10K toward the Shane Warne foundation - after all he probably signs 100 autos every week - why wouldn't he want the cash to go to his foundation??

I am a little surprised people are defending him so vehemently - just because he was a great leg spinner doesn't mean that everything he does is right and he is any better person than the rest of us. I am a Shane Warne fan and know that he is a very good bloke and does a lot of fundraising and stuff for charity - $10K for signing 100 cards is more than adequate in anyone's language - that equates to about $30,000 per hour!!!! C'mon!!!

If this is the case Brad, I agree that it is disappointing, but it still doesn't explain Select excluding him from other inserts. Just seems a little petty to me on their part...

Come on people............u can understand why Shane Warne refused the offer, it is the fans themselves that are responsible for this issue across all codes / games. People who get cards autographed then sell them are making a profit on the back of the other persons name, it happens in AFL, NRL and Cricket.

The players know this, they troll ebay just like you and I do and they have a right to get pi55ed off at fans who make a profit on their name.

Unfortunately there is just no way to prevent the sale of stuff like this, I wish there was a way to stop it but there isn't.

tak35bne;590891 Unfortunately there is just no way to prevent the sale of stuff like this said:
There is a way. The players could stop signing cards. Maybe they don't care as much as you say.

My old man and I caught up with Terry Jenner for lunch on Thursday (old family friend). He said Warne has a new manager as of 6-12 months ago - he handles ALL of Warne's business decisions and has raised the bar considerably as far as what he will and will not do. Gone apparently are the days of Warney doing a guest speaking gig for $5K - he (or should I say his management) are now charging $20K. Since the Warne brand has gone global with Poker and other overseas commitments he is now living in a completely different world and has offers coming in from everywhere, so $10K from Select just isn't really worth his while - especially when his management would know that his signature cards would essentially sell for $30K in the marketplace.

Warne has always helped Jenner out with fundraising for Mission SA (helping drug and alcohol affected young people), and in the past he has rung Warne direct to discuss guest speaking commitments or getting him to sign auction memorabilia. Anyway TJ now must go through his management to negotiate this, and last week TJ had to fill out a 2 page document detailing every minute detail of the fundraising dinner...ie how Warne was being picked up from the airport, what car, drivers name, what guests were to be on his table and detailing every request TJ was to get him to do on the evening.

So unless Select are going to cough up $20-30K to SKW in the future I dare say we have seen our last Warne signature card!

Thanks Brad. At least we now know the complete story. Sad though. The mighty $ rules the roost.

Back
Top Bottom