Shane Warne & Select 09/10 release

bjs127

Cricket card fanatic
Real Name
Brad
eBay User
bjs127
Hi guys,

I was speaking with Daz earlier today (BLOWN8) who made an important point about Warney not being featured in the inserts for this year's Select release - most notably without a signature card.

Well I have just found out the reason why - Warne was offered $10,000 from Select to sign 100 cards - and he declined!!

Makes you wonder then if he will ever feature again in Select releases, or if there will ever be another Warne signature card. Very sad news for us collectors if that is the case.

I guess it may drive up the price of previous Warne signatures and inserts?

Your thoughts??

John: it makes your job easier to collect all Warne inserts - great news for you!

I don't mind that!
I'd rather Warne Signatures be few and far between, otherwise they will decrease in value like the MJ autos have!

I mean every 5th box seems to have a MJ or LJ auto now......it's part of the reason I stopped collecting NBA....they have flooded the market to the point of saturation :(

Now I know this unlikely to happen with Shane Warne Autos but there is even less chance of that if he is selective with who he signs for.

Just my 10c worth :)

how did you find out the details about the offer etc mate?

I have a very reliable source in a very high place Ryan :v:

Richo I agree with you - the less Warne sigs around the better IMHO. I must admit I like the way Select just ignored him completely from all inserts after he refused to sign - I thought they might still go with an unsigned redemption (similar to the man of the series card in 97/98), but hats off to Mr G Copley for being so stubborn!

Nice investagation work there brad. i see what your saying about the warney sigs now being even more desirable but still, its been over 10 years since he has signed a card, doesnt he think its about time he signed another one. warney has been my idol since i was about 11 but this has just dropped him down the ladder IMO, gilly has just overtaken warne as my all time fav cricketer!
isnt there only 2 warne signature cards ever? warne hat trick sig and the 94/95 signatures via redemption which includes boon, waugh etc etc. they were both futera, select have never done a warne signature card, doesnt he like Select or something?

poor form warney, what about the fans who have supported you through the good times and the bad!!! :mad:

i can understand Select wanting to leave warne out completely from all inserts, but it just sucks as a collector.

There are 3 Warne sigs Daz - Warne also has a signature card in the 04/05 ESP release.

And I remember seeing recently an unsigned signature card on ebay from the 2002 Topps set also - clearly he baulked at their offer to sign for them at the last minute also.

I agree, it is disappointing for collectors - a "708" Legend signature card has a great ring to it. Even if Select paid him $10K to sign only 50 - that would have been even better! Make it uber-rare!

I have to say I am a bit disappointed that he would decline to sign cards, but the way I see it, if Warnie doesn't want to sign cards, he has every right not to without being judged for it. Warnie was never one to do things just because everyone else did and he felt obliged that he had to. At the end of the day, he is the greatest bowler the world has ever seen, and has already given an enormous amount to cricket and all his fans.

IMO it is more disappointing that Select are refusing to feature him on any of their other inserts. I'm not sure if this is a deliberate action (methinks it is - surely Warnie deserved a spot in the Past Heroes from 2008), but if it is, then Select have more to answer to than Warnie does.

Warnie is a cricketer whos job it was to win games of cricket.
Select are a card company whos job it is to satisfy the demands of us strange mob.

Warnie has well and truely done his job, but IF Select are deliberately refusing to feature him purely because he won't sign, then this is extremely childish and disappointing.

Just my humble opinion...

I don't mind that!
I'd rather Warne Signatures be few and far between, otherwise they will decrease in value like the MJ autos have!

I mean every 5th box seems to have a MJ or LJ auto now......it's part of the reason I stopped collecting NBA....they have flooded the market to the point of saturation :(

Now I know this unlikely to happen with Shane Warne Autos but there is even less chance of that if he is selective with who he signs for.

Just my 10c worth :)

There is absolutely NO way you could compare Warne auto's with LBJ's or MJ's. So it's not like Warney signing these cards would have had any impact on the value of his other signatures. Having Warney sigs in this product would just allow a bunch of new collectors the hope of pulling a sig from the best spinner ever.

For all we know he may not have had the time to sign these, he is travelling all over the world doing this and that and it may not have fit in with his schedule.

Can't believe people were calling him an idiot. This is the best spinner to ever grace the Earth and probably Australia's best ever bowler. Unbelievable.

I guess it would take him 1-2 hours to sign 100 cards. Thanks for all the great moments Warnie. You will always be the best. Didn't take you long to forget your paying fans though. Of course, we don't know the full story. But if it's just a feud with Select it is very sad.

Well he did sign 2 with Futera and 1 with CA.
Maybe Select did say something to offend him?
Good on him for not wanting to sign, just brings up the value of his signed Futera cards.

Nice investagation work there brad. i see what your saying about the warney sigs now being even more desirable but still, its been over 10 years since he has signed a card, doesnt he think its about time he signed another one. warney has been my idol since i was about 11 but this has just dropped him down the ladder IMO, gilly has just overtaken warne as my all time fav cricketer!
isnt there only 2 warne signature cards ever? warne hat trick sig and the 94/95 signatures via redemption which includes boon, waugh etc etc. they were both futera, select have never done a warne signature card, doesnt he like Select or something?

poor form warney, what about the fans who have supported you through the good times and the bad!!! :mad:

i can understand Select wanting to leave warne out completely from all inserts, but it just sucks as a collector.

This is the reason why we never seem to get a great release for the cricket as everthing costs money these days ...No one does it for the collectors ....On the other hand why shouldn`t they charge for there signatures as a lot of other people make money on there signatures ...

There are a lot of people who get players signatures from all sport codes and then sell the cards for money so why shouldn`t they charge for there signatures .....But maybe not as much as some players ask ....

Didn't take you long to forget your paying fans though. Of course, we don't know the full story.

Eh??? :blink:

---------- Post added 29-10-2009 at 09:30 PM ----------

You have to remember as well, Select would have wanted him to do it by a deadline, and if he is travelling all around being the face of 888 and whatnot, he might not have a fixed address and it may have been too much hassle. Who knows?

My view is that he was offered $10K for 20 minutes work and he declined. Hard to believe he couldn't squeeze in the time when he was offered 10 grand to do it.

From what I understand he knocked it back not because he didn't have time but he didn't think $10K was enough money for him to do it. I am surprised that he wouldn't do it and tell Select to put the $10K toward the Shane Warne foundation - after all he probably signs 100 autos every week - why wouldn't he want the cash to go to his foundation??

I am a little surprised people are defending him so vehemently - just because he was a great leg spinner doesn't mean that everything he does is right and he is any better person than the rest of us. I am a Shane Warne fan and know that he is a very good bloke and does a lot of fundraising and stuff for charity - $10K for signing 100 cards is more than adequate in anyone's language - that equates to about $30,000 per hour!!!! C'mon!!!

Back
Top Bottom