Select Supremacy Thread (now with Afterpay)

I have been very critical of these so far, and not for the numbered reasons (I agree that we shouldn't have really low numbered cards) but more overall design and the idea it might be cheaper to just buy the WCE cards.

The Weideman is the first one to make me want to buy a box now, and that's coming from a WCE collector.

Yeah i'm more a silver fan..... those gold cards never did much for me! Too much bling, not enough substance but im sure they are the greatest ever made! 😂 😂 😂

I'm actually surprised they haven't rehashed them for this release?

Each to their own I guess...... all I have to say to you is be careful drinking the Select Kool Aid...... like most of the major re-sellers who did and had supported Select over the years and then got pushed aside...... Select has pissed off a lot of good people recently but they have to live and die by their decisions they have made.

I dont drink their kool aid and i have no doubt you have your reasons for not liking them. But they are your personal reasons and as an admin it would just be great if you didnt go out on a campaign to force that anti select bias down everyones throat.

Tbh this site used to be my favourite place to go for cards but with all the negativity and slander towards every single release it has lost my faith and i am at the point of giving up on thos page like many others already have. I know i am not alone and have spoken to many many people who have left this once great site for very similiar reasons. Would explain why the afl threads are pretty much dead these days!

There is having an opinion and then there is just trying to force beliefs down peoples throats.

Thats my 10c worth and take from it what you will. But in terms of select digging their own hole i think that works both ways and its just as relevent to this site and the damage it has with admins being so so negative towards every release.

I think that those people defending the quality of the release need to release that those criticising it aren't saying that they are not good cards and that they wouldn't want some of them in their collection, it's a matter of value. I reckon $300 would have been closer to the mark from what has been put forward thus far.

Agree, i like them but just not at $500 per box. Will be good for breaks where you only pay a portion of that amount. I think they will be popular, I just do not think they will reach the big prices some think. Time will tell as the initial prices will be high due to the box price, the 6k figure thrown out there has been done to build some hype and
attempt to try and set the bar high before release.

Last edited:
Honest Q:

How many Murray weideman sig releases exist outside of this?

Actually there are a few, Select has already released one and so has APCS for the Show Card, his signature is not that rare.

D83051E1-4D51-4E37-AD54-BD2B4BACCE42.jpeg

CD7906F5-8BE6-4120-8F4E-B94C12B758FF.jpeg

As much as I am liking these cards does anyone else think a few cut signature cards of some passed away greats is needed? Signature cards and patch cards have been done before so nothing new there. Patch cards of 70’s and 80’s greats would also be nice to see. Hopefully some stuff that blows us away in the next few previews. I’m with some others here and am going to need to see a checklist or at least know roughly what each box will contain before I know if $500 is justified.

For $500, this set looks unappealing so far.
The cards look nice (Bickley and Weideman cards), but obviously the lack of rarity is probably the downfall... if a /25 auto is the rarest card you can get in a $500 box? Yikes

Like I get that team collectors need to be happy and that's why cards can't be too rare and stuff... but some super low, /10 /5 /1 numbered cards in a grand release like this would've been awesome. Some cut signatures? Those would be incredible 1/1s... ah well

For $500, this set looks unappealing so far.
The cards look nice (Bickley and Weideman cards), but obviously the lack of rarity is probably the downfall... if a /25 auto is the rarest card you can get in a $500 box? Yikes

Like I get that team collectors need to be happy and that's why cards can't be too rare and stuff... but some super low, /10 /5 /1 numbered cards in a grand release like this would've been awesome. Some cut signatures? Those would be incredible 1/1s... ah well
I agree I like the idea of 1/1 now after doing NRL Elite, the biggest thing for me is it stops case searching as you just never know if you got 1

I agree I like the idea of 1/1 now after doing NRL Elite, the biggest thing for me is it stops case searching as you just never know if you got 1
Exactly man
In the US, they have pack searching (i.e. in the $3 packs they sell in K mart and sh*t), but for the high end releases, pack (more specifically, box/case) searching is unheard of, because you have no idea what the next box is gonna bring even after you open 1

I mean this is still a solid release, not worth $500 imo

5 of the biggest hits are yet to be announced and same old people moaning about the price.

In less than 2 weeks everything will be revealed and then you can carry on complaining.

Same old people who hardly collect AFL.

If the product came out in its current form, obviously it deserves to be whacked.

As much as I am liking these cards does anyone else think a few cut signature cards of some passed away greats is needed? Signature cards and patch cards have been done before so nothing new there. Patch cards of 70’s and 80’s greats would also be nice to see. Hopefully some stuff that blows us away in the next few previews. I’m with some others here and am going to need to see a checklist or at least know roughly what each box will contain before I know if $500 is justified.

Never heard of these cut Signatures, how do they work?

Essentially it’s a 1/1 so we probably won’t see them. But it’s an authenticated signature cut off something like a letter or cheque or whatever, then inserted into a card. Look them up on eBay or Google, they are quite popular in the States. We got 3 Reynolds ones in GOTG and Bradman ones in Tap N Play Ashes release a couple of years ago. It doesn’t have to be a 1/1 if sigs are done on specific cardboard or paper for the purpose of memorabilia after that person passes away.

1567939087283.png

(Poor image quality) but this is an MLB cut signature from a Leaf product for reference. Just random ass autos cut up... this one is worth like $60 AUD, but babe ruth cut signatures are worth a fortune. Some AFL ones would hold value

Ok i get it, thanks guys, i guess that would work well with a Lou Richards or someone as popular as that.

Imagine how much that would fetch.

Essentially it’s a 1/1 so we probably won’t see them. But it’s an authenticated signature cut off something like a letter or cheque or whatever, then inserted into a card. Look them up on eBay or Google, they are quite popular in the States. We got 3 Reynolds ones in GOTG and Bradman ones in Tap N Play Ashes release a couple of years ago. It doesn’t have to be a 1/1 if sigs are done on specific cardboard or paper for the purpose of memorabilia after that person passes away.

Yep here is one of the Bradmans

1567941426274.png

and this was the Dick Reynolds

1567941524456.png

I definitely don't disagree with you here! Only con is I feel a cut signature of a late legend will never hold the same value of a card he signed of a concept he knew he was depicting when alive?

I definitely don't disagree with you here! Only con is I feel a cut signature of a late legend will never hold the same value of a card he signed of a concept he knew he was depicting when alive?

Possibly not, but take Ted Whitten for example, he has no signature cards, only any IP stuff that people might have got signed when he was still alive. Any legend of the game who passed away pre 90’s would be very sort after in a cut signature card.

Back
Top Bottom