Rare 1981 Scanlens mailday...

bjs127

Cricket card fanatic
Real Name
Brad
eBay User
bjs127
Some of you guys will be too young to fully appreciate this set, but as a cricket-mad 5 year old (i'm 33 now) this was the first series of cricket cards I collected, so it is a special set in my eyes. I remember Mum and I picking Dad up from the train station after work and he handed me a handful of packs of these to open, and....well....my addiction to this day is all his fault (can't say I ever fell in love with the cardboard-flavoured bubble gum though!)!!

I have been looking for one of these for ages, and today the eagle finally landed - a 1981 Scanlens box! Better still, I managed to find a mint box flat - it has never been used and is as flat and crisp as the day it was made 18 years ago!! :D

Thought I'd show you guys the other rarer 1981 Scanlens items I have that it goes with. Pics are of:
1) uncirculated box flat (front & inside)
2) sealed 3-pack (front & back)
3) fold up card holder (was found inside the 3-pack only)
4) sealed single pack (front & back)
5) unopened 1981 Scanlens oversize card (front & back)

Merry xmas to you all - have a safe break guys, eat, drink and be merry...see you next year :wave:

Brad

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

AAAaaaaargh i was 10 when they came out and my brother and i attached them to our bikes with pegs so they made motorcyle sounds!!!!!

I never knew they would be so rare!!

Nice work Brad

Sets or loose cards of these 1981 cards are on eBay almost every day and can be picked up fairly cheaply ($50-80 for a full set of 84 + checklists depending on condition) - it is the sealed packs or empty boxes are very hard to come by.

Yeah you have to love the earliest set you collected as a kid, theres always a special place in your heart for them. Great pick ups.

Ohhhh sweet memories, I use to collect the Cricket cards along with the AFL and still have some to this day. I've lost count the amount of times I stopped breathing and almost died after shoving all those sticks of Bubble Gum in my mouth in one hit.:lol:

That's a sweet addition to anyones collection, nice work.

What an awesome find Well Done mate :thumbsup: One of my favourite sets also!

Thanks for the comments guys - glad this set brings back some memories for some. I love the simple design of these 80s cards!

Funny how the process works - find childhood set, trade up to mint set, track down an empty wrapper, track down an unopened pack, track down empty box......then finally track down FULL box!!

Here are some as they appeared when they hit the shelves of the deli/milk bar:

1) 1983 stickers box (sealed)
2) 1986/87 full box
3) 1988/89 full box (sealed)
4) 1990/91 full box

If anyone can help me with a 1989/90 Scanlens box I will pay you TOP dollar!!!

Also after boxes of the other 3 sticker sets...

Happy new year! :thumbsup:

1983 sealed box.jpg

1986 1.jpg

1988 sealed 1.jpg

1990 unsealed 1.jpg

Very nice! Now all you need are some 5c and 10c bags of mixed lollies beside them :p

Well Done Brad!

Thought I would add to this thread as I have finally managed to track down ALL 18 of these oversized cards unopened/sealed in their packs - exactly as they were sold way back in 1981!!

You can see through the wrappers and the numbering /18 of each card is in the top right corner, so I know I have all 18 different cards.

I have 4 spares that I am selling for $25 each - Geoff Lawson, Terry Alderman, Ray Bright and Jim Higgs. I cannot emphasise enough just how incredibly hard it is to find sealed examples of these....PM me if anyone is interested. :thumbsup:

Now I just need to find the original box - any help would involve a healthy finder's fee! In the meantime here are the pics:

10.jpg

11.jpg

9.jpg

Thanks Matt, as with most of the early 80s stuff it is a basic design but so instantly retro.....i love it!

Getting hard to pull now we are 30 years on! Ahhh the memories!!!

Damn they are the same age as me and in a lot better condition! Your dedication never ceases to amaze me! Well done:thumbsup: Where do you track down all of this stuff?!?!

Back
Top Bottom