Outbidding fellow OzCardTrader members on eBay.

kidd05

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Carlos
eBay User
cahl0s05
:twisted:

What are your thoughts on this? I'm not targetting anyone in particular, and I honestly don't mind when someone I know bids on top of me (me being the high bidder).

With me though, when I see someone winning an auction of a player he collects, it's a hands off for me, because I know he needs/wants it more than I do and I would want him to have it at the lowest price possible.

How bout you guys? How would you feel if say someone from the forums who collects the same player as you bids over you? ;)

If they are doing it continually perhaps email them and work something out so you both dont have to pay more than what you have to for the cards. For low numbered cards and 1/1's its game on - but more common stuff I dont get it ..

I know some other Hill buyers on ebay (not on these boards) and ill steer clear of the stuff they bid on first because they love to bid them up. As soon as theyve got themselves that card, ill then go for stuff after that .. works for me :D

Other way to do it Carlos is to not bid until the last seconds - SNIPE CITY BABY!!!!

hill33 said:
Other way to do it Carlos is to not bid until the last seconds - SNIPE CITY BABY!!!!

Yeah that's what I do most of the time. But having a high bid (most you'd pay for) works sometimes too as some people get tired of entering bets and seeing that its not enough to be high bidder.

I always snipe bid though on cards that I really really want to win. And I rarely lose on those. :D

kidd05 said:
:twisted:

What are your thoughts on this? I'm not targetting anyone in particular, and I honestly don't mind when someone I know bids on top of me (me being the high bidder).

With me though, when I see someone winning an auction of a player he collects, it's a hands off for me, because I know he needs/wants it more than I do and I would want him to have it at the lowest price possible.

How bout you guys? How would you feel if say someone from the forums who collects the same player as you bids over you? ;)

Id be angry, but thats life, its the nature of an auction, its about who wants the card/box/whatever the most, who is the more dedicated collector.

Usually if it's a common Base/RC or insert card and I know someone from the board is the high bidder, i'll generally wait for another one to come around.

On the other hand, if its a limited high end card, one that I dont think I will be able to find again, then I really think that it should be fair game for anyone who wants it!

They are my thoughts anyway......I am interested to see what everyone Thinks!

Cheers
Matt

Yeh i agree with you JZA..its an "auction" which means whoever wants it the most will get it if they are prepared to pay the right amount.I think you just have to admit that your not the only cllector of that person and that someone will always want it just as much as you....look on the bright side...at least you know who's got the card so you can hassle them for it after the auction ends :wink: :D

I outbid someone on these boards a few weeks ago by accident for a box of cards, I didn't see it until after the auction. I felt a bad but the box was crap!

If it's a know player collector, I would steer clear, unless I also collect the same player. Only if it's more high end too. I'm stingy though, so you will never see me try and outbid someone! LOL

Also, we don't know most peoples eBay names. Some are very different from their name here

I personally don't like the idea of working out agreements with people and lowering the final price of card to buy. The seller deserves to get what the card is worth IMO.

Obviously if you're going after a set or player and other people are too, and you find each other constantly bidding each other up it can be frustrating, but as long as you get the card you want for a price you were willing to pay you should be happy. If you're bidding more than you know you should for particular cards then you've only got to blame yourself.

Sometimes you win auctions cheap that take you by surprise (my Chris Paul SPx AU Jsy RC being a prime example), and sometimes you lose ones that you put a bid you think couldn't possibly get beaten (someone outbid me at $8.51 US for a Glenn Robinson Jersey the other day)!

It's all part of the eBay adventure if you ask me, you win some, you lose some, and sooner or later the card comes up again if you miss out on it anyway (and they generally sell for less second time around)....

I reckon if it is a box, tough luck if you get outbidded. If it is a card I know someone else on here would want more than me, then for sure I would probably back out of it. But if I wanted it just as much as someone else then tough luck.

Just my opinion *shrugs*

How bout you guys? How would you feel if say someone from the forums who collects the same player as you bids over you?

:-({|=

Are you talikng about one certain Bogut SPx auto Carlos!?? Cos I don"t remember bidding on any Kidds(There are some I like though :roll: ). hehe :lol:

ANYWAY, BARGEY IS CORRECT.

WHAT ABOUT WHEN YOU DECIDE TO SELL ONE OF YOUR HIGH END CARDS? THEN YOU WANT EVERYONE TO BID :lol:

Yeah Justin go away!

Hehe jk. Nah its all good. It happens all the time though.. with Bogut cards I mean. Coz there are too many Bogut collectors. :) That one ended quite low though. :p

justdabestcards said:
Yep, another dollar and I would have lost it too :lol:

Should I target Kidd cards instead Carlos? :-k :D :lol:

Lol. I dont buy Kidd cards anymore. :D Check your PM man.

I look at every auction as fair game, everyone is welcome to play ball on them, we shouldnt bitch at someone if we get outbid, they simply wanted and intended on paying more for the card than those who lost out on it.

I was told about a card from a fellow Harris Collector (a Finest Gold Refractor) and he was pissed cos I intended on bidding on it, AFTER he told me. I didnt even know it was on ebay at the time (a US only auction). Asked the seller, and they agreed to send to AUS, so I bid, and we both ended up losing to another collector who paid more than we would have.

You do however become to appreciate others who intendantly (is that a word??) leave off bidding on some cards, as they know, and can see that us Player Collectors would actually appreciate having the card more than they could if they were to bid on it. (I happen to know quite a few people who would bid on Harris cards, but they always tell me that it'd look better in my PC).

Usually tho, it wouldnt matter about some cards, if you want it bad enough, you'll pay for them.....

Whenever I'm wanting to bid on a high-end card that I know friend may be interested in, I always afford them the courtesy of a quick email just to be sure. I don't see why I should be fighting with a mate over a card and costing him extra money.

Having said this, I would not do the same for someone I chat to periodically on a forum. I'm meaning friends who I talk to almost daily. It would become too confusing and most certainly too time consuming to look out for every online card buddy that I know from ozcards, beckett etc. I also wouldn't bother to mention it to a friend unless it was a valuable card e.g., $300USD+ where it might actually be consequential if we fought over it.

Cheers. :D

HI ALL, I have a mixed opinion on this. First, I do feel bad if I get outbid by someone wherever he/she from. BUT I try to understand the situation, if I win then I'll be happy. If I lose I'll wait for the next one up for auction.

These days, specially with the bogut cards, I just put a bid, if I get outbid, I don't try to chase it again (specially if its JUSTIN who is the highest bidder) :D , if I bid again it may still not be enough to win it and more dollars to spend for the winning bidder. I guess the best way is to think of the max you want to pay then put it on WIN or LOSE. Thats the way auction should be. Remember, most of the time, we will get a good bargain....

I guess if you feel guilty of out bidding someone from this forum, then don't try unless you also collect the same player ( may the best collector win )... Remember... this is a our hobby. Lets make it a happy one...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!

I have decided to collect the SP GU Legendary jerseys...

I want ebay Item number: 8741860647 from hotshot1717 aka magicman.

I would bid higher than the current price, but a fellow ozcard member is the high bidder :shock: :?

What to do?

I think bid what you want to bid,

The situation we don't want to see is people buying cards just to flip to other users (EG. me buying devin harris cards just cause I know Mavsman needs it)

I also think it's good "community' practice to keep an eye out for each other and when I've come across a card that I think someone on here might be interested in I normally PM them with the link (9/10 they've probably already seen it, but hey no harm)

Back
Top Bottom