Not a fan of Panini - Is it just me?

I agree 100% with midnight show. And my first pack was UD 93-94 too and I still love that base design. My first pack was series 2 hobby and yes in my first lot of 3 packs I got a Mr June card (although when I pulled it, I thought hey that is nice, but maybe these are common) not realising it was a 1 a box pull.
That collectors Choice was 94-95 too. Good ole MJ baseball card. dems were da days.

Yep and as ive stated before 2 of the biggest names in the hobby arnt signing for them.....one can only get so much excitment out of a kobe auto...:(

Yup..... haven't been real impressed with them so far. They have some "just ok" stuff produced so far.

Can't say they have really done anything to improve the hobby or anything real innovative yet..... only thing they have brought back is cheaper packs to help get more kids back into the hobby.

We're probably seeing more stickers than we were with UD.... they have the odd on-card set, but I'm not impressed with the overall amount of stickers they are using.

Obviously they haven't bought back any 90's style inserts either.... but UD/Topps weren't doing that either, so can't really take much from them there.

Hope we see something better from them soon!

i bought a box of panini regular hobby today, nice cheap box and if you get the idea of autos and game used out of your thinking it was great to get a box similar to the old nba hoops from the 90's. 300 card base set with some inserts thrown in, it was the first box in a long time that really took me back to 1994, just for the fun of collecting and not having to hope for too much.

but it's also great to get boxes like exquisite purely for the memorabilia, autos etc.

I love UD. The stuff panini is producing is higher quality and prettiness than i expected but it correlates perfectly with the NFL releases at each tier of product due to their buying out of Donruss in the US. I collect all spots, NHL is my favourite at the moment. Is it due to UD being the sole hobby licensee? Perhaps that's a part of it. But when you compare UD NHL to Panini NBA, there is no comparison. At each price point UD look prettier and have a deeper range of Big Name signers past and present (and future)

to those saying that NBA is responsible for Upper deck being out the hobby - I'm sorry, but that is wrong. Upper Deck and Topps both decided not to renew their licenses with the NBA, leaving Stern with no real choice as Panini was originally looking to be the third wheel in the NBA market. So it wasn't Stern shafting UD and Topps it was UD and topps shafting the NBA. Not only did Topps and UD not renew their NBA properties contracts they didn't renew their NBAPA contracts which means that after sept. 30 2009 they cannot produce cards of players currently under contract to any NBA team - at least until the contracts come of renogotiation in 2013.

Yeah I'd be really happy with a Kobe auto too as I'm collecting Kobe's, would be a great PC addition but agree with hsv on this also. There needs to be more variety on all fronts. Signed players, designs, etc. It all needs to change from how it currently is.

I'll be happy with a Kobe auto!!!! I'm really after one!!

anyone changed their mind since posting? timeless treasures will be out soon and there has been some awesome patches on the certified and limited stuff

Back
Top Bottom