My First Mailday - 7 Boxes

sktwentythree

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Simon
eBay User
simon_kent_23
Hey all. Leading on from my new member intro below;

http://www.ozcardtrader.com.au/forum/new-member-intros/96528-nba-collector-back-after-15-years.html

I went ahead and bought like crazy on Ebay to get back into the game. I didn't know what was good and bad really, so I bought some cheap, some middle range and then one decently expensive box. 7 boxes in total costing me around $700 DLVD.

The results are below. I don't have a scanner or a photobucket account yet, so bare with me while I learn. If anyone wants picks I'll take some with my mobile.

What I've learnt from buying all of these boxes is that cheap boxes just don't do it for me. Panini for me so far has been junky and I can't wait for the day Upper Deck gets NBA rights again, as everything I've bought so far of UD I've liked the most. Anyway, below are the results of the boxes and hits I got.

Panini 10-11 Prestige

Bonus Shots
Larry Johnson #499
Andray Blatche #249
Derrick Caracter #499
Gani Lawal #499
Lance Stephenson #99 Auto
David Lee #499
Chris Kaman #499
Carmelo Anthony #249
Glen Davis #499

Draft NY 10
Larry Sanders #499

Hardcourt Heroes
Deron Williams #249 Patch

Prestigious Picks
Lazar Hayward #499 Patch
Luke Babbitt #499 Patch
Damion Jones #499

Prestigious Pros
Joakim Noah #10 (my lowest numbered card so far, but a bit weird it's so low seeing there's no auto or patch)

Draft Picks Rights
Dominique Jones #999

___

Upper Deck 08-09 NBA SP

SP Limited Patch
Robin Lopez

___

Upper Deck 08-09 MVP

Vince Carter Gold # 100

Game Night Souvenirs
Donyell Marshall

___

Panini 10/11 Threads

David West #399 Patch
Kirk Hinrich Diecut Jersey
Richard Jefferson Diecut Jersey
Elliot Williams Diecut Jersey
Chris Anderson Diecut Jersey

___

Panini 09/10 Elite

Clutch Performers
Chris Paul

Arceologists
Troy Murphy

Passing The Torch
David Thompson/Vince Carter

Prime Targets
Tony Parker

Teamwork
Al Thornton/Eric Gordon

___

Panini 09/10 Certified

Certified Potential
Sam Young #599 Patch
DeJuan Blair #100
Ryan Anderson #500

___

Panini 09/10 Studio

Proof
O.J. Mayo #49

___

Upper Deck 09-10 SP Game Used

Rookies
Tyler Hansbrough #399

Significance Autos
Darnell Jackson
Joey Dorsey
Ryan Anderson

Multi Marks Dual Autos
Hilton Armstrong/Tyson Chandler

Retro Rookie Exclusive Autos
Brad Daugherty #300

Signature Fabrics Autos
Larry Bird (tried looking for this online & couldn't find anything on it. Pretty happy to pull a legend's auto though on my first day back in the game)

3 Star Swatches
Aaron Gray/Robin Lopez/Thadeus Young #125
Kevin Garnett/Paul Pierce/Ray Allen #299

Fabric Foursomes
Andres Nocioni/Beno Udrih/Spencer Hawes/Jason Thompson #50
Acies Law IV/Mike Bibby/Marvin Williams/Joe Johnson #199

Combo Materials
Monta Ellis/Luke Ridnour #155
Josh Howard/Shawn Marion #499
Deron Williams/Allen Iverson #499
Kobe Bryant/Michael Jordan #499 (my current fav with my all time fav player. Not an auto or anything, but I was happy all the same seeing I haven't owned GU cards before)
Jermaine O'Neal/Lamar Odom #499

Triple Patch
Jordan Farmar/Shannon Brown/Trevor Ariza #60

Four On Four Fabrics
Kobe Bryant/Peja Stojakovic/Devean George/Shaquille O'Neal/Jason Kidd/Kenyon Martin/Richard Jefferson/Jason Collins #65

6 Star Swatches
Charlie Villanueva/Channing Frye/Ike Diogu/Andrew Bynum/Sean May/Rashad McCants #65

19042011305.JPG

Wow yeah, that sounds like fun to open but you gotta get the hobby stuff, 700 seems a bit expensive IMO.
Sick Larry Bird though! Price not listed on Beckett but Drexler and Durant are bv80 so guess somewhere there

Wow... $700 on mostly junk, and nowhere even in the same stratosphere as being able to make your money back... you probably should have asked the advice of one of the many knowledgable members of this site on what to buy and for how much.

That being said, the Bird is a nice pull and I would be interested if it was available.

Nice hit on the Bird auto mate - I'll also stand in line if you want to move it! SP Game Used is one of the more popular products going around but like others have mentioned instead of some of the other boxes you busted you need to get the Hobby Boxes for the hits. Good fun busting that many packs anyway - welcome back into the hobby!

DW8 said:
All the panini stuff you got are blaster boxes. That's why you didn't get the best cards. Awesome SPGU box though

I thought the only thing to look out for was hobby vs retail. But I guess I should now add Blaster to the mix. So I guess stay away from anything saying blaster and stick to hobby boxes only?

GarnettFan4Life said:
Wow yeah, that sounds like fun to open but you gotta get the hobby stuff, 700 seems a bit expensive IMO. Sick Larry Bird though! Price not listed on Beckett but Drexler and Durant are bv80 so guess somewhere there

It certainly took a while time wise to open them all, which at least provided some fun. $700 added up to be a lot. Doesn't seem much when I'm clicking on BIN on cheap stuff over and over, but by the time postage was added, I spent a lot out of nowhere.

I looked for google info on the Larry, but as the card is not numbered, it makes things a bit harder, as I have no idea how many there would be.

hairyangryfella said:
Wow... $700 on mostly junk, and nowhere even in the same stratosphere as being able to make your money back... you probably should have asked the advice of one of the many knowledgable members of this site on what to buy and for how much.

I know. Nobody regrets it more now than me. I thought I researched enough, but obviously I didn't. I did read these forums for hours on end before buying. I was trying to look for cheap boxes that had a chance of hitting at least one thing in it that would be worth at least the cost of the box, but from what I've researched, I'm still not "in the know" on what boxes to buy that are like that. I certainly can't risk $1000-2000+ on boxes like Equisite with just a few cards in them.

The bird is below. Saddened that it isn't numbered. It has some weird number like "4KCHE" on the back. Have no idea what that means. Was looking for numbering like on all the other cards like #99 etc.

I certainly wouldn't be dishonest and sell/trade it to anyone here, as it has two weird lines on the back of it straight out of the packet. It's like the printer forgot what ink was and left two white streaks. It's not indented scratches as such. It's like two white lines.

I've read the set is notorious for damaged cards. From what I tried to read on the net, there's no way to get replacements from Upper Deck on these. Am I wrong and is there an email address or FAQ page that I can read in regard to sending it back to them?

Thanks again everyone for the help.

25042011309.jpg

I know. Nobody regrets it more now than me. I thought I researched enough, but obviously I didn't. I did read these forums for hours on end before buying. I was trying to look for cheap boxes that had a chance of hitting at least one thing in it that would be worth at least the cost of the box, but from what I've researched, I'm still not "in the know" on what boxes to buy that are like that. I certainly can't risk $1000-2000+ on boxes like Equisite with just a few cards in them.

The bird is below. Saddened that it isn't numbered. It has some weird number like "4KCHE" on the back. Have no idea what that means. Was looking for numbering like on all the other cards like #99 etc.

I certainly wouldn't be dishonest and sell/trade it to anyone here, as it has two weird lines on the back of it straight out of the packet. It's like the printer forgot what ink was and left two white streaks. It's not indented scratches as such. It's like two white lines.

I've read the set is notorious for damaged cards. From what I tried to read on the net, there's no way to get replacements from Upper Deck on these. Am I wrong and is there an email address or FAQ page that I can read in regard to sending it back to them?

Thanks again everyone for the help.

That set isn't serial numbered, the number on the back is either just the set number, or the weird UD collecting code thing they have on some or most of their cards.
I still don't know how you spent $700 - blasters are generally $20 boxes, same with MVP Retail. SPGU would have been the only pricey one.
I think the lines you're talking about are damage lines from the print run - I have two that are damaged on the back and I have gotten in touch with UD and have to send them (with proof of delivery - yay, expensive) to get them replaced.
Try - [email protected]
and you get back:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your replacement request. In order to set up a case for you we will need the following…

Full name

Address

Phone Number

Card Product/Year

Card Number(s)

What’s Damaged or Missing

We will then create a case for you to send the card to us for replacement.

Any package with the case number not clearly marked will be returned to the customer unopened.

Thank you,

Customer Care

The Upper Deck Company

Cool Larry!

My advice would be if you want to buy a few boxes at once, maybe go to dacardworld.com or another similar - postage should be a lot cheaper, rather than getting stung postage on each box individually when you get them off ebay.

welcome back to the hobby mate!

First Bird I have seen from that set. Not happy about the back lines! If you're not gonna keep it work out the cost/benefits of trying to replace it before selling vs maybe selling to someone at a reduced price if they don't mind the backing ink lines.

First Bird I have seen from that set. Not happy about the back lines! If you're not gonna keep it work out the cost/benefits of trying to replace it before selling vs maybe selling to someone at a reduced price if they don't mind the backing ink lines.

I've attached the picture of the back below so people know what I'm on about. Two bad lines not printed properly on the left (not indented though; it's flat), clean enough through the middle and then two marks on the very edge of the right side of the card continuing on from the same exact lines on the left.

I've read articles about the pro's and cons of sending in cards, but they've been from people in the states. Has anyone here sent cards back to UD that can share their story? Total costs of sending them and time it took for something to return? Perhaps even from the same 09-10 SP GU set?

I don't mind the thought of sending it back, as neither I or other collector's would surely want a damaged card like that to keep? I've not seen cards like that listed at all on ebay, so surely if I wouldn't like the lines, nobody else will.

I've googled signature fabrics from that year and found a checklist, but I can't find references to how many cards there are of any player, from lesser names up to legends. I don't get how they serial number everything else in the set, but not this particular insert. Surely there not 1/1.

26042011309.JPG

If you cannot get it replaced i'll still happily take it damage and all. My Celtics collection is missing a Bird and the front still looks purdy. Looks like production line damage.

I've attached the picture of the back below so people know what I'm on about. Two bad lines not printed properly on the left (not indented though; it's flat), clean enough through the middle and then two marks on the very edge of the right side of the card continuing on from the same exact lines on the left.

I've read articles about the pro's and cons of sending in cards, but they've been from people in the states. Has anyone here sent cards back to UD that can share their story? Total costs of sending them and time it took for something to return? Perhaps even from the same 09-10 SP GU set?

I don't mind the thought of sending it back, as neither I or other collector's would surely want a damaged card like that to keep? I've not seen cards like that listed at all on ebay, so surely if I wouldn't like the lines, nobody else will.

I've googled signature fabrics from that year and found a checklist, but I can't find references to how many cards there are of any player, from lesser names up to legends. I don't get how they serial number everything else in the set, but not this particular insert. Surely there not 1/1.

Ive sent in a DRose Auto from SP Game Used as well to get replaced by UD because it had a tone of chipping on it, it should be arriving any time soon so Ill let you know how it goes :D

But stories so far suggest that UD do send you some pretty nice stuff back

That is the exact same damage the two I pulled and got in touch with them about have. Pretty darn slack quality control. I'm tempted to send them in for replacements, but they tell you do make sure they're tracked, which costs me $25+ for two crappy cards.
As for the number of cards, nobody can tell you that. All we can say is that we haven't seen too many of that card so it could very well be a SP.

Back
Top Bottom