Low Balling

it all comes down to one thing, if you want a price for a card, then name it in your sales pitch, if you put "Offers" then be prepared for some ballin, its the name of the game folks, people may or may not like it but its the nature of the beast, and i think everyone on here needs to remember one thing, we get into collecting because its fun, not to get rich, if your trying to get rich. then your not the type of collector me and alot of other people want nothing to do with, don't ask me why but it piss's me off when people are about to bust a box but are already selling everything in it, to me thats not even a collector

it all comes down to one thing, if you want a price for a card, then name it in your sales pitch, if you put "Offers" then be prepared for some ballin, its the name of the game folks, people may or may not like it but its the nature of the beast, and i think everyone on here needs to remember one thing, we get into collecting because its fun, not to get rich, if your trying to get rich. then your not the type of collector me and alot of other people want nothing to do with, don't ask me why but it piss's me off when people are about to bust a box but are already selling everything in it, to me thats not even a collector

I believe the main issue with the ballin is that even when you list something below ebay prices that you still get low balled even more which is a bit of a slap in the face when you know it is already cheap. There is no need for it and anyone who says they don't check prices is blowing smoke. If they didn't check prices then they would tend to overpay most of the time but you don't see that happening too often ;)

I think people selling everything they get in a box is a bit different. It is like placing a bet or playing the lottery. If you are really lucky, you might hit an expensive card that can give you extra spending money for other things. They also might be hoping for a particular high end card that is generally out of their budget. I like to bust UD products in the hope of hitting a nice MJ for my PC. Unfortunately the odds are against you most of the time

I think the most important thing is to acknowledge that after more than 5 people have accepted and have themselves used the term 'ballin, it will no longer be acceptable to use the full name "low balling" when discussing the bargain hunters of Oz! :lol:

oh god we are getting our own slang lol, 6 months from now new members won't have a damm idea what half us are even sayjng lol

Here's my take (not saying I'm right or what not, just my opinion)

The issue I have with sales threads without prices is for low-mid end cards. I'm an NFL collector but I have bought a few cards from the BBall area on impulse because prices were listed and I bought them. If they had offers only I wouldn't have even bothered.... Not PC, can't be bothered sending a PM only to wait a day or so for a reply and by then I may have changed my mind or I don't even receive a reply at all. Why would anyone bother going back and forth unless they rally wanted it... If it is a PC player card that I want I am more than happy to pay full value if I have the funds...

Most sellers want full EBay value AT LEAST for their cards so unless it is for someones PC you probably wont find a buyer, and don't forget the size of the market when comparing Ebay to here (or even blowout for a lesser extent) do sellers really expect to get near Ebay value for EVERY card they list on a forum???? seriously??? The market here is tiny compared to Ebay.... Sellers are hurting themselves here on low-mid cards by not listing prices or "ono"..... You may or may not agree, this is just my feel.... I stopped looking at the NBA selling section a while back due to the fact that there is little I would pay what a PC collector would for a card even though I might have paid close to what the seller was asking if the price was listed.... I also love the "quicksales" or "need funds/paypal FAST" threads (mostly on blowout) where the cards listed are above Ebay..... If you put either of those terms in your thread title, don't cry about lowballers or not being able to sell anything, If Im clicking on them, Im expecting excellent prices to promote impulse buying so your cards move QUICK...

Just my take, but if your asking for "offers" and not listing prices,especially low-mid end stuff that's not in high demand be prepared for a lack of interest... Why would anyone pay above (or even at Ebay for the most part) on Cards they can easily pass on?

I know some sellers cant handle not getting the MAX amount possible which is why they field offers over listing a price, but is it worth not reaching the impulse buyer who likes that card at that price, at that time? It doesn't even have to be dirt cheap or a "low ball" price, just a fair price (a bit under EBay if you want to interest the impulse buyer) or even a bit over Ebay with "ono", at least the potential buyer can then quickly decide if they can offer something in that ballpark...

Again, unless it for a personal PC you honestly think people are going to pay over ebay? Most buyers can use the completed listing search tool you know and they know what a seller saves cutting out ebay so again, what do you expect?

I also don't get why sellers who loathe low ballers don't put a request to make offers via thread? The lowballers will be the only ones looking like idiots then...... I think for some sellers bitchin about lowballers has nothing to do with the offers at all.... It's about not being able to sell ALL your listed cards at the prices YOU want people to pay..... If selling on here, a card is only worth on here what someone is willing to pay on here.... Just because a card sells for $50 on ebay (.com mind you), that doesn't mean someone here is willing to pay that, no matter how much you want someone to..

Again, just my opinion, no right, no wrong... sellers and buyers can make their own decisions on the way they go about it but I do prefer Blowout as I can make a purchase decision in most cases immediately instead of wasting time going back and forth on "offers only" threads

I think there is also a problem when you have no pricing reference, say if a card hasn't been sold on eBay in a while and it might be low numbered and not priced in Beckett, I think then a lot of problems arise with people's different views on the value of a card.

Most Stoopid comment of the year.

None of said cards are over priced, they are valued at market price, low..... Oh sorry I mean 'ballin is offering lower then market value. (significantly)

The reason you can get money off a car is because they try to sell above market value with a commission attached.

The salesman either loses a bit of mark up, or eats into his own commission, which he can easily make up on another car.

Comparing the two is just Silly.

i would take this more seriously except that you wrote “stoopid”...

i mean, noone ever tries to make money off a card at all, ever. And what exactly are these “said cards”??

i was simply stating a line of thinking that everyone wants a bargain and that noone ever wants to pay market value. but hey, if you wanna waffle on about the plight of the car salesman than by all means go ahead...

i mean, noone ever tries to make money off a card at all, ever. And what exactly are these “said cards”??

i was simply stating a line of thinking that everyone wants a bargain and that noone ever wants to pay market value. but hey, if you wanna waffle on about the plight of the car salesman than by all means go ahead...

Man I don't even like waffles.

I often wondered how it would go down if you 2 clowns for involved in a discussion!

And yes! It went very much like I expected! :lol:

I don't believe for one second that you dont like waffles. Everyone likes waffles!!!

I often wondered how it would go down if you 2 clowns for involved in a discussion!

And yes! It went very much like I expected! :lol:

2 Matts dont make a right :p

Someone had to dumb it down to your level though Adam ;)

Ok, let's pause this thread and start selling some cards that I want :)

I have missed this heated discussion for a good 3-4 days, here's my opinion. I think a major contributing factor to low prices (or at least the expectation of) is a result of the recent emergence of those firesale threads. While I am a big fan of these because I get to reload my stock for trading, it is driving down the general expectations on prices within this forum. I think people are expecting to only pay $1 for GUs (up to unlisted star level) and maybe $2 for semi-stars autos. The competition has driven the prices down and so when the higher end items come on, the buyers are just expecting the same sort of bargain prices.

I always believe in listing a price whenever you sell, because it makes things move along quicker. But I have also tried asking for offers before, I either get no offers or some really low ones. I don't take offense to low-balling or selling at ridiculous prices because I believe that's part of trading. I will just laugh at the offers and prices and may respond to express my views, but if I see an unbreachable gap then I will just leave it at that.

In terms of people flipping, everybody loves a bargain!! I will always buy a cheap card in the hopes of not selling it for a higher price, but instead trading it for a PC card of a higher price. It is all part of my strategy to stock up my trade bucket and grow my PC. I think that is perfectly acceptable, but I don't like people buying for short term gain. I think the focus should be growing a collection not making money, because if you are in this to make money, you will have a hard time doing that!!

I have missed this heated discussion for a good 3-4 days, here's my opinion. I think a major contributing factor to low prices (or at least the expectation of) is a result of the recent emergence of those firesale threads. While I am a big fan of these because I get to reload my stock for trading, it is driving down the general expectations on prices within this forum. I think people are expecting to only pay $1 for GUs (up to unlisted star level) and maybe $2 for semi-stars autos. The competition has driven the prices down and so when the higher end items come on, the buyers are just expecting the same sort of bargain prices.

I always believe in listing a price whenever you sell, because it makes things move along quicker. But I have also tried asking for offers before, I either get no offers or some really low ones. I don't take offense to low-balling or selling at ridiculous prices because I believe that's part of trading. I will just laugh at the offers and prices and may respond to express my views, but if I see an unbreachable gap then I will just leave it at that.

In terms of people flipping, everybody loves a bargain!! I will always buy a cheap card in the hopes of not selling it for a higher price, but instead trading it for a PC card of a higher price. It is all part of my strategy to stock up my trade bucket and grow my PC. I think that is perfectly acceptable, but I don't like people buying for short term gain. I think the focus should be growing a collection not making money, because if you are in this to make money, you will have a hard time doing that!!
Welcome back Brian Lee :)

I would take this more seriously except that you wrote "noone"...

Back
Top Bottom