Israel Folau has switched to AFL and signed with GWS

Tricolour

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Brandon
Thats right, Israel Folau is expected to announce tomorrow that he has accepted a 3 year deal with Greater Western Sydney, reportedly worth $3 million.

Rugby league fans, especially Broncos fans must be disappointed, but it seems just another rugby player has realized which sport is better :p

Loved watching him play for the storm and will be very interesting to see him develop in the AFL.
Wouldn't be surprised if he wins mark of the year in his first few years :)

Great Win for GWS (and AFL), dont know hes worth all the $3 million but he will be the face of GWS and have a lot of people/kids interested in the new team, especially because hes from western sydney.

it isnt confirmed yet they offered him about $1million per season for 3 years

They obviously see potential in him though, Tadgh Kennelly and Jim Stynes swapped codes (not from rugby) and so has others and they have been very successful

It's all about marketing the game into NSW and QLD. It really makes little difference if Hunt and Folau manage to be better than average AFL players, it's all about getting NRL fans to watch AFL.

See ya Izzy don't let the door hit your ass on the way out :wave:

It's just a publicity stunt by the AFL to try and league get fans in Sydney to convert but I seriously doubt this is going to make league people watch AFL. People like League because they like the game and aren't going to switch just because of some player, especially one that probably isn't even that popular in Sydney. I won't be watching even if they signed my favourite player. Sure he is a good league player but he will be easily replaced, just like all the other people that chased the dollars elsewhere and were forgotten about by the start of the next season.

The whole things reeks of desperation, especially when you consider Folau has never even played the game before, but it is a good compliment to Rugby League that everyone want our talent :)

It's just a publicity stunt by the AFL to try and league get fans in Sydney to convert but I seriously doubt this is going to make league people watch AFL. I won't be watching even if they signed my favourite player. People like League because they like the game and aren't going to switch just because of some player, especially one that probably isn't even that popular in Sydney. Sure he is a good league player but he will be easily replaced, just like all the other people that chased the dollars elsewhere and were forgotten about by the start of the next season.

The whole things reeks of desperation, especially when you consider Folau has never even played the game before, but it is a good compliment to Rugby League that everyone want our talent :)

funny, when a player wants to switch from NRL to AFL suddenly he's not that good of a player :p. and how is all their players leaving the game a compliment to NRL? if the game was so great no-one would switch codes in the first place. and if you think all the afl players are money grabbers then you only need to look at the gold coast and all the money they have to get players up there. second and third year players are getting offers 3 times their pay packets now and not many are leaving the clubs that started their careers.

It's just a publicity stunt by the AFL to try and league get fans in Sydney to convert but I seriously doubt this is going to make league people watch AFL. People like League because they like the game and aren't going to switch just because of some player, especially one that probably isn't even that popular in Sydney. I won't be watching even if they signed my favourite player. Sure he is a good league player but he will be easily replaced, just like all the other people that chased the dollars elsewhere and were forgotten about by the start of the next season.

Its not about getting them to watch the game, its just about lifting the profile of the AFL in Western Sydney and QLD. Its probably on the back page of all the papers in Melb, Syd and QLD. Hence that alone is worth the 3 mil. There is probably an opt out clause that lets them play rugby internationally if things don't work out anyway. Brilliant PR move by the AFL.

Kenny Sutcliffe....asking all the tough questions.

Seriously it will be embarrassing for the AFL if someone can come from league without playing a game and be a success.

Seriously it will be embarrassing for the AFL if someone can come from league without playing a game and be a success.

Maybe over time he will be a success, but not straight away, it's yet to be proven if he can even kick the ball (most crucial skill in the AFL), looks like he can take a grab though.

Hats off to the AFL, for having a game that can generate enough cash, to start up 2 sides in NRL territory, and throw millions at unproven players. :D

hes a schoolboy afl champion mate

Back
Top Bottom