theflyinggerco

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Matthew
eBay User
theflyinggerco
COMC User
Gerco
After a break from collecting, I've made a comeback and I've decided to collect the NBA's original superstar, Minneapolis Lakers centre George Mikan.

Anyways, here's my first card of his, fresh from the post office...

2009-2010 Panini Timeless Treasures 'Souvenir Cuts' Cut Auto #ed 12/25
Mikan1.jpg

Oddly, he's listed as a forward on the front of the card and a centre on the back.

The discoloring on the cut auto is pre-existing and isn't too bad in person (and honestly to be expected on a cut auto that could be up to 60 years old).

Also, while it doesn't show up on the scan, the cut auto is on a glossy photo-like substance, which means it shines slightly in the right light.

The original big man! Game changing player - fantastic auto!

Thanks OutlawNinja, KingJack and liamszaraz, it certainly is an impressive auto in person, and I don't think the scans do it justice (scans rarely do).

And Skip20, if anyone's dominance ever changed the laws of the NBA more I'd be surprised. Maybe Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, or Lew Alcindor as he was back then, and the no dunking rule in the NCAA between 1967 and 1976, but that's since been reversed.

Yeah the cut is from a signed photo/magazine. Very nice, I have a personal mini-Mikan PC consisting of 3 cards and it's always good to have an auto of the first star of the game

Yeah the cut is from a signed photo/magazine. Very nice, I have a personal mini-Mikan PC consisting of 3 cards and it's always good to have an auto of the first star of the game

I'm very happy to have a auto of the big guy, and having a quick look, I'd say a photo rather than a magazine just due to the look of it (again the scans don't convey that and I couldn't guess prior to having it in hand).

I've seen a few different cut autos of his from what look to be photos/magazines as well as cheques and other miscellaneous pieces of paper.

great player to collect, prob the first true dominant big man the game actually saw - i love collectors who have pc of legends

awesome sig

Its a great looking card and from what I understand, Panini bought the remaining stock of signed photos from a private signing Mikan did. A lot of his cut autos all have the same background from the photo on them which tends to confirm this.

Either way,. its a great card!

Cheers
Matt

Its a great looking card and from what I understand, Panini bought the remaining stock of signed photos from a private signing Mikan did. A lot of his cut autos all have the same background from the photo on them which tends to confirm this.

Either way,. its a great card!

Cheers
Matt

i was about to mention something about that, i have the same card from the same set and the background of my cut is identical, even with what appears to be a break down the left hand side, thanks for the info!

Nice start to the collection! PM me if you want to add to the Mikan auto collection!

Back
Top Bottom