I have been robbed !!!

Really sorry to hear this Tezza, i'm always cautious of these skimming machines when ever im using atms im not familiar with and i always try to cary just a little cash incase i need it and im stuck somewhere.

Hope the bank are held resposible and you can get your cash back.

That sucks a$$ mate! Must be a terrible feeling! Just believe in karma mate and hopefully it all works out for you :thumbsup:

The headline story on Ninemsn.com.au at the moment.....

Skimmers steal $2m from Maccas customers
19:03 AEST Wed Oct 14 2009

WA police are investigating a credit card skimming scam at McDonald's outlets in Perth.

More than $2.5 million has been stolen from 3,500 bank accounts in a credit card skimming scam at McDonald's outlets in Perth, WA police say.

Major fraud squad detective senior sergeant Don Heise said inquiries by police had confirmed EFTPOS devices had been compromised.

Card information and PIN details from debit and visa cards had been obtained in the fraud, Det Heise said.

"Police are continuing to work closely with numerous financial institutions and McDonald's, with McDonald's being the only EFTPOS sale devices affected at this time," he said.

Det Heise said more than $2.5 million had been stolen from at least 3,500 cards.

"Information supports that thousands of customers' cards are at risk," Det Hiese said.

The alleged scam started on October 5, with bank customers reporting their accounts had been drained by overseas withdrawals and payments they had not made.

Police have urged people to regularly change their pin number, check their bank statements and report any questionable transactions to their bank or financial institution.

Police say they cannot reveal the nature of the skimming devices being used in the scam due to operational concerns.

The number of McDonald's stores targeted and their location have also not been released.

Always hide your pin number. If you are using a credit card and they don't accept PIN/CHIP payments, walk away. Internet banking is safe as long as you are not a moron, using eftpos is safe as long as you hide your pin. In Sydney, most if not all places i've tried to use a CC now have the insert feature rather than swipe.

Caveat Emptor

All you can do is change your pin before you get done because the machines being used are also getting your pin at the same time as getting your details :(

UPDATE is that my card got cancelled and another being issued, Money i had in this account will be paid back I have been told and even though these people cleared out my overdraft also, The bank told me that any money going into my account from the day I called will not be effected by the overdraft money taken ! only problem is that i used the overdraft from time to time but can't use it atm :(

Man i hope they catch these people !

*** I HAVE NEVER USED MY CARD AT MACCA'S *** will double check but can't remember ever doing this !

Keep us updated with it buddy. How long will they take to reimburse your payments?
Its easy enough to look on the latest statements to see if you've bought from Maccas recently. I'm sure it's not exclusively at these outlets. Couple of vids explaining one of the methods to ATM skimming:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zq1oIq87pY"]YouTube - The Real Hustle - ATM Scam[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p6Ff7DcnBc"]YouTube - ATM Scam Video[/ame]

They will get your PIN by a well placed video camera. The technology does not allow the skimming device to get your PIN.

From my experience, you will get your money reimbursed. Only catch it will take some time, this happened to a non-vigilant family member and it took 4 months.

Well the update is this...... Nothing really I can do about it :(

:mad: theifs take my money and overdraft on my account. I lose the overdraft and wont know anything about my lost money for some time yet.... they must work from the biggest accounts down :(

Even got hit with an overdraw on my account so will also have to see what happens there !?

Such a pain and hassel to deal with :(

Back
Top Bottom