Help please guys...Survey time.

1) I'd say 86 Fleer

2)It's vintage when its lost it card smell. Bust open a 05 packet and compare the cards with a older card. The older card will have lost it's card smell while the new cards will smell beautiful? Confusing? I must be high....

3)I think the words "vintage" and "modern" are enough. Most people when they hear the word vintage will refer to 88 fleer and earlier while modern will be the 90's and onward.

4)I'd say yes.

1. When do you consider that vintage era ends? eg 81 topps, 86 fleer, 88 fleer
If you go by how they classify cars anything over 25 years old should be called vintage. Although I thing this needs revising.

2.What makes a card vintage??
Rarety, Quality.

3.Should there be a more terms rather than vintage and modern? ie classic etc like there is in the card industry.
Yes, cos some cards like cars are a classic but not a vintage.

4.Does your age and the age of the card influence your answers on the above? ie if the card is older than you.
Na. Im nearly 20 that would make me vintage, again I think it needs to be revised.

Some good answers. Seems everyone here considers 86 -88 the cutoff point. Even though 81 topps is technically the start of the modern era in cards. I guess thats because the start of the 80's was the begining of the modern era with the game and in the 80's it became huge firstly with Bird/Magic then Jordan etc.

That shouldn't effect the card hobby though in my opinion.

What I will also foucus on is the technology behind the making of the cards. That seperates some from others even though they are all considered vintage.

Surprised no one has mentioned that after what 88 fleer there was no gum in packs???

Is that right??

I can't remember off the top of my head. :?

Also how wrappers replaced wax packs etc. Anyways it will all be in the article and hopefully they pick it up. If all goes well it could be ongoing. Fingers crossed.

Anyone else...

Bumpity bump bump!

Yes the gum.....I think it may have been 88? Anyway I suggested in a fun sort of way in point 3 that maybe when the gum dissapeared that the cards could no longer be considered vintage.......

As another fun sort of side note......we have had vintage cards/packs/boxes graded....im suprised someone hasn't submitted gum for grading? :roll:

Cheers :D
Matt

Back
Top Bottom