Grant Hill is headed to ....

I'd like to see Hill stay with Orlando.

He's a great leader and I think Rashard Lewis + JJ Redick + Dwight Howard have a good chance to be a very good team.

Lots of great young guys on that squad as well, Carlos Arroyo anyone, and I think Travis Diener.

Grant Hill leaving Orlando Magic for Suns

Brian Schmitz
Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted July 5 2007

Grant Hill has decided to sign with the Phoenix Suns to hopefully hitch a ride to an NBA title, leaving the Orlando Magic after seven injury-racked, mostly unfulfilled seasons.

Hill has agreed to a two-year contract with the Suns for the biennial veteran's exception, paying him $1.8 million the first year and a player option of $1.9 million for the second year.

Hill said he felt it was time for him to leave -- and for the Magic to move on as well.

"I think it is for both sides," Hill said.

Hill, whose seven-year, $93 million contract with the Magic expired after the past season, apparently was eyeing the Suns from the start of the NBA free-agency signing period.

"I just thought it was a good fit," Hill told theSentinel. "I took a look at a lot of teams, and the Suns were just at that next level. The Suns, it just seemed like they wanted me.

"I like their style of play, and they have a real shot at winning a championship. It was just very appealing. It was a hard, hard decision after you've been here for a long time. My teamates, the fans. . . .the relationships you've built. It's hard. It's bittersweet."

It had been reported that Hill had spoken with the Miami Heat and the Detroit Pistons, whom he played with the first six seasons of his career.

A 6 foot-8 seven-time all-star, Hill averaged 14.4 points per game last season with the Magic. He played in 65 games -- the most since playing 67 in the 2004-05 season.

Hill, who arrived in a sign-and-trade in the summer of 2000 to Orlando from Detroit, was expected to team with fellow free-agent star Tracy McGrady to return the Magic to post-Shaq prominence. But he underwent five surgeries on his left ankle and another surgery to repair a hernia, and, in all, played in just 202 regular-season games.

OH WOW COULDNT SEE THAT COMING :)

chadjaja® i'd appreciate it if you didn't follow me around and post in all of my threads with your snide remarks ;)

Bring on the Hill Suns Jerseys! They should have photos etc on the 11th with him holding one when they "officially" sign him.

The Magic must not have been too concerned about losing him.

Too bad to see him go.. now it's time ARiza and JJ get more minutes..

I think Grant Hill should go to Spurs.. there's no player that needs to double team, so he can't really get open shots.. plus, suns play pretty fast speed..

unless phoenix shakes their roaster big time, i don't think they can do to finals.. however, they are always championship contenders..

I think its a pretty low move, as Chad has said previously, he could have "repaid" the magic franchise for all the games he missed while sitting on that massive contract, he should have resigned with them for the Vet Minimum

Too bad to see him go.. now it's time ARiza and JJ get more minutes..

I think Grant Hill should go to Spurs.. there's no player that needs to double team, so he can't really get open shots.. plus, suns play pretty fast speed..

unless phoenix shakes their roaster big time, i don't think they can do to finals.. however, they are always championship contenders..

i'd love to see JJ get some serious burn! the kid can playy!! :woot:

I think its a pretty low move, as Chad has said previously, he could have "repaid" the magic franchise for all the games he missed while sitting on that massive contract, he should have resigned with them for the Vet Minimum

thats my sort of feeling too. I guess at the end of the day he wants a ring before he retires.

i'd love to see JJ get some serious burn! the kid can playy!! :woot:

Yes.. hoping JJ could fire his 3pts more than last year...

he can play, but he's just infamous for getting low scores with big games.. but i am sure he's very confident by now..... that was just in his college year..

Well, Orlando was pretty unfortunate with big name players.. but i don't blame him, it's his choice. he's not obligated to stay..

it hurts a bit to see him go.. he's such a great guy and inspirations to the team.. but without him, there are some lights in the tunnel for young players to develop themselves and get more play time.. Stan Van Gundy and Patrick Ewing could boost alot of energy i hope...

it's just not enough to see him played 1/3 of the possible game in Orlando and he just gets back to normal and now he left.. Phoenix is a massive team and championship contenders, but i don't think without moving Amare, they can win championship... Amare is young and foul troubled too much even though his once-scary injury is no longer a threat to himself... with Nash's a only a coupe of years younger than Grant Hill.. they better get one championship in 2 years.. orelse, it's going to be rebuilding time again for Suns... which they did past 5-6 yrs...

I hope Grant Hill wins something there..

It'll be interesting to see how he goes with D'Antoni's small rotation. But here's hoping he stays healthy and the Suns get up next season.

I hope Grant Hill wins something there..

I hope he gets to the second round of the palyoffs :)

I'm pretty sure that he will fit just fine in the Suns rotation. I will be surprise if he doesn't get a starting role... I once thought that he should just retire but after seeing him play in the playoffs, I gave him more respect for coming back like that... I wish him Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

You're right, it looks like he should get the starting spot.

Hill was attracted to the chance to win a championship, because he turns 35 in October and has never been past the playoffs' first round. He was lured by a system that fits his versatile skills and de-emphasizes practice labor, a major point for a man who has undergone five ankle surgeries since 2000. Hill's desire to maintain a significant role was met when Phoenix told him he could start alongside Bell, Marion, Steve Nash and Amaré Stoudemire.

After averaging 30.9 minutes last year, Phoenix expects Hill to play 25 to 30 minutes. His playmaking provides more options because the Suns can run an offense through him as a "point forward" and they can play pick-and-roll with him because of his strong decision-making and reliable midrange shot.

You're right, it looks like he should get the starting spot.

Looks like not a bad move for Grant then.

The lineup will look a little something like this then. Interesting to see that Marion will go back to the 4 spot, and most probably be very productive there, while Amare will hold down the 5 spot once again.

Leandro Barbosa to come off the bench again? If that's the case I can't see a bright future for him, he needs to get some major starting game time soon..

Back
Top Bottom