"Game Used" when it comes to rookies

Alistair

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Alistair
Does anyone else fail to see the appeal of memorabilia cards when it comes to rookie players? Sure, the colourful Andrew Luck and RGIII patches look amazing, but why are people paying such a premium for jersey cards that haven't been worn by rookie players in actual games?

I'm sceptical at best when it comes to most "game worn" memorabilia, but I'd rather wait until their second or third year in the league when these cards actually contain some gear that was worn in a game and not at a draft or signing event.

In the NFL they have a day where they get the players to wear lots of jerseys, throw lots of footballs and pose for lots of pictures in their new gear.

At least you are guaranteed that the gear has been worn by the players in the rookie event, especially with quite a bit of doubt around game used items.

It's the same for the NBA, panini do he photoshoot to get all the material for first year cards.

Seems to me that too much emphasis is placed on Rookies in general. The majority of them will play very few games in their rookie year and most will have very little impact.

The guns - RG3, Luck, Tannehill, Jenkins etc, are the exception, but I reckon too much card space, and I'm talking high-end, is taken up by these guys. Sure, some sets could concentrate on the Rookies but unfortunately just about every set does atm.

I'd much rather see more of the second year standouts, the seasoned pro's and the big stat players than these hit and miss Rookies. This way we would also be guaranteed game worn jersey cards.

I agree about the Rookie jersey cards. I hate the fact at how much these jersey cards are flooding the market. I guess with Rookies it is all about the buzz. These are the new guys in the league and their potential is pretty much at an all time high.

Keep an eye out for 2012 Limited. They will have Gameday jerseys stating what date and game they were from which I think will be a very cool idea (wish this was done more often).

tbh, I'd rather a rookie patch as at least I know pretty much (or very confident in) the extent it was "used", but at least it was "used".... The vet patches are dodgy at best, especially after finding out how prevalent the use of fake jersey's may be in veteran player cards... I also buy anything upper deck with full awareness that the vet jerseys are a good chance to be fake..... This is upper deck ya know

Most of the rookie jerseys that i have state 'Event Worn' on the back, so it is delineated somewhat.
But when you can get a lot of them for a buck or two off ebay, and some rookies in sets under your team name
miss the cut after the preseason, meaning theyve never really represented your team at all is frustrating..

Back
Top Bottom