food for thought..

brendo

I like turtles
Real Name
Brendan
Hey everyone, feel free to lay into me for thinking too deep but ive been doing a little maths on nrl cards, my main target was the league leader gold and blacks and what the bigger picture is as a whole (can be done for any release)

Ok heres my thing, a llb is well and fine to be 1/50 but lets multiply that by 16.. theres 800 of these cards around yet people are paying 300+ for these... thats roughly $250,000 for the lot

Then the golds even at $60 x the 2400 made is $144,000..

Compare to a 2003 jersey card, 900 made, $150ish at $135,000, anybody see what im talking about?

And does anybody that own these expect any return on these later on because i cant see it, bad business in my books, i know its mainly hype driving these cards but i see seasoned vets buying these at will, sure its for a collection but the bigger picture should be priority?

Thoughts? :)

No I can't really see your point. I don't understand the cumulative value thing as relevant as no-one will ever collect all 800 LLB's ever made. But I do think most of these cards will hold their value

therse will come down eventually its the same with AFL, NBA etc the hype and people wanting these cards pushes the rpices through the roof when the peice of carboard isnt worth that much. at the end of the day its what people are willing to pay..

Ive got Basketball 1/1 cant be Valued, bought them for what I was willing to pay.. eventually the price of the gold, llb will drop but if u want to chas e amaster set it will be harder to do as they will go into a cupboard and not seen for a long time..

keep in mind this is all my opinion and what ive seen from here, plenty other card sites, flee-bay etc..

Also, the $300+ figures you are referencing is not the average selling price. The Gallen, Hindmarsh and Hornby are certainly pushing past those marks but a lot of the others are settling for around the $200 mark. The XL Jersey would be difficult to put a set together now (9 years after the release)...think of the Blacks in 9 years. Closest thing as far as numbers and putting a set together is the 15 '04 Captain Signatures /40.

Id also like to pitch in a League Leader value point that is related to this topic. The League Leader Black cards are limited to 50, the same as the 2009 Captains Signature. If the 2009 Cam Smith is valued $800 - $1000, then would an IP signed Cam Smith League Leader also be worth that much? After all, there can only be a maximum of 50 possible signed LL's... so in a way they would be RARER than a 2009 Captains Sig, because 50 of those are guaranteed signed.....

I'm one gold short of having 2 complete Gold Sets.

I have 12 of the Blacks plus 3 doubles.

Didn't have any intention of going for a set but only just realised how close i was just now when i went to count them

These anomalies exist. They can't always be explained.

I can buy a 2011 strike Ben Barba TP/300 for less than a 2011 Champions Daniel Mortimer Star Sig/600. That's bonkers.

I firmly believe that long term values will always come back to the size of production. At only 50 the BLL's seem pretty decent value.

Ive wondered too how a the recent LLB's compare in value as previous 40 or 50 card runs. Would the fact previous years runs are signed? How else can these anomilies exist? Could the Hindmarsh/Hornby LLB's be potentially be up around $600-$700+ in 4 years?

At the end of the day, collectors collect and short printed inserts will be highly sought after.

Select just released AFL Future Force. A set comprising of u18 players from the NAB Championships. These kids signed a Siganture card /150 and also /30. A lot of these kids will never make it in the AFL...they haven't even been drafted yet. I've seen the /30 Signatures going between $200-$800. It seems the short print run is setting the price automatically at $200...with added value going to the higher prospects + potential team they'll end up on. Limited print runs sell!!

Would people pay more for a Cameron Smith 2009 Captains sig #'ed to 50, or a 2012 Dynasty Cameron Smith League Leader Black #'ed to 50, but personally signed?

Captain Sig all day. The problem with ip autos is that it's not been certified by Grant Copley......yeah that's right. Being funny and serious at the same time!:confused:

Id also like to pitch in a League Leader value point that is related to this topic. The League Leader Black cards are limited to 50, the same as the 2009 Captains Signature. If the 2009 Cam Smith is valued $800 - $1000, then would an IP signed Cam Smith League Leader also be worth that much? After all, there can only be a maximum of 50 possible signed LL's... so in a way they would be RARER than a 2009 Captains Sig, because 50 of those are guaranteed signed.....
All select redemptions are also numbered as to be a limited supply. This is done to not only verify the cards but so of course none can be duplicated. Which in turn are collectible and will be worth more money.

Hey everyone, feel free to lay into me for thinking too deep but ive been doing a little maths on nrl cards, my main target was the league leader gold and blacks and what the bigger picture is as a whole (can be done for any release)

Ok heres my thing, a llb is well and fine to be 1/50 but lets multiply that by 16.. theres 800 of these cards around yet people are paying 300+ for these... thats roughly $250,000 for the lot

Then the golds even at $60 x the 2400 made is $144,000..

Compare to a 2003 jersey card, 900 made, $150ish at $135,000, anybody see what im talking about?

And does anybody that own these expect any return on these later on because i cant see it, bad business in my books, i know its mainly hype driving these cards but i see seasoned vets buying these at will, sure its for a collection but the bigger picture should be priority?

Thoughts? :)
No you are looking into to much they a worth what they are worth

My opinion is that I collect for fun and each to their own. I don't like the league leader cards but can see why some do. I prefer the old scanlens cards as I'm getting old.
The cards I collect these days are primarily Bulldogs inserts and signatures but don't go paying overs.
I've also branched out to non sport as I've got all scanlens sets back to 1975. Unfortunately anything older is just out of my price range.

Unless you are getting a Black signed for your PC then no way. You have just ruined the card and i would expect that the value would drop.

Back
Top Bottom