First COMC/SMC mail of 2024

GarnettFan4Life

Administrator
Real Name
Matt
COMC User
GarnettFan4Life
Adding more tomorrow, need to get some sleep!

For now, here's the fav pickups in the lot I got today

Gold/10

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-KzcaK1l6qWGqKR.jpg

Gold/25

IMG_4054.JPG

Rubies

IMG_3866.JPG

HoF

IMG_3508.JPG

Beast mode

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-uT2uUCTPCvo.jpg

Some old school

IMG_4504.JPG

RB1.JPG

RB2.JPG

Fav

IMG_4502.JPG

Last edited:
I am always a sucker for an old Skybox Ruby.
Damn fine cardboard mate, love the expression on that last card :D

I'd never heard of the Champions Portraits set until I seen this listed - looked up some other prices and could barely find any sales they're so rare showing up! Has a tiny ding on the left bottom corner but can't be picky with these kind of cards !

Thanks for looking in mate!

That rubies is the poor cousin of the other bigger rubies , I think it was in the $350 range, about 1/20th the price of the other one so I was happy to get it!

I think I’ve got about 250 graded cards and 500 raw so only about 3000 to go 😂

Not my goal to get all cards at the moment - mainly ones that catch my eye. I tried that about 10 years ago and got to about 1250 before I got frustrated and sold them off and took a break.

Last edited:
Great pick ups — a lot to unpack there!

Just to be consistent the '90s are my favourites as always. The Planet Metal is very cool, I'm always sad when Olajuwon doesn't have a card in some of these insert sets.

Sweet Shot and Respect the Game look nice too and I remember the Flight Team fondly — I bought a box of this back in the day and pulled a Jamal Tinsley RC gold (/50). I spent way too long hoping he would become a thing as it was the lowest serial number card I had pulled!

A couple of questions if you wanted to indulge me...

The Gold /10 and /25 from various Panini releases, what sort of prices do they run? Is Gold say more valuable than the "Mirror" (usually /25) parallels that seem to be reasonably priced?

How does a PSA 8 affect the price of the Rubies (or other '90s) cards? Does that increase the price or is that a "bad" grade and decreases it? What about the PSA 7 for the Wallace? I'm not a graded card buyer and the few I have I have only bought because the price has been similar/lower than what I would buy ungraded for so a little clueless. PSA 7 for the Brown must increase it — I think I can figure that one out!

Thanks, and great cards as always.

Great pick ups — a lot to unpack there!

Just to be consistent the '90s are my favourites as always. The Planet Metal is very cool, I'm always sad when Olajuwon doesn't have a card in some of these insert sets.

Sweet Shot and Respect the Game look nice too and I remember the Flight Team fondly — I bought a box of this back in the day and pulled a Jamal Tinsley RC gold (/50). I spent way too long hoping he would become a thing as it was the lowest serial number card I had pulled!

A couple of questions if you wanted to indulge me...

The Gold /10 and /25 from various Panini releases, what sort of prices do they run? Is Gold say more valuable than the "Mirror" (usually /25) parallels that seem to be reasonably priced?

How does a PSA 8 affect the price of the Rubies (or other '90s) cards? Does that increase the price or is that a "bad" grade and decreases it? What about the PSA 7 for the Wallace? I'm not a graded card buyer and the few I have I have only bought because the price has been similar/lower than what I would buy ungraded for so a little clueless. PSA 7 for the Brown must increase it — I think I can figure that one out!

Thanks, and great cards as always.

Thanks for looking in mate, questions always welcomed!

Shame about no Hakeem in some of those sets, especially Planet Metal! I don't even look at the checklist sometimes since I'm usually just looking for KG cards, that surprises me sometimes the names that aren't in sets!

Yes - anything Gold/10 is usually way higher price than Gold or Mirror/25 - I guess it falls in the debate of gold and "true" gold like RC vs "true RC" - I dunno, maybe. And then you have your first year Prizm gold/10 going way higher than any other Prizm gold /10 too. The mirrors are great cards still though!

PSA 8 is a very good grade for the Rubies and would be more expensive than ungraded for sure, depends on how condition sensitive the set is too as to what is a good grade and also with rubies and the like the grading is also about it being authentic. At least having an eye run over it is good since there's lots of Fleer/Skybox fakes after the bankruptcy auction etc.

The Wallace PSA 7 I got at a good price and it’s a pop1 at the moment - I mainly went for that since Finest cards that are graded with the protector on always are in with a chance at a crack and resub if I want to peel the film off. When they grade that I doubt they can see the surface under the protector so I'd look at some of those being lower than if they were peeled because they were looking at the film and how could that be perfect? Well, that's my logic anyway!

cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks @GarnettFan4Life, interesting thoughts as always.

What's PSA's reputation like these days for identifying fakes of this era? I know in the past they had terrible problems with grading counterfeit PMGs as authentic and the same for '84-85 Star. I always thought the only card I would target as graded would be an Olajuwon XRC. However after reading how unreliable graded versions were I ended up doing my own research and relying on my own knowledge.

The Mirror /25s seem very cheap for whatever reason, I aim to pick up Olajuwon for under $10 USD and it isn't too hard. As I branch out a bit I was thinking about targeting some of the various Panini parallels more specifically and I guess naively expecting they may not be too expensive!

Thanks @GarnettFan4Life, interesting thoughts as always.

What's PSA's reputation like these days for identifying fakes of this era? I know in the past they had terrible problems with grading counterfeit PMGs as authentic and the same for '84-85 Star. I always thought the only card I would target as graded would be an Olajuwon XRC. However after reading how unreliable graded versions were I ended up doing my own research and relying on my own knowledge.

The Mirror /25s seem very cheap for whatever reason, I aim to pick up Olajuwon for under $10 USD and it isn't too hard. As I branch out a bit I was thinking about targeting some of the various Panini parallels more specifically and I guess naively expecting they may not be too expensive!

They are getting better imo - there hasn't been many that slipped by the graders even as volume has increased 10x

I think there'll always be the chance of good fakes getting through until they go 100% A.I. grading but I'm not sure if I want that to happen. I'd have to think about it!

Yeah Gold parallels have such a historic love/eye appeal behind them it makes sense they stand above the rest but some of the prices are eye watering aren't they! I just keep an eye on lower graded copies of raw that might slip by in auctions or other sites. I can't justify paying $2000 on a card at the moment even if it is Gold/10 or whatever, not that well off!

Star Rubies and Planet Metal are the pick of the litter for me - although a very sneaky case hit wth the HOF Contenders which a lo tof peopel aren;t aware of.

For a low end set Hoops has soem really nice looking inserts - Legends of the Game ftw!

Back
Top Bottom